PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Battle Smith: When to take a (war) wizard dip?

Woggle
2021-05-28, 02:29 PM
Hi folks, I'm currently playing a Goliath Battle Smith in Rime of the Frost Maiden. We're currently level 4, soon to be level 5, and I'm trying to decide when to take two levels of War Wizard (for flavour, extra spells prepared, and Arcane Deflection at wizard 2).

I'm tempted to take my first wizard level at 5, partly for story reasons, since my char has just deciphered a wizard's spell book. But I'm not sure that delaying extra attack and 2nd level artificer spells (enlarge, heat metal, web) is a good idea.

The rest of my party is a wild magic barbarian, a draconic sorcerer, and a twilight cleric.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm currently using an infused javelin (returning) as my main weapon, and I've infused the barbarian's great axe.

nickl_2000
2021-05-28, 02:35 PM
Go level 5 Battlesmith Artificer, then 2 War Wizard, then whatever else pleases you.

2 levels in War Wizard is pretty amazing, but not worth delaying your second attack and 2nd level spells.

RogueJK
2021-05-28, 02:49 PM
Go level 5 Battlesmith Artificer, then 2 War Wizard, then whatever else pleases you.

2 levels in War Wizard is pretty amazing, but not worth delaying your second attack and 2nd level spells.

https://www.maverickforums.net/attachments/mando-jpg.264142/

BigRedJedi
2021-05-28, 04:53 PM
I will play devil's underpaid public defender here and suggest that Battle Smith is the Artificer subclass that suffers the most from dipping out, as your Steel Defender (and, potentially, a Homonculus) benefits from your Artificer levels and derives some of the most personal benefit from getting to new/more infusions, sooner, and you're trading Arcane Deflection for Flash of Genius.

As you can cast Shield as a battle Smith (which applies against multiple attacks, unlike Arcane Deflection) and lets you boost others' saving throws, probably by 1 higher than Arcane Deflection allows you to boost only on yourself; though, to make the conparison fair, Arcane Deflection is only limited by your reaction being available, while Flash of Genius is Proficiency-use gated Int-use gated. Flash of Genius is more widely applicable, but you'll have fewer potential uses per day.

War Wizard is a solid dip, but absolutely go to 5 first, if you are going to do so, but Battle Smith benefits from staying pure Artificer more than any other subclass.

stoutstien
2021-05-28, 05:13 PM
I will play devil's underpaid public defender here and suggest that Battle Smith is the Artificer subclass that suffers the most from dipping out, as your Steel Defender (and, potentially, a Homonculus) benefits from your Artificer levels and derives some of the most personal benefit from getting to new/more infusions, sooner, and you're trading Arcane Deflection for Flash of Genius.

As you can cast Shield as a battle Smith (which applies against multiple attacks, unlike Arcane Deflection) and lets you boost others' saving throws, probably by 1 higher than Arcane Deflection allows you to boost only on yourself; though, to make the conparison fair, Arcane Deflection is only limited by your reaction being available, while Flash of Genius is Proficiency-use gated. Flash of Genius is more widely applicable, but you'll have fewer potential uses per day.

War Wizard is a solid dip, but absolutely go to 5 first, if you are going to do so, but Battle Smith benefits from staying pure Artificer more than any other subclass.

I'd agree. It's a solid dip and if narrative or personal reasons prompt it, it's not like it's a bad move but up until level 11 single class artificer is probably the most bang for level. FoG is based on int mod not Prof bonus however.

BigRedJedi
2021-05-28, 05:45 PM
I'd agree. It's a solid dip and if narrative or personal reasons prompt it, it's not like it's a bad move but up until level 11 single class artificer is probably the most bang for level. FoG is based on int mod not Prof bonus however.

You are absolutely correct. I was AFB, thought it was Int for effect and proficiency for uses. Mea culpa.

stoutstien
2021-05-28, 06:08 PM
You are absolutely correct. I was AFB, thought it was Int for effect and proficiency for uses. Mea culpa.

With the reprint I'm actually surprised it stayed that way. Not that any artificer will have less than 16 int but with the shift to prof x rest recharge style mechanics I figured they would make a slight tweak.

Woggle
2021-05-28, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the replies! :smallsmile: I think I was already leaning toward artificer 5, but I guess I just needed someone else to say it.

As you can cast Shield as a battle Smith (which applies against multiple attacks, unlike Arcane Deflection) and lets you boost others' saving throws, probably by 1 higher than Arcane Deflection allows you to boost only on yourself; though, to make the conparison fair, Arcane Deflection is only limited by your reaction being available, while Flash of Genius is Proficiency-use gated Int-use gated. Flash of Genius is more widely applicable, but you'll have fewer potential uses per day.

These are some very good points. I'll certainly consider sticking to artificer for levels after 5, though for this particular character the war wizard dip wins out story-wise.