PDA

View Full Version : A (mostly) Bard that is obsessed with dancing

gijoemike
2021-05-28, 04:05 PM
This is a concept I have had for quite some time but I lack the knowledge and skill to bring it all together. The basic idea is a bard sees combat as a deadly dance. Primary perform skill will be dance. The concept is a melee bard bent on dancing in and out of reach and sword play.

So the basics of a melee bard are
Snowflake war dance - dancing is a big focus (This feat is probably the reason I had this idea)
Crystal Echo blade - to get the most from being a bard.
Slippers of battle dancing - dancing focused already.

Bard spells that fit the theme -
Whirling Blade lvl 2,
Irresistible Dance lvl 6.
Dance of Ruin[Evil] lvl 2 - not great, makes me be EVIL, and bad fixed damage.
Blade Weave lvl 2.

Classes that could work with the theme
Spell Dancer - makes spells better but not bardic music
Battle Dancer - Very on theme, cha to AC is on theme. But OMG this class is terrible.
Cloaked Dancer - I cannot make it fit.
Dervish - Very on theme too, but I cannot fit in all the sneak attack normally seen with dervish.

Items in theme - dancing sword, Slippers of battle dancing (mentioned above)

What isn't allowed
Dragon Mag for the most part. 99% no.

Psonics - GM doesn't like several aspects of the subsystem. Certain general/combat feats may be allowed on case by case plea.

Book of 9 swords - GM hates subsystem. I am trying to have him see the light. Some of the general and combat feats like snap kick may be allowed.

Dragon Magic - no silver brow human, no dragon fire insp. Also that isn't in theme.

Gestalt - we will be single class

EPIC handbook - max will be lvl 17.

Keep templates to minimum.

Obviously, the monstrosity I have envisioned is at best T3 (maybe). I am not sure where to prestige class with this. Race isn't locked down yet so race specific Pcs are open. Was hoping to go CG or CN. Bard is a must, I was hoping to make at least bard 8 and use a badge of courage to get +3 inspire courage. I don't think i will be able to fit the feat that gives +1 Inspire Courage.

So what ideas do you , GiantITP community, have to stay on theme and be playable using the concept above? Would you attempt to multiclass? What PrC would you shoot for?

DandyLion
2021-05-29, 05:21 AM
If you want to style charge attacks as dancing into your opponents getting pounce could fit (dancing towards them before making a flurry of attacks almost in beat to music)

There's also a dragon magazine feat called Armor Dance that gives you a small armor bonus when you make full attacks if you can convince the DM to allow it

And if you want to focus on perfect timing with dance arguably iaijutsu focus would be within the theme (although 3.0 and a bit of a can of worms) but I like the visual of drawing your weapon as part of a spin catching your opponent off guard and dealing extra damage

ShurikVch
2021-05-29, 08:50 AM
There are some possibilities

Classes:
Fighter - Darksong Knight sub. levels (Champions of Valor): Dancing Feint at 2nd level, and Combat Dancing - at 8th
Jester (Dragon Compendium): Buffoonery (Su): A 9th-level jester with 12 or more ranks in Perform (comedy) can caper and dance to distract his opponents in battle.
Monk: Overwhelming Attack (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#overwhelmingAttack) required Perform (dance) 4 ranks

Also, 2-levels dip in Binder (with Improved Binding feat) would allow to bind Paimon the Dancer - to get the Dance of Death, +4 on Perform (dance), +4 Dex, and requirements-free Whirlwind Attack

PrC:
Blade Dancer (Oriental Adventures) - can bestow Dancing on their weapon (at 10th level); also, enormous bonuses on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks (+30 at 10th level)
Celebrant of Sharess (Player's Guide to Faerûn): Fascinate, Flirtation, and Sanctuary required Perform; separate spellcasting
Shadowdancer - required Perform (dance) 5 ranks , but it's it
Sword Dancer (Faiths and Pantheons) - Sword Dance can bestow Dancing on their weapon (at 3rd level); also, for a change, - a full caster progression (10/10)
Trapsmith (Dungeonscape) - Dance through Danger (4th-level CF); separate spellcasting
Virtuoso (Complete Adventurer) - Virtuoso Performance (Su): A virtuoso can use hisPerform skill to create magical effects on those around him. He can use this ability once per day per virtuoso level. He can use any form of performance as part of this ability. Although many of the names refer to musical performances, a virtuoso isn't actually so limited - for example, an actor could perform a "sustaining soliloquy" or "sustaining dance" rather than a sustaining song.

Feats:
Battle Dancer (Player's Handbook II)
Cloak Dance (Expanded Psionics Handbook, but it's not a [psionic] feat)
Dancing Blade (Ghostwalk)
Dancing with Shadows (Races of Eberron) //[racial] Kalashtar feat
Path of Shadows (Races of Eberron) //[racial] Kalashtar feat
Sand Dancer (Sandstorm)

Shrouded Dance skill trick (Complete Scoundrel)

Spells:
Circle Dance (Spell Compendium)
Dancing Blade (Player's Handbook II)
Dancing Lights
Follow the Leader (Song and Silence) - to be the "Pied Piper"
Jig of the Waves (Stormwrack)
Otto's Resistible Dance (Song and Silence) - allow saving throw, but one level earlier than the Irresistible Dance

Also, Dragon magazine #301 introduced idea of Masterpiece Performances, which grant additional benefits when Bard performing them.
Not all of Masterpiece Performances required singing or playing music
Namely, Perform (dance) needed for:
Requiem for Parigal - when used to Fascinate, affected creatures are suffering -10 penalty on Spot checks (instead the usual -4); 3600 gp
The Trials of Ramir - when danced to Inspire Greatness, can affect three more creatures than usual; 3000 gp
Captain Marsud's Ghost - when danced to Inspire Courage, gives +8 bonus on saves vs charm and fear; 9000 gp
The Blackworm Wriggle - when danced to Fascinate, affected creatures are suffering -8 penalty on Spot and Listen checks (instead the usual -4); 4800 gp
*The gp is a "market price"; you can develop similar Masterpiece Performances on your own - but would need Craft Masterpiece Performance feat for it

Hiro Quester
2021-05-29, 11:41 AM
My first ever entry for Iron Chef, Swiftblade (also using War Weaver and Prestige Bard), was something like this.

I based the character on a Maori Warrior, using a Haka wardance to both inspire courage and inspire fear whenever you perform: dance (Haunting Melody ACF, but causing fear through an intimidating wardance instead of a song).

It's linked from my signature (Linked here too: Pahika Kanikani (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?601292-Iron-Chef-Optimisation-Challenge-in-the-Playground-C/page5&p=24281650#post24281650)). Reposting the explanation of a wardance here:

Some can’t imagining how dancing can inspire courage. This is how.

A Maori haka is a pre-battle wardance that both inspires courage on your side and intimidates your enemy.

This ritual war dance, draws on the mana (spiritual energy and reputation) of your ancestors. It draw on the gods’ mana (tapu), to enhance your morale and solidarity. It also threatens your enemies, not just with death, but degradation and humiliation. Sticking out your tongue is threatening “I will make you my food”. (To understand this ultimate degradation, think about what food becomes once it’s digested and expelled.)

Explanation and example of a Maori haka, as traditionally performed: https://youtu.be/a5oidQAyLQw(2 min).
A short written explanation of the meaning and history: https://www.dangerous-business.com/ka-mate-ka-mate-ka-ora-a-haka-history-lesson/

That is how dancing inspires courage, and fear: a Maori Haka.

Particle_Man
2021-05-29, 11:47 AM
There has got to be a way to incorporate zombies and get the Thriller dance going. 😀

gijoemike
2021-05-30, 11:53 PM
My first ever entry for Iron Chef, Swiftblade (also using War Weaver and Prestige Bard), was something like this.

I based the character on a Maori Warrior, using a Haka wardance to both inspire courage and inspire fear whenever you perform: dance (Haunting Melody ACF, but causing fear through an intimidating wardance instead of a song).

It's linked from my signature (Linked here too: Pahika Kanikani (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?601292-Iron-Chef-Optimisation-Challenge-in-the-Playground-C/page5&p=24281650#post24281650)). Reposting the explanation of a wardance here:

I hadn't even thought of using Prestige Bard. That changes everything. A very different take but I like it. I need to study it a bit more.

Fighter - Darksong Knight sub. levels (Champions of Valor): Dancing Feint at 2nd level, and Combat Dancing - at 8th

Monk: Overwhelming Attack required Perform (dance) 4 ranks

I have never seen these sub levels. 8 levels of straight fighter hurts though.

How can one be bard - non lawful, and monk lawful only?