PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Giant's Might and "lacking room"

Captain Cap
2021-05-28, 03:13 PM
I'm having trouble interpreting the following sentence from the Giant's Might feature:

If you lack the room to become Large, your size doesn't change.
More specifically, I'm not sure what's supposed to happen to a character that uses the feature in a 5 feet wide space (for example in a corridor or between two other creatures). Is the character considered to "lack the room" and so they remain Medium, or they turn Large but squeezing in the space, with all the related penalties?

Unoriginal
2021-05-28, 03:16 PM
I'm having trouble interpreting the following sentence from the Giant's Might feature:

More specifically, I'm not sure what's supposed to happen to a character that uses the feature in a 5 feet wide space (for example in a corridor or between two other creatures). Is the character considered to "lack the room" and so they remain Medium, or they turn Large but squeezing in the space, with all the related penalties?

They turn Large (as there *is* the room to do so) but have to squeeze.

They wouldn't be able to become Large if they locked in a chest barely bigger than them, for example. Or if they were in a corridor in which they needed to squeeze as a Medium creature.

Captain Cap
2021-05-28, 03:18 PM
They turn Large (as there *is* the room to do so) but have to squeeze.
Well, this makes me re-evaluate a lot the class. A main feature that can turn extremely punishing in not so rare circumstances.

Unoriginal
2021-05-28, 03:37 PM
Well, this makes me re-evaluate a lot the class. A main feature that can turn extremely punishing in not so rare circumstances.

I don't think it's particularly punishing or not rare.

As in, a small corridor isn't rare, but the times where you're obligated to use your Giant's Might in that kind of environment are rare.

It's like using Fireball, you wouldn't do it if everyone is squeezed together in a small corridor.

Captain Cap
2021-05-28, 03:48 PM
I mean, just being surrounded makes the option terrible, and more in general, in limited space your turning Large could definitely be a hassle for your allies, or because they have to accomodate you, perhaps putting themselves in less advantageous positions, or simply because your new size literally gets in the way.

Captain Cap
2021-05-28, 03:52 PM

As in, a small corridor isn't rare, but the times where you're obligated to use your Giant's Might in that kind of environment are rare.

It's like using Fireball, you wouldn't do it if everyone is squeezed together in a small corridor.
But Fireball isn't the main feature of a subclass. There are no situations when the Superiority Dice of a Battlemaster or the spellcasting ability of an Eldritch Knight are not welcome.

Falconcry
2021-05-28, 04:06 PM
<snip>

There are times when you cast something other then Fireball? Hmmm interesting.

Falconcry
2021-05-28, 04:07 PM
<snip>

There are times when you cast something other then Fireball? Hmmm interesting. The more you know.

stoutstien
2021-05-29, 06:15 AM

The bullets are separate so you would still deal the extra damage and have adv on str checks even of you don't have room to grow.

Captain Cap
2021-05-29, 06:21 AM
The bullets are separate so you would still deal the extra damage and have adv on str checks even of you don't have room to grow.
This is clear. What I'm trying to understand is if the character should grow to a Large size in a 5 feet wide space (squeezing, with all the penalties associated) or not.

Depending on the answer, Giant's Might may or may not be worth it in certain circumstances, like being surrounded by enemies (of course, you would still get bonus to damage and Strength checks and saving throws, but if you end up squeezed, you get disadvantage to attacks and enemies get advantage).

Unoriginal
2021-05-29, 06:48 AM
This is clear. What I'm trying to understand is if the character should grow to a Large size in a 5 feet wide space (squeezing, with all the penalties associated) or not.

Depending on the answer, Giant's Might may or may not be worth it in certain circumstances, like being surrounded by enemies (of course, you would still get bonus to damage and Strength checks and saving throws, but if you end up squeezed, you get disadvantage to attacks and enemies get advantage).

I personally rule that other characters get "pushed" out of the now-grown Rune Knight's space, if there is room for it. Only objects that can't be pushed (like a wall) can cause them to need to squeeze.

stoutstien
2021-05-29, 06:52 AM

Well GM is only really half the RK's lv 3 features. You still have all the runes to work with in cases when being large is more of a hassle than it's worth. Moon druids have a similar problem with a lot of thier options along with any mass summons just taking up too much space when it's a premium.

Depend on the exact nature of the environment you could squeeze enemies with you by growing and forcing them into a wall, ceilings, or whatever.

Segev
2021-05-29, 02:51 PM
Yeah, the spacing rules aren't so unforgiving that you can't just make room for yourself. Sure, they may share your space by happenstance, and that normally can't happen, but it doesn't break anything.

stoutstien
2021-05-29, 05:21 PM
Yeah, the spacing rules aren't so unforgiving that you can't just make room for yourself. Sure, they may share your space by happenstance, and that normally can't happen, but it doesn't break anything.
Which is a shame. Running around the legs of a larger creature is bread n butter RPG material.

Mellack
2021-05-29, 06:19 PM
Which is a shame. Running around the legs of a larger creature is bread n butter RPG material.

As long as they are two or more sizes bigger than you, you are allowed to move freely through a hostile creatures space (as difficult terrain). So halflings and kobolds can run around the legs of large creatures, and most any character (medium) can run around a huge creature. By the same rule, if you can grow big enough, you can move through the smaller creatures. You just can't end your move sharing a space. So if they are small creatures, you could grow to large and just walk over them to an open space.

stoutstien
2021-05-30, 05:08 AM
As long as they are two or more sizes bigger than you, you are allowed to move freely through a hostile creatures space (as difficult terrain). So halflings and kobolds can run around the legs of large creatures, and most any character (medium) can run around a huge creature. By the same rule, if you can grow big enough, you can move through the smaller creatures. You just can't end your move sharing a space. So if they are small creatures, you could grow to large and just walk over them to an open space.

This last part is the annoying bit. I know it's to keep play on a grid cleaner but it's just unnecessary limitations.