PDA

View Full Version : Diety/divine source for a monster hunter? Google-fu is failing me.

Seekergeek
2021-05-28, 12:54 PM
Hey all. Hoping to pick the brains of folks more familiar with the FR pantheon. My DM is looking for me to firm up my cleric's divine source and I have had no luck in finding something that seems to fit. I'm playing a dhampir light cleric who's a non-undead specific monster hunter type.

The patron/diety/divine source doesn't have to offer the light domain but that would obviously be a bonus for thematics. The main thing is to have an interest in either specifically hunting down monsters or generally protecting civilization and I can spin things out from there. Helm has been the closest I could find but for some reason he isn't really scratching the itch for me.

This is for a published module, if that's helpful. Rime of the Frostmaiden.

hamishspence
2021-05-28, 12:56 PM
A Chaotic Neutral cleric of Malar, God of the Hunt, would make a great monster hunter.

Malarites aren't usually about protecting civilisation - but sects that have reached accommodations with the local authorities, could have an element of that.

RogueJK
2021-05-28, 01:29 PM
Look at some of the Good deities of Nature/Hunting/Tracking/etc., such as Mielikki or Gwaeron Windstrom. I could see any of them sponsoring monster hunters, to go clear out evil/harmful/unnatural creatures and restore peace and the natural order.

Malar is specifically evil. One of the most chaotically evil deities in the FR pantheon, in fact. He revels in the wanton slaughter caused by monsters and evil beasts, and actively seeks to unmake civilization. The opposite of what a civilization-protecting monster hunter would be looking for.

J-H
2021-05-28, 01:42 PM
Lathandar is associated with sun, civilization, and protection IIRC.
Torm is a god of loyalty and good and paladins, so that'd be pretty okay also.

hamishspence
2021-05-28, 01:56 PM
Malar is specifically evil. One of the most chaotically evil deities in the FR pantheon, in fact. He revels in the wanton slaughter caused by monsters and evil beasts, and actively seeks to unmake civilization. The opposite of what a civilization-protecting monster hunter would be looking for.
Yes, but, Malarites modify their behaviour in places where they wish to "get along with the authorities" such as Cormyr.

From Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms

If, for example, the church of Malar in Cormyr is permitted to breed monsters or hunt beasts only in specific areas, the Malarites can by their very presence serve as obstacles to would-be raiders from the Stonelands, Archendale, or Tunland. The presence of such a church would also discourage Sembians from conducting smuggling, livestock rustling, and suchlike along the Thunder Peaks, and cut down on brigands operating across the borders. Genuine marauding monster populations might also be kept in check by the church of Malar. So the Crown of Cormyr handles the church of Malar in this way.

Violent and evil faiths such as those of Malar and Loviatar get along with governments by worshipping largely behind closed doors and always within agreed-on limits, A Malarite in Cormyr or any other well-ruled locale wouldn't think of trying to kidnap innocents, citizens, or government officials to be part of a hunt.

Coming to the aid of Crown agents, sometimes militarily, when a certain summons or alarm is raised is a promise that both the church of Loviatar and Malar gave to the War Wizards. Priests of Loviatar help maintain law and order - and apprehend certain specific individuals when asked - in Marsember, Arabel, and Suzail, and the church of Malar does the same in rural areas. In return, the Malarites are permitted to hunt certain miscreants, some of the royal deer, specific monsters, and specific sorts of beasts - an activity to which they can invite nobles, the wealthy, and others they hope to convert if they so desire.

Another thing worth remembering - 5E has dropped restrictions like "A cleric must be within 1 step of their deity in alignment" and "A cleric may not be TN unless their deity is TN."

Seekergeek
2021-05-28, 05:43 PM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. As always, this community is super helpful.

BigRedJedi
2021-05-28, 06:09 PM
Tempus, if you'd like a greater deity who revels in testing oneself in battle against the greatest foes one can find.

Similarly, Uthgar, who is in 5E an Exarch of Tempus, more specifically focuses on hunting in conjunction with physical prowess to fight the strongest opponents.

Aett_Thorn
2021-05-28, 09:18 PM
Another way to take this could be something like Oghma or Deneir. You’re not hunting monsters to hunt monsters. You’re hunting monsters because you’re a monster anatomist, writing a book about monster physiology. Even in a dangerous place, you might request a few minutes after a kill to take out your book and do some sketches on a monster or two.

Naanomi
2021-05-28, 10:43 PM
Similarly, Uthgar, who is in 5E an Exarch of Tempus
Exarch is a 4e concept that wasn't carried into 5th

If you want to be paid to hunt the monsters (and sell their valuable parts), maybe Waukeen is for you?

Bahamut is big on monster hunting (especially, of course, Chromatic Dragons)

Tymora is classically the patron of adventurers of all stripes

da newt
2021-05-28, 11:31 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hunting_deities

hamishspence
2021-05-29, 03:57 AM
Exarch is a 4e concept that wasn't carried into 5th

The conceit that "really minor deities, often former mortals, exist who are the minions of the major deities" existed before and after 4e - 4e just put a name to it, and that name was "Exarch".

Even if you're not using the name, the idea is still present - that Uthgar is an ex-mortal deity, who works for Tempus.

BigRedJedi
2021-05-29, 10:27 AM
The conceit that "really minor deities, often former mortals, exist who are the minions of the major deities" existed before and after 4e - 4e just put a name to it, and that name was "Exarch".

Even if you're not using the name, the idea is still present - that Uthgar is an ex-mortal deity, who works for Tempus.

This, basically. The name stuck in my head for the concept.

SirDidymus
2021-05-29, 11:17 AM
Selune, goddess of the moon, has tracking listed as part of her portfolio. There are some thematics there for a dhampir light cleric too.

Man_Over_Game
2021-05-29, 03:47 PM
Yes, but, Malarites modify their behaviour in places where they wish to "get along with the authorities" such as Cormyr.

From Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms

If, for example, the church of Malar in Cormyr is permitted to breed monsters or hunt beasts only in specific areas, the Malarites can by their very presence serve as obstacles to would-be raiders from the Stonelands, Archendale, or Tunland. The presence of such a church would also discourage Sembians from conducting smuggling, livestock rustling, and suchlike along the Thunder Peaks, and cut down on brigands operating across the borders. Genuine marauding monster populations might also be kept in check by the church of Malar. So the Crown of Cormyr handles the church of Malar in this way.

Violent and evil faiths such as those of Malar and Loviatar get along with governments by worshipping largely behind closed doors and always within agreed-on limits, A Malarite in Cormyr or any other well-ruled locale wouldn't think of trying to kidnap innocents, citizens, or government officials to be part of a hunt.

Coming to the aid of Crown agents, sometimes militarily, when a certain summons or alarm is raised is a promise that both the church of Loviatar and Malar gave to the War Wizards. Priests of Loviatar help maintain law and order - and apprehend certain specific individuals when asked - in Marsember, Arabel, and Suzail, and the church of Malar does the same in rural areas. In return, the Malarites are permitted to hunt certain miscreants, some of the royal deer, specific monsters, and specific sorts of beasts - an activity to which they can invite nobles, the wealthy, and others they hope to convert if they so desire.

Another thing worth remembering - 5E has dropped restrictions like "A cleric must be within 1 step of their deity in alignment" and "A cleric may not be TN unless their deity is TN."

This guy DnDs.

Naanomi
2021-05-29, 05:04 PM
Demidieties, including subservient ones, have been part of the faerun pantheon since 2e... But they are true gods, they have their own divine realms (not tacked onto some else's astral realm), grant their clerics abilities themselves... Very different than the fancy divine servants 4e called exarchs.

Lots of Gods 4e called exarchs are back to being greater Powers with no relation at all to their 4e 'bosses'; and plenty of Greater Gods used to be mortals... Arguably most of the pantheon (though some so long ago their mortal identities are no longer known)

hamishspence
2021-05-29, 05:18 PM
Demidieties, including subservient ones, have been part of the faerun pantheon since 2e... But they are true gods, they have their own divine realms (not tacked onto some else's astral realm), grant their clerics abilities themselves... Very different than the fancy divine servants 4e called exarchs.

I think you're overstating the differences between 2e demigods and 4e exarchs.

4E FR campaign book:

Exarchs are often referred to as demigods. Many are ascended mortal servants of greater gods, brought up from the world to serve as agents of their divine masters. Some attract worshippers of their own, but they are more often simply conduits that serve to connect the mortal world with the attention of the higher deities.

Exarchs are incapable of forming planes of their own, They occasionally maintain smaller pocket universes or independent fiefdoms on their home planes.

So an exarch can have a "pocket universe" on a plane, even if they didn't make the whole plane themselves. They can have worshippers, and be more than just a senior deity's servant.

Fatefulforce
2021-05-30, 10:30 PM
A Chaotic Neutral cleric of Malar, God of the Hunt, would make a great monster hunter.

Malarites aren't usually about protecting civilisation - but sects that have reached accommodations with the local authorities, could have an element of that.

I came to say this

Could also make it either a Ranger or Druid as well.

Cormyr (Forgoten realms) is one of the only major kingdoms in Faerun that does tolerate the worship of Malar and allows them to maintain a church.

This is mostly because of the Holy Festival of the "feast of stags"

For this event, all people were invited to partake of the bounty of the hunt, regardless of faith. At this time, priests of Malar chose some widows, orphans, elderly, or infirm citizens and promised to provide meat for their tables for the winter.[ During the harsh winters in the northern parts of Faerûn, Hunts chose a village in the wilderness, providing food for the people, with one or two Malarites pledging themselves to keeping the village fed through the snows.

While Malar is chaotic evil his worshipers are not limited to this.

Seekergeek
2021-05-31, 06:41 PM
Man, so I skipped the meat of Van Richten's for now and went from the PC options to the monsters in the back. I'm in love with the Ulmist Inquisition - it really lends itself to the concept I'm trying to cobble together and it is cannon FR which my DM wants. Seems like it may be a holdover from previous editions (in that I found a reference to it in a reddit post from three years ago), but again I can't seem to find much of anything beyond what is in the guid to ravenloft.