PDA

View Full Version : adding specific magic item abilities to different items

Raishoiken
2021-05-28, 03:42 PM
So, using the magic item compendium rules, would it be possible to give the abilities of a crystal echoblade to an axe of the sea reavers? Or the other way around?

Is there anything in the rules that allows you/keeps you from making a crystal echo blade also a sun blade?

tyckspoon
2021-05-28, 03:56 PM
Yes. It does not provide firm rules or guidance on determining pricing for trying to do this, however, so there's still a healthy helping of 'work it out with your DM' in there.

(The closest thing to a consensus method of doing it is to subtract out whatever elements of the item are standard properties. The remainder of the cost must then be what the unique traits are priced at; the unclear spot is whether you should then treat that as a flat rate cost, or if it should be a + equivalent pricing. Sometimes you can tell fairly easily what the designer did because the price matches up exactly to the +equivalent price progression, sometimes it's just some rando number.)

Raishoiken
2021-05-28, 06:17 PM
Yes. It does not provide firm rules or guidance on determining pricing for trying to do this, however, so there's still a healthy helping of 'work it out with your DM' in there.

(The closest thing to a consensus method of doing it is to subtract out whatever elements of the item are standard properties. The remainder of the cost must then be what the unique traits are priced at; the unclear spot is whether you should then treat that as a flat rate cost, or if it should be a + equivalent pricing. Sometimes you can tell fairly easily what the designer did because the price matches up exactly to the +equivalent price progression, sometimes it's just some rando number.)

As for the process, i figured something along those lines. Whether or not it was prohibited was another story. I know the MiC talks about placing certain properties on items that go in similar slots like boots of striding and boots of water walk or something like that but i wasn't sure if specific weapon properties like that were exclusive for any reason

Biggus
2021-05-28, 07:57 PM
I asked a similar question a while ago: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612375-Nonstandard-specific-items

The answers I got were roughly: yes it's probably allowed by RAW, yes but be careful as it may be overpowered in some cases, and ask your DM as the rules aren't crystal clear either way.

Raishoiken
2021-05-30, 01:51 PM
I asked a similar question a while ago: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612375-Nonstandard-specific-items

The answers I got were roughly: yes it's probably allowed by RAW, yes but be careful as it may be overpowered in some cases, and ask your DM as the rules aren't crystal clear either way.

This is along the lines of what i was thinking. It seems like there's a vague implication that you can but it isn't the most concrete of things

It's certainly easy to parse out the math