PDA

View Full Version : looking for metamagic tricks to use with chain spell

Zhepna
2021-05-28, 08:25 AM
Hi,

I'll play a lvl 16 cleric in 3.5 and I'm looking for tricks to use with chain spell. I have access to arcane spell up to level 5 and lvl 6 if it's a sorcerer / wizard spell.

1) If I cast a spell with range=touch and apply the reach metamagic on it, can I also apply persist metamagic on it? The goal would be to make an extended/persist/reach/chain buff spell and apply it to all the party for 48 hours.

I don't know if oculus spell is better for what I try to do.
I read online that Incantatrix and Ocular Spell to turn any non-personal spell chainable. Like chain/Ocularize Haste the party. I don't know which part of Incantatrix they refer to, maybe it's only the metagamagic reducing cost.

2) Is there other tricks that you know?

Aracor
2021-05-28, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I'll play a lvl 16 cleric in 3.5 and I'm looking for tricks to use with chain spell. I have access to arcane spell up to level 5 and lvl 6 if it's a sorcerer / wizard spell.

1) If I cast a spell with range=touch and apply the reach metamagic on it, can I also apply persist metamagic on it? The goal would be to make an extended/persist/reach/chain buff spell and apply it to all the party for 48 hours.
I've seen it ruled both ways. You'll need to ask your GM to be sure of their ruling. RAW probably yes, RAI is much more iffy.

I don't know if oculus spell is better for what I try to do.
I read online that Incantatrix and Ocular Spell to turn any non-personal spell chainable. Like chain/Ocularize Haste the party. I don't know which part of Incantatrix they refer to, maybe it's only the metagamagic reducing cost.
Mostly they're referring to the Incantatrix being able to apply metamagic feats AFTER the spell is already cast with a Spellcraft check. So you hit everyone with the spell, then apply Persist to it to change the duration to 24 hours without needing a slot 5-6 levels higher.

One of the best spells for Chain (at least against creatures that use treasure) is Dispel Magic (or Greater Dispel Magic). You simply target them to get as many buff spells as possible, and target every single item they're wearing (because Dispel Magic can suppress their powers for 1d4 rounds, which is an eternity in combat). And magic items tend to be lower caster level, so it's relatively easy to turn off MANY of them.

Another is Greater Magic Weapon. You can use that to make every weapon your party is carrying (even backup weapons) magical for basically all day.

Darg
2021-05-28, 01:45 PM

Let's put it this way, why go through the trouble? If this is something you want to do and the DM is ok with such a thing, why not use several other factors to facilitate it instead of focusing an entire character concept on it? First up is that the range of touch is a fixed range from the creature and "fixed range" is never actually elaborated. A touch spell will always have the range of "contact." In fact, it's technically more "fixed" than a ray with a range of 30ft (as you can target creatures even closer). Second, holding the charge allows you to take a full-round action to touch up to 6 friends to give each of them the effect (my groups tend to use this to much success). This combo of RAW would allow you to do what you intend for your character right out of the gate to a lesser degree.

You can turn rays without fixed range into touch spells with the Enlightened Fist's Hold Ray ability.