PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Stacked late game weapon for Crusader

Bowbreaker
2021-05-27, 02:33 PM
Hey guys.

I am playing a LE Crusader (ToB) and am looking for tips when it comes to weapon enchantments.

Our DM has the policy that one can "upgrade" their weapon. As in, if one wants to just add enchantments to their weapon they just have to pay the difference in weapon price, not buy a whole new weapon with all the previous plus the new enchantment. I think that's a pretty normal policy to have.

Anyway, this is the first time I play a martial character in a campaign that is generous enough in gold and XP that weapon planning is a major part of character planning. Here's what I've got so far:

My base weapon is a Greatsword. I started with a Longsword + Shield, but we also have a Psychic Warrior in our party that is currently a better tank than me, so I switched. If I need a shield in the future I guess I'll animate one. The Greatsword is already at the mandatory +1 that I need before putting anything else on it.
I recently got together the 6000gp that I need for the equivalent of a +2 weapon. My thought was for my first enchantment to be Vicious, due to it being both the highest damage output and also synergizing with the Steely Resolve/Furious Counterstrike class feature, my decent self healing from the Martial Spirit Stance and Crusader Strike maneuver, and because the DM allowed us all to purchase Healing Belts. After that I thought I'd save up 24,000gp (while spending a bit on Bunko's Bargain Basement style knickknacks whenever I feel the urge to shop prematurely) and get the Vampiric enchantment next as my +4 total equivalent. Vampiric adds another 1d6 while also negating the negatives from Vicious on average without negating the synergy it has with Steely Resolve/Furious Counterstrike. And of course it keeps the flavor of a Dark Crusader After that I haven't thought about it yet.

So what do you guys think? Am I overlooking something important? Do you have any ideas you think are better? Or suggestions on where to continue after that? Or know of secondary must have magic items that complement this build?

Any constructive comments or tips are welcome.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-27, 02:59 PM
Vicious is pretty terrible, as is Vampiric (for the cost).

Assuming you've got Extra Granted Maneuver, you can use a given maneuver once every three turns. Assuming you've got the amazing White Raven charge maneuvers, you should get Valorous (+1) from Unapproachable East. That causes the weapon to deal double damage on a charge attack. So keep Battle Leader's Charge (2nd) forever, take War Leader's Charge (6th), and eventually add War Master's Charge (9th) and you can just use one of those every round. Once you hit 11th level you can charge twice every three rounds.

Before you even go upgrading that, a greatsword is pretty mundane for a signature weapon. If you've got a feat to spare on Exotic Weapon Proficiency, get a Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer from MMIV p101. That deals 1d12 damage at medium size, and has a natural 19-20/x4 threat and crit multiplier. The only thing better would be a Kaorti Resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Falchion (also exotic) for 2d4 damage and a natural 18-20/x4 crit, but that's harder to obtain and needs to already be magical to avoid it deteriorating.

If you get the Falchion, make it Keen (+1), or the Greathammer can be made Impact (+1) from MIC.

If you have a high Con score, Sudden Stunning in DMG2 is +2,000 gp.

If you can get the CA version of Magebane (+1) instead of the nerfed MIC version, absolutely do that.

If you want your weapon to heal you, Wrathful Healing (+3) from Enemies & Allies makes it heal you for half of all the damage it deals on each attack.

Also consider the weapon augment crystals in MIC p64.

Another non-enhancement-priced effect is Displacement in Oriental Adventures, which costs +100,000 gp but when you wield the weapon every attack has a 50% chance to miss you. A step down from that is Blurring in the same book for +50,000 gp and a 20% miss chance, so get that first then upgrade it to Displacement.

Troacctid
2021-05-27, 03:17 PM
I agree with Vicious, really good combo with steely resolve. You might like Wrathful Healing better than Vampiric—it's +3, but it heals you back half the damage you deal with every attack, which is a little bit silly.

I really like using a sword of virtue beyond reproach or manticore greatsword as the base, since they're very cost-efficient. For +1 properties, Martial Discipline for your favorite stance is great; Keen is solid; Spell-Storing (or Bloodstone) is great if you have a caster in the party; Intercepting gives you extra attacks; and Bloodfeeding is an excellent combo with Vicious. Since you're looking at high-end high-level swords, you should probably also grab some flat-cost enhancements like Truesilver, Aquatic, Icy Surge, and Sudden Stunning.

Check the useful items spreadsheet in my signature for some more ideas.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-27, 03:47 PM
It's part of the crafting rules that you can enhance an already-enhanced weapon with other enhancements.

A Fine-sized riverine +1 sizing/morphing/metalline/skillful/aptitude/warning/eager shuriken would make for a fantastic catch-all weapon, whenever you need something unusual for the job at hand. It also makes for an amazing all-purpose tool outside of combat, especially if you're clever with how you use it. For instance, blocking off one side of a hallway with a riverine heavy shield just the right size and shape to wedge tightly into the walls, floor, and ceiling, or wedging a door shut by making it a quarterstaff large enough to wedge between it and the wall or pillar or plinth behind it. Fine-sized shurikens weigh basically nothing, so making one out of riverine might cost you 1 cp, if you round up. Adding on the Hank's bow enhancement from the WotC web article means infinite ammo no matter what ranged weapon you turn it into.

Also, go to the MIC and stack a bunch of weapon enhancements on a lesser weapon crystal. 1d6 of a bunch of energy types, additional hardness vs sunder attempts, and ghost touch for really cheap.

You may also want to get the tooth of Leraje, from Tome of Magic. 1/day greater magic weapon, CL 20. +5 enhancement bonus to one weapon, all day long, for cheap. And if there's a spellthief in the party, they can enhance everyone's weapon using your tooth.

Bowbreaker
2021-05-27, 03:51 PM
Vicious is pretty terrible, as is Vampiric (for the cost).

Assuming you've got Extra Granted Maneuver, you can use a given maneuver once every three turns. Assuming you've got the amazing White Raven charge maneuvers, you should get Valorous (+1) from Unapproachable East. That causes the weapon to deal double damage on a charge attack. So keep Battle Leader's Charge (2nd) forever, take War Leader's Charge (6th), and eventually add War Master's Charge (9th) and you can just use one of those every round. Once you hit 11th level you can charge twice every three rounds.

Before you even go upgrading that, a greatsword is pretty mundane for a signature weapon. If you've got a feat to spare on Exotic Weapon Proficiency, get a Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer from MMIV p101. That deals 1d12 damage at medium size, and has a natural 19-20/x4 threat and crit multiplier. The only thing better would be a Kaorti Resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Falchion (also exotic) for 2d4 damage and a natural 18-20/x4 crit, but that's harder to obtain and needs to already be magical to avoid it deteriorating.

If you get the Falchion, make it Keen (+1), or the Greathammer can be made Impact (+1) from MIC.

If you have a high Con score, Sudden Stunning in DMG2 is +2,000 gp.

If you can get the CA version of Magebane (+1) instead of the nerfed MIC version, absolutely do that.

If you want your weapon to heal you, Wrathful Healing (+3) from Enemies & Allies makes it heal you for half of all the damage it deals on each attack.

Also consider the weapon augment crystals in MIC p64.

Another non-enhancement-priced effect is Displacement in Oriental Adventures, which costs +100,000 gp but when you wield the weapon every attack has a 50% chance to miss you. A step down from that is Blurring in the same book for +50,000 gp and a 20% miss chance, so get that first then upgrade it to Displacement.

What makes Vicious so terrible? Currently I've had a lot of overhealing and getting damaged gives me attack and damage (+2 max right now).

Charging wise, the DM like to put us into cramped underground spaces against minion summoning casters a lot and isn't forgiving when it comes to deciding whether an approach is straight enough to charge. Also, the minions aren't small and numerous enough usually for charge-kill, charge-kill, charge-kill to work. All in all that meant that Battle Leader's Charge often was a dead card after the first couple of turns, at least until I found myself disengaged and in a straight line against enemies that didn't cast Web or whatever. Is there some other trick to charge ever or every other round without suffering from constant AoO?

I also don't have all those feats available. Crusaders get zero class feats and I sadly spent my feats on other things. I didn't take Extra Granted Maneuver because at the time I figured that all five of my Maneuvers were worth using anyway. Taking the Exotic Weapon Feat on top of that will have to wait quite a while.

Another thing is that out of the last five quests we were at, four heavily featured crit immune monsters like elementals and undead. I'd rather not go too all in on crits. Although, on the other hand Vampiric doesn't work on those either...

Sudden Stunning looks interesting, but keys off of Cha, not Con. No matter. Both of those are 18 for me. I don't quite understand how it works though. How often per day can I use it? Can I put it on a Greatsword? Also, does it always cost just 2000gp, no matter how magically overloaded my weapon already is? In that case it seems like something I should always get eventually. The price is pretty damn cheap even for a once a day kind of thing, right?

I don't think that the DM will allow me to take something that got nerfed later. I wouldn't in his place.

I didn't even know Enemies & Allies was a thing that existed. Haven't seen any of the stuff in there recommended in any guides I've read. +3 is damn steep for pure healing as well and I don't think I need it.

Definitely going for Augment Crystals. Thought of sticking a Least Returning on pretty much any weapon I have. But the DM ruled that we have to go to a more cosmopolitan and magical city to get those first, so I haven't yet. Do you have any special recommendations?

Thank you for your suggestions. All in all I am most interested in Sudden Stunning and have become less sure about Vampiric. Haven't quite understood what's so bad about Vicious yet though. A +1 attack and 2d6+1 damage enchantment for a mere +1 cost seems like the best I can possibly get right now.

Troacctid
2021-05-27, 04:09 PM
Nothing's wrong with Vicious. It's great.

I didn't include weapon crystals in my post but yeah, they're great too. I almost always just get an energy assault crystal for the extra damage, but sometimes I don't mind having the one that grants ghost touch or the one that heals you. MaxiDuRaritry loves to suggest combining weapon crystals together, but I personally think that's too cheesy. You can switch between crystals if you really need to.

If you are facing a lot of summoner mages, then effects like Greater Dispelling and Illusion Bane become more appealing. Add those to my list.

Bowbreaker
2021-05-27, 04:18 PM
I agree with Vicious, really good combo with steely resolve. You might like Wrathful Healing better than Vampiric—it's +3, but it heals you back half the damage you deal with every attack, which is a little bit silly.

I really like using a sword of virtue beyond reproach or manticore greatsword as the base, since they're very cost-efficient. For +1 properties, Martial Discipline for your favorite stance is great; Keen is solid; Spell-Storing (or Bloodstone) is great if you have a caster in the party; Intercepting gives you extra attacks; and Bloodfeeding is an excellent combo with Vicious. Since you're looking at high-end high-level swords, you should probably also grab some flat-cost enhancements like Truesilver, Aquatic, Icy Surge, and Sudden Stunning.

Check the useful items spreadsheet in my signature for some more ideas.

I don't think I am going to cough up the cost for a +3 on a pure healing enchantment any time soon. But maybe...
How does interact with damage enchantments like Vicious?
Or with the self-harm of Vicious?
Or with damage I do during attacks that are part of a damaging Maneuver?

Sword of Virtue Beyond Reproach is a no go, since as a LE, my virtue is beyond a joke. The Manticore Greatsword seems juicy on the other hand, though I don't know if the DM will allow me to just buy it.

I assume Bloodfeeding synergizes with Vicious because it gets double the charges due to harming me as well? I'll have to ask my DM how he is going to rule that, especially in cases where none of that damage actually goes through straight away due to Steely Resolve.

Our only caster is a Druid. Is Spell Storing still potentially worth it? I assume the point is that he can cast a spell into it before going to sleep, thus giving the party +1 spell a day, as long as it is an offensive spell, right?

What does Intercepting do and where can I find it? And what books are Truesilver and Icy Surge from?

Your useful item spreadsheet looks quite awesome, but I have a hard time navigating it since the content seems to be listed in no particular order. It was a great help for finding some of your suggestions using ctrl+f, but otherwise I don't know how much I will get out of it without reading the whole thing.

Thanks a lot all in all.

It's part of the crafting rules that you can enhance an already-enhanced weapon with other enhancements.

A Fine-sized riverine +1 sizing/morphing/metalline/skillful/aptitude/warning/eager shuriken would make for a fantastic catch-all weapon, whenever you need something unusual for the job at hand. It also makes for an amazing all-purpose tool outside of combat, especially if you're clever with how you use it. For instance, blocking off one side of a hallway with a riverine heavy shield just the right size and shape to wedge tightly into the walls, floor, and ceiling, or wedging a door shut by making it a quarterstaff large enough to wedge between it and the wall or pillar or plinth behind it. Fine-sized shurikens weigh basically nothing, so making one out of riverine might cost you 1 cp, if you round up. Adding on the Hank's bow enhancement from the WotC web article means infinite ammo no matter what ranged weapon you turn it into.

Also, go to the MIC and stack a bunch of weapon enhancements on a lesser weapon crystal. 1d6 of a bunch of energy types, additional hardness vs sunder attempts, and ghost touch for really cheap.

You may also want to get the tooth of Leraje, from Tome of Magic. 1/day greater magic weapon, CL 20. +5 enhancement bonus to one weapon, all day long, for cheap. And if there's a spellthief in the party, they can enhance everyone's weapon using your tooth.

Thanks. Those are all excellent suggestions. But could you tell me which books I should peruse to cobble together that Fine-sized riverine +1 sizing/morphing/metalline/skillful/aptitude/warning/eager shuriken?

Anthrowhale
2021-05-27, 04:23 PM
If someone in the party can cast Greater Mighty Wallop on your weapon once per day, then it's hard to beat picking up an L3 pearl of power (9K gp) to enable this and using a Greatclub as your base weapon. You'll eventually have a Greatclub that does 6d8 damage on hit. Another good choice in the same vein is a Lucerne Hammer which does less damage but has reach. If you are allowed strange sources, then then Executioner's Mace (Dungeon 135, page 61) eventually gives you 8d6 base damage which is slightly more than the Greatclub's 6d8 in expectation. All of these are martial weapons.

Troacctid
2021-05-27, 04:28 PM
I don't think I am going to cough up the cost for a +3 on a pure healing enchantment any time soon. But maybe...
How does interact with damage enchantments like Vicious?
Or with the self-harm of Vicious?
Or with damage I do during attacks that are part of a damaging Maneuver?
It includes bonus damage in the calculation. If you're hitting for 2d6+8d8+5d6+12, you count it all.

Our only caster is a Druid. Is Spell Storing still potentially worth it? I assume the point is that he can cast a spell into it before going to sleep, thus giving the party +1 spell a day, as long as it is an offensive spell, right?
It casts the spell as a free action when you hit a target, so you get to nail them with both your attack and the spell at the same time. It's typically used to do tons of bonus damage with something like shocking grasp, or to debuff with something like dispel magic or bestow curse.

What does Intercepting do and where can I find it? And what books are Truesilver and Icy Surge from?
Forge of War, Ghostwalk (incl. its 3.5 update booklet which changed the price), and DMG2 respectively.

Your useful item spreadsheet looks quite awesome, but I have a hard time navigating it since the content seems to be listed in no particular order. It was a great help for finding some of your suggestions using ctrl+f, but otherwise I don't know how much I will get out of it without reading the whole thing.
It's sorted by price, lowest to highest. You can set a filter view to only look at weapons; just hit the filter button.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-27, 04:29 PM
For weapon crystals, Return and Revelation are probably the only two worth considering under normal circumstances.

While Vicious has traditionally been considered one of the worst weapon enhancements, there are always exceptions to everything. In this case, if you're not taking enough damage to benefit from Furious Counterstrike, then it's definitely worthwhile. It's just that it becomes a real bummer to find yourself in a difficult fight only for your own weapon to be killing yourself harder every time you attack. But you're playing a character who can manage that better than any other, so it should be fine.

Sudden Stunning is indeed always just +2,000 gp no matter what the weapon's current enhancement bonus is. It says it can be activated a number of times per day equal to your Cha bonus. I think it was meant to be updated by MIC's Stunning Surge (+1) property, but due to the naming difference both are still valid.

Elves
2021-05-27, 04:32 PM
Vicious weapon plus wrathful healing is free damage.
Wrathful healing is one of the oddest things WOTC ever printed. They're normally so stingy with healing.

If someone in the party can cast Greater Mighty Wallop on your weapon once per day, then it's hard to beat picking up an L3 pearl of power (9K gp) to enable this and using a Greatclub as your base weapon. You'll eventually have a Greatclub that does 6d8 damage on hit. Another good choice in the same vein is a Lucerne Hammer which does less damage but has reach. If you are allowed strange sources, then then Executioner's Mace (Dungeon 135, page 61) eventually gives you 8d6 base damage which is slightly more than the Greatclub's 6d8 in expectation. All of these are martial weapons.
Wallop can be put on anything for a few gp. Use CL1 weapon shift to make it a bludgeoning weapon, apply wallop and wait for weapon shift to expire. There's no rule I know of that would cause wallop to end once it reverts to its original form.

Bowbreaker
2021-05-27, 04:33 PM

Alas, there are no arcane casters in my party. We currently are a Druid, a Psychic Warrior, a Rogue and me, the Crusader. And we are all rich enough to resurrect a party member and our favorite quest giver can teleport and leaves us with a one-use item that we can use to call him when outside of the dangerous and interesting areas that he doesn't want to be spotted in, which means that we won't change party composition any time soon.

Anthrowhale
2021-05-27, 04:51 PM
Wallop can be put on anything for a few gp. Use CL1 weapon shift to make it a bludgeoning weapon, apply wallop and wait for weapon shift to expire. There's no rule I know of that would cause wallop to end once it reverts to its original form.
The word 'bludgeoning' is used both in the targeting (which weapon shift addresses) and the effect (which weapon shift does not, after it expires), so I wouldn't be surprised if a DM says 'no'. Of course, there are ways to make weapon shift persistent with more effort.

Alas, there are no arcane casters in my party. We currently are a Druid, a Psychic Warrior, a Rogue and me, the Crusader. And we are all rich enough to resurrect a party member and our favorite quest giver can teleport and leaves us with a one-use item that we can use to call him when outside of the dangerous and interesting areas that he doesn't want to be spotted in, which means that we won't change party composition any time soon.
So, can your quest-giver cast greater mighty wallop?

Bowbreaker
2021-05-27, 04:53 PM
Vicious weapon plus wrathful healing is free damage.
Wrathful healing is one of the oddest things WOTC ever printed. They're normally so stingy with healing.

I could see my DM disallowing both of these. The first seems simply OP as written while the second is one of those RAW tricks that rarely if ever survive contact with a human DM.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-27, 04:54 PM
Thanks. Those are all excellent suggestions. But could you tell me which books I should peruse to cobble together that Fine-sized riverine +1 sizing/morphing/metalline/skillful/aptitude/warning/eager shuriken?Everything but riverine, aptitude, and skillful are in the Magic Item Compendium. Riverine is from Stormwrack. Aptitude is from Tome of Battle. And skillful is from Complete Arcane. Hank's energy bow is here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a

Bowbreaker
2021-05-27, 04:59 PM
So, can your quest-giver cast greater mighty wallop?

Huh. Probably, I guess. He's a Wizard so if not, then I could buy him a scroll of it as a good business bonus. That said, I see multiple problems.

A) The quest giver sees us once per quest and quests sometimes last multiple days.
B) My character has no IC reason whatsoever to know about that spell. I guess I could roll a Spellcraft to see if I've heard of it, but with a total modifier of +4 there's no guarantee I pass that.
C) We've done two quests for the guy (out of five). There's no guarantee that he's a long term fixture of the campaign.

Elves
2021-05-27, 05:10 PM
The word 'bludgeoning' is used both in the targeting (which weapon shift addresses) and the effect (which weapon shift does not, after it expires), so I wouldn't be surprised if a DM says 'no'.
Have to eat my words, it is in the effect text.

Bowbreaker
2021-05-27, 05:24 PM

I have a few more questions about this:
If the shuriken has metalline, why should it also be made of riverine?
Is skillful worth it on a martial class?
Are warning and eager just added on because they should always be if money is not an issue? If money is not actually yet infinite, wouldn't it more economic to get a +1 warning spiked gauntlet and a +1 eager spiked gauntlet and instead just jam a Crystal of Least Return into that fine-sized shuriken somehow? Or is my math off?
Given that I have no weapon feats whatsoever, should I ignore the aptitude enchantment?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-27, 05:38 PM
I have a few more questions about this:Sure!

If the shuriken has metalline, why should it also be made of riverine?Riverine is indestructible via normal means. Basically only disintegration and rods of cancellation will destroy it. A micron-thin string of it can literally hold up the universe, since it's got infinite tensile strength.

You'll want metalline in addition to that so you can use the ability to overcome DR/hardness via adamantine. And cold iron and alchemical silver for DR, as well. Steel and mithral...aren't very useful, honestly.

Is skillful worth it on a martial class?Two words: exotic weapons.

Are warning and eager just added on because they should always be if money is not an issue? If money is not actually yet infinite, wouldn't it more economic to get a +1 warning spiked gauntlet and a +1 eager spiked gauntlet and instead just jam a Crystal of Least Return into that fine-sized shuriken somehow? Or is my math off?Shurikens cost 1/50 the price of a normal weapon. Go ahead and add them to a separate +1 morphing/sizing shuriken, instead, to save a few hundred gp, I guess. Wear it as a poison ring (from Dragon Compendium) so you're always wielding it. Don't ever, ever throw your shurikens. Ever.

Given that I have no weapon feats whatsoever, should I ignore the aptitude enchantment?You can buy feats (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?400840-List-of-Feat-Granting-Items-Locations-Grafts). Feel free to add Boomerang Daze via that and the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle. Also, other fun stuff like Beast Strike to add your weapon damage to your unarmed strikes. (Or, functionally, your unarmed strike damage to your weapon damage.)

Anthrowhale
2021-05-27, 05:45 PM
That said, I see multiple problems.

That doesn't sound easily overcome.

A couple other notes:
1) The druid could get Use Magic Device as a class skill (via, for example, the Apprentice Spellcaster feat), and then pick up Channel Charge with another feat, then pick up a cheapo staff with Greater Mighty Wallop and 1 charge left, then use a 4th level slot to cast GMW. That's an expensive approach (2 feats) which would require some substantial use of the retraining rules in the PHBII. It would however enable your party's only spellcaster to access many other off-list low-level spells which could be fun and useful.

2) The "Brambles" spell on the Druid list lasts for only a single encounter, but the +10 damage by level 10 is also a good damage booster. If you pick up some L2 pearls of power, the druid could cast it whenever there is a free round before combat (sometimes, you know in advance when combat is about to happen). The catch is that you must use a wooden melee weapon. That usually means some form of club, although there is a special material wood in Magic of Faerun which can substituted for metal to expand the scope of valid targets.

Maat Mons
2021-05-27, 06:00 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of greatswords.

I acknowledge the awesomeness of Greater Mighty Wallop. But no one in your party can cast it for you.

Falchions are also good. You do give up a little damage on crit-immune enemies. But it can be an okay trade if the campaign isn't focused too heavily on those types of enemies.

One caution I'll give you is that, even though you can add more magic to an existing magic weapon, you can't, generally, alter it's base composition. So if you plan to eventually have a weapon made out of a special material, there's only so much money you'll want to pump into your current (presumably steel) weapon.

If you don't want to commit to any one weapon, there's an Eberron book called The Forge of War that has an interesting item called a Dragonshard Pommel Stone (on page 121). You can get the pommel stone enchanted with any magical effects that could be placed on a melee weapon. It costs +25% of what just buying the weapon would cost. But you can thereafter attach the pommel stone to any masterwork melee weapon, and the weapon gains the magical abilities that were placed in the pommel stone. So you can have a golf-club bag of weapons for every occasion, and you can switch the magical effects onto whichever one is best for the situation whenever you have a minute. (It does take an actual minute though. You won't be doing this mid-combat.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-27, 06:02 PM
Hire a spellcaster or three for this trick. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?546179-Un-Hallow-that-Stacks)

At-will buffs for an entire year, and they don't cost nearly as much as you'd think.

Bowbreaker
2021-05-27, 06:11 PM
Sure!
Shurikens cost 1/50 the price of a normal weapon. Go ahead and add them to a separate +1 morphing/sizing shuriken, instead, to save a few hundred gp, I guess. Wear it as a poison ring (from Dragon Compendium) so you're always wielding it.

Wait, what? Are you sure that you can just enchant single pieces of ammunition and pay 1/50th of the price? And that all those enchantments can go on ammunition and don't require melee weapons?
I mean, maybe that's true by strict RAW, but enchanting morphing on a single piece of ammo for a mere 160gp and then permanently having a weapon on which all enchantments cost 1/50th seems too disgusting for any DM to ever allow outside of a crack one-off. And that's before all of those other shenanigans. Like, I'll tell him about the idea just to have a good laugh, but I don't expect anyone to ever approve it.

Although that makes me curious. Under what circumstances have you gotten to play around with this crazy swiss army knife of yours?

Sure!
You can buy feats. Feel free to add Boomerang Daze via that and the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle. Also, other fun stuff like Beast Strike to add your weapon damage to your unarmed strikes. (Or, functionally, your unarmed strike damage to your weapon damage.)

Could you elaborate how that works? I get that there are canon magic items that give certain feats, but how does that translate to getting weapon feats not in that list?
Also, Beast Strike seems to only add natural weapon damage (claw and slam specifically) to unarmed strike and grapple attacks. How do you extend that to all weapons?

Troacctid
2021-05-27, 06:41 PM
Wait, what? Are you sure that you can just enchant single pieces of ammunition and pay 1/50th of the price? And that all those enchantments can go on ammunition and don't require melee weapons?
I mean, maybe that's true by strict RAW, but enchanting morphing on a single piece of ammo for a mere 160gp and then permanently having a weapon on which all enchantments cost 1/50th seems too disgusting for any DM to ever allow outside of a crack one-off. And that's before all of those other shenanigans. Like, I'll tell him about the idea just to have a good laugh, but I don't expect anyone to ever approve it.
Ammunition is traditionally made in batches of 50 rather than individually.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-27, 06:42 PM
Wait, what? Are you sure that you can just enchant single pieces of ammunition and pay 1/50th of the price? And that all those enchantments can go on ammunition and don't require melee weapons?There are numerous singular pieces of magic ammunition laid out in the rules, some of which are even in the DMG itself. Look at the sleep and (greater) slaying arrows. They even have the costs recorded for crafting them individually. So obviously, yes, you can enhance ammo singularly.

Also, arrows can also be used as melee weapons, so if need be, enhance one of those with melee enhancements.

I mean, maybe that's true by strict RAW, but enchanting morphing on a single piece of ammo for a mere 160gp and then permanently having a weapon on which all enchantments cost 1/50th seems too disgusting for any DM to ever allow outside of a crack one-off. And that's before all of those other shenanigans. Like, I'll tell him about the idea just to have a good laugh, but I don't expect anyone to ever approve it.Feel free to tell him you'll only use it as a multitool and won't use it in combat? Do note that it's more expensive than shapesand, which does similar stuff, and you can enhance shapesand in the shape of a masterwork weapon so it's a +1 sizing weapon. This is just paying more for additional benefits.

Although that makes me curious. Under what circumstances have you gotten to play around with this crazy swiss army knife of yours?I haven't played an actual game in some time, since most people around where I live moved on to 4th Edition (mega-bleh), but given that DMs like Emperor Tippy exist...

Clearly, some people do allow such things, although they tend to require tricks like that just to survive.

Could you elaborate how that works? I get that there are canon magic items that give certain feats, but how does that translate to getting weapon feats not in that list?Buy feats in some way or another, such as Iron Will through the Otyugh Hole location, then DCFS them into other feats. Some people insist that you can use that to get infinite feats (such as by using an ioun stone to get Alertness, casting the DCFS, then removing and re-equipping, then repeating), but I think that removing the original source of the feat removes the DCFS'd feat, which would come back when re-equipped.

Also, Beast Strike seems to only add natural weapon damage (claw and slam specifically) to unarmed strike and grapple attacks. How do you extend that to all weapons?Aptitude makes your weapon count as either an unarmed strike or as a claw/slam in that scenario, meaning either you could add a claw/slam to your unarmed strike weapon damage, or you could add your claw/slam weapon damage to your unarmed strike. Or if you had two aptitude weapons, you could add your claw/slam weapon 1's damage to your unarmed strike weapon 2's damage.

Darg
2021-05-27, 11:17 PM
Vicious is really good if you have some damage reduction. Despite the text saying "energy," the extra damage is done by your weapon similar to sneak attack. This also applies to the self damage.

Particle_Man
2021-05-27, 11:28 PM
As a DM I would only allow morphing ammunition to turn into alternative pieces of ammunition. Check your DM’s cheese tolerance on that one.

By the way who and what are your enemies? If you are fighting chaotic or good enemies a lot, then axiomatic or unholy or both might be worth a look.

Are you into taking prisoners for trial and or interrogation? Then, oddly, merciful might be a choice.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-27, 11:33 PM
Hmm. Turning a raptor arrow (MIC) into a morphing/sizing/etc weapon would give it Bane: Everything and make it so you could throw it without much issue.