PDA

View Full Version : Optimization looking for a way to cast from a wand without having to hold the wand.

Thac0 Redeye
2021-05-27, 05:24 PM
I'm playing a melee cleric. I have a greatsword and want to cast spells (mostly swift actions) before melee full attack. I already have a wand in the sword via wand chamber. but what about a second wand?

FYI we are not playing ebberron so no wand sheath warforged.

Thanks

Khedrac
2021-05-28, 02:39 AM
Option 1 (overpriced - see 2) - get a Spare Hand (MIC p137) can hold a wand, yes it cannot use it but since transferring items is exlicitly a free action you can take one hand off the greatsword, swap the wand into the available real hand, use the wand, swap back and re-grasp the greatsword (akin to accessing a material component).

Option 2 (slow, but up to 4 wands for same price) - get a Wand Bracelet (MIC p147) - free action take hand off greatsword, swift action access one of the 4 items in the bracelet, standard action use wand, move action return wand to bracelet, free action re-grasp greatsword.

Edit: Option 2 won't work for swift action spells, but option 1 is belt slot which you may not want to give up.

Troacctid
2021-05-28, 02:41 AM
Put a wand chamber in your spiked gauntlets.

aglondier
2021-05-28, 06:47 AM
Wand Chamber, 200gp, put it the hilt of your greatsword. No need to swap hands or anything.

FrogInATopHat
2021-05-28, 10:38 AM
Wand Chamber, 200gp, put it the hilt of your greatsword. No need to swap hands or anything.

I'm not sure you read the post.

I already have a wand in the sword via wand chamber.

noob
2021-05-28, 11:21 AM
I'm playing a melee cleric. I have a greatsword and want to cast spells (mostly swift actions) before melee full attack. I already have a wand in the sword via wand chamber. but what about a second wand?

FYI we are not playing ebberron so no wand sheath warforged.

Thanks

No rules about wand chambers I have seen prevents you from having more than one on a weapon so feel free to put 5 in your greatsword.

Morof Stonehands
2021-05-28, 11:42 AM
No rules about wand chambers I have seen prevents you from having more than one on a weapon so feel free to put 5 in your greatsword.

It’s on pg. 33 at the beginning of the modifications section

“Most pieces of equipment can have only one modification, though double weapons can support two (one on each end).”

Ramza00
2021-05-28, 11:52 AM
Wand Chamber Spiked Gauntlets / Battle Gauntlets, Wand Chamber Armor Spikes, and so on. Legal but your DM can say no,

Wand Chamber plus QuickDraw crystal from MIC. Draw a weapon as a free action, cast spell, drop the weapon after use as a free action. It is now in the environment, so win the combat and pick it up afterwards.

Dwarven Buckler Axe, Boot Blades and several other things can also be Wand Chamber but they need EWP to wield without penalty.

Aracor
2021-05-28, 12:29 PM
Casting Glove from Magic Item Compendium. Stores an item like a Glove of Storing, except you can use a charged item that's inside of it as if it's in your hand.

Particle_Man
2021-05-28, 12:57 PM
As always, Leadership is the uber-feat. Get a cohort or follower that can use your spare wands. ;). If they are all clerics of the same faith, there are even special spells that have better effects on those of the same faith (one first level spell that acts like maximized CLW, for example).

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-28, 01:04 PM
How about this?

The Wand Chamber Fandango (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=12872913&postcount=241)
In Dungeonscape you have wand chambers, which can fit into any weapon with a handle or other solid part that's 6 inches long or greater, and that let you hold and wield a wand without having to drop what's in your hand or draw the wand.

In CPsi you have a feat that lets you use a dorje (or wand, since they're equivalent) as a stabbing weapon.

Wands and dorjes are about a foot long each, are the same shape, and are activated the same way, for the same type of purpose.

This means you can have a whole bunch of dorjes and wands that have wand chambers, which means you can wield a dorje inside a dorje inside a dorje inside a dorje inside a dorje inside a dorje etc etc etc.

YellowJohn
2021-05-28, 02:09 PM
In Dragon Magazine 291 p.51, you will find the Bracer of Wands.

Stores up to 3 wands, activate the wands as though you were holding them.
You can swap them between fights but it burns a charge from a wand the first time you put it in.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-28, 02:15 PM
In Dragon Magazine 291 p.51, you will find the Bracer of Wands.

Stores up to 3 wands, activate the wands as though you were holding them.
You can swap them between fights but it burns a charge from a wand the first time you put it in.In Dungeonscape, there's the wand bracer (shocking, I know). Five wands. 300 gp. You can have one on each arm, and if you have more than two arms, you can have more than two bracers; they're not magic, after all.

If you've got long hair, a braid blade or six could hold one wand chamber each. Then you've got boot blades, knee blades, sleeve blades, armor spikes, an animated shield (that can be used for bashing, so it's also a weapon and can hold a wand chamber), shield spikes, horned helm, bayonets, etc. And I believe there's a close combat blade somewhere that can be added to any weapon that can basically double the number of wand chambers you can have, since you can add them to the additional blades.

aglondier
2021-05-28, 08:38 PM
In Quintessential Paladin (3.0) they introduced Reliquaries, a kind of pouch-like item you wore on your belt that could contain a single magic item, such as a wand or ring, and allow the wearer to use the items abilities without having to draw or wear it. Get a couple of wand reliquaries.

Biggus
2021-05-29, 12:26 PM
In Quintessential Paladin (3.0) they introduced Reliquaries, a kind of pouch-like item you wore on your belt that could contain a single magic item, such as a wand or ring, and allow the wearer to use the items abilities without having to draw or wear it. Get a couple of wand reliquaries.

That's 3rd party isn't it?

aglondier
2021-05-29, 09:54 PM
That's 3rd party isn't it?

Isn't everything?

I wonder what 2nd party entails...

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-29, 10:10 PM
Isn't everything?

I wonder what 2nd party entails...That's when you go behind your 1st party's backs and adventure with someone else.

Lapak
2021-05-29, 10:21 PM
Isn't everything?

I wonder what 2nd party entails...
I mean, going by 1st person/2nd person/3rd person in text as a guideline, 2nd party would be...

... your own houserules and homebrew material.

Remuko
2021-05-29, 10:41 PM
Isn't everything?

No, stuff directly from Wizards of the Coast or w/e with the official D&D logo is first party.

Kaleph
2021-05-31, 06:09 AM
A wand chamber in a floating shield should also work

Khedrac
2021-05-31, 08:43 AM
A wand chamber in a floating shield should also work

Debateable as you are explicitly not holding the shield to use the wand.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-31, 09:11 AM
Debateable as you are explicitly not holding the shield to use the wand.Animated shields are treated as though you're holding them, though.

Animated
Upon command, an animated shield floats within 2 feet of the wielder, protecting her as if she were using it herself but freeing up both her hands. Only one shield can protect a character at a time. A character with an animated shield still takes any penalties associated with shield use, such as armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, and nonproficiency.

You even take the penalties for holding it, with the exception of not actually having to use a hand.

rrwoods
2021-05-31, 11:42 AM
Animated shields are treated as though you're holding them, though.

You even take the penalties for holding it, with the exception of not actually having to use a hand.

This is why phrases like “as if” and “as though” should never be used to describe anything in a game. What does “protecting her as if” actually cover? Only the shield bonus? Cover too if it’s a tower shield? Can she use it for counters that involve the shield?

It doesn’t say “treated as for all purposes”, it just says “protecting her as if” holding the shield.