PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How would you make a european sword-breaker wielding character?

Citadel97501
2021-05-28, 11:16 PM
Hello all, as the title suggests I was just wondering how you would go about having a character wield the European sword-breaker?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bytheswordinc.com%2Fp-11561-the-knights-swordbreaker-dagger.aspx&psig=AOvVaw3cfDgQiPNhpF6lgkD7AyQQ&ust=1622348059976000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCOjGtdKD7vACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAN

PhantomSoul
2021-05-28, 11:28 PM
Sword + Defensive Duelist Feat + probably Battlemaster Levels (maybe just steal Manoeuvres as a Feat, but I figure you'd want more uses). The Disarm Attack Option (in the DMG) works if DM uses it, and maybe have Haste to squeeze doing it as a Reaction while making 1-2 Attacks on your Turn.

Citadel97501
2021-05-28, 11:37 PM
Sword + Defensive Duelist Feat + probably Battlemaster Levels (maybe just steal Manoeuvres as a Feat, but I figure you'd want more uses). The Disarm Attack Option (in the DMG) works if DM uses it, and maybe have Haste to squeeze doing it as a Reaction while making 1-2 Attacks on your Turn.

Very nice thank you, I always forget about that defensive duelist feat, hmmm Bladesinger could definitely use that one as a cheaper replacement to the Shield spell.

stoutstien
2021-05-29, 05:35 AM
I'm guessing you are referring to the sword breaker (dagger) which should be called a sword catcher or sword traps.

At the heart of it they are specializes ring daggers, the ring would be placed so it fell on the outside when the teeth faced away from the wielder used left handed, so I second the DD feat as a good corner stone to start with. From there is depends on what else you wish to focus on. I would also use the short sword as the frame for it to represent the longer length and lack of throwing balance.

Chad.e.clark
2021-05-29, 07:28 AM
Very nice thank you, I always forget about that defensive duelist feat, hmmm Bladesinger could definitely use that one as a cheaper replacement to the Shield spell.

I wouldn't recommend defensive duelist as a cheaper replacement for Shield because a) it's a first level spell preperation vs a Feat/ASI and b) defensive duelist only works on a single attack vs until the start of your next turn.

For a), between having 4 level 1 slots and few level 1 spells more worthwhile than Shield and having Arcane Recovery to restore spent slots throughout the day, Shield isn't really chewing through resources.
Plus, Shield is always a flat +5, by the time your proficiency bonus is that high, a wizard shouldn't be shy about spending his level one slots as needed.

For b), how often is it just a single attack that would have hit you when multiple are made?

There are a great many better things to spend an ASI/ feat on for a wizard before settling on Defensive Duelist.

stoutstien
2021-05-29, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't recommend defensive duelist as a cheaper replacement for Shield because a) it's a first level spell preperation vs a Feat/ASI and b) defensive duelist only works on a single attack vs until the start of your next turn.

For a), between having 4 level 1 slots and few level 1 spells more worthwhile than Shield and having Arcane Recovery to restore spent slots throughout the day, Shield isn't really chewing through resources.
Plus, Shield is always a flat +5, by the time your proficiency bonus is that high, a wizard shouldn't be shy about spending his level one slots as needed.

For b), how often is it just a single attack that would have hit you when multiple are made?

There are a great many better things to spend an ASI/ feat on for a wizard before settling on Defensive Duelist.

You'd be surprised. Blade singer have enough AC to make DD shine when facing NPCs with high Melee focus. If anything it's one of the best users due to having a high static AC to work with. Having protection from G/E or blur running + DD can easily have the same value as blowing a slot on shield every round.

Chad.e.clark
2021-05-29, 04:48 PM

You'd be surprised. Blade singer have enough AC to make DD shine when facing NPCs with high Melee focus. If anything it's one of the best users due to having a high static AC to work with. Having protection from G/E or blur running + DD can easily have the same value as blowing a slot on shield every round.

I'll leave the number crunching to someone smarter, but a feature that can last for an entire round is more efficient than a feature that only lasts for a single attack. To look at it another way: how do you think Arcane Deflection compares with Shield? (FWIW, at least Arcane Deflection is aclass feature, so there is less opportunity cost than an ASI/ Feat for Defensive Duelist.)

But if you are fighting against enemies with a high melee focus, why aren't you fighting at range and using your concentration on something else? Or if we are using 2nd level slots as well (Blur), Mirror Image has no concentration requirements, andwith running a dex based build should have some synergy for the images AC. Plus you could concentrate on something else (Web, Flaming Sphere, whatever floats your boat.)

stoutstien
2021-05-29, 05:17 PM
It was just a spell a picked not necessarily any single one.
I'm guessing the OP is focused on being melee based asking about a parry dagger which is DD in a nut shell optimization aside.

Chad.e.clark
2021-05-29, 08:49 PM
It was just a spell a picked not necessarily any single one.
I'm guessing the OP is focused on being melee based asking about a parry dagger which is DD in a nut shell optimization aside.

True, Shield vs DD thread de-rail concluded.

Other mundane options for a parry-themed melee character are all at least Battlemaster heavy. Riposte if they attack and miss, Brace when they approach, Parry if they are definitely going to hit. Fighting style Interception is less useful for a solo-style character, but as a team player could be of some use against a one-off attack.

For the off-turn attack manuevers, adding in Rogue levels allows for some off-turn Sneak Attacks, so there is that as well. Not necessarily parry'ing, per se, but definitely closer to what I see as a nimble fighter versus a brute fighter.

Shadean207
2021-05-30, 05:38 AM
In addition to the previously mentioned Battlemaster:
I feel that a College of Swords Bard (specifically due to Two-Weapon Fighting and Defensive Flourish) may also be a fitting choice.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I seem to remember the "Swordbreaker" was used as a sidearm in rapier fencing mostly, which, at least stereotypically, fits the Bard a bit better than the Fighter.

So, I'd say, College of Swords, investing in Defensive Dueist and Dual Wielder for the absolute overkill, with a Rapier and Dagger/Shortsword, Defensive Flourish (for a mix of the previously mentioned Defensive Duelist and Shield characteristics) fits the character.

Unoriginal
2021-05-30, 05:49 AM
Do you want to actually break the enemies' weapons, too?

The rules are in the DMG, but your DM will have to rule how it works against a resisting opponent.

My personal ruling is that you use the highest AC between the weapon's and its wielder's