PDA

View Full Version : Seto Kaiba as a Tempest Cleric

jaappleton
2021-05-29, 07:58 AM
So, here's the deal:

Awhile back, in one campaign, a player made Yugi Moto from Yu-Gi-Oh as a Wild Sorcerer. Through some houserules, he actually wrote an app. He had access to every spell list, but each short rest, the app selected randomly the spells he'd have for that rest. And the next rest, a new selection. Those were his card draws, as it were. He could use Metamagic to discard cards (spells) and draw new ones.

And there were times he'd have zero abilities for the situation at hand. But it was wild, random, and fun.

(Sorry to disappoint, but the app is not available to the public, he's quite protective of his coding)

Anyways, he's thinking of bringing that character back and I'm a bit tired of my current PC. So we had this idea of playing off eachother, where he's Yugi and I'm his rival Kaiba.
(I was going to be Joey Wheeler but I can't do that over-exaggerated New Yorker accent all night :smalltongue: )

Here's what I have so far:

Tempest Domain
Worships.... Tiamat? Maybe Bahamut. (More on that later)
All my damage spells are delivered with the visual of a dragon appearing and blasting energy out of its mouth
Tempest Cleric because Kaiba's always used a Beatdown strategy, and maxxing damage is absolutely something that's his style
My DM is letting us start with any Rare item and I'm choosing a Wand of Lightning Bolts

All content is available to worth with. Ravnica, Eberron, UA, etc. With any UA, I do have to use the latest version (So if a UA became official, I must use the official version)

Here's what I need help with:

1. What spells can I use to turn the tables? I need any and all excuses to say "You activated my trap card". Preferably anything as a Reaction. I know I can get Counterspell via a Ravnica background, if that helps.

2. Tiamat or Bahamut or neither? While Kaiba's a straight up jerk, he does care about certain people (like his little brother) and does have a level of respect for certain duelists he thinks are worthwhile. I wouldn't say he's Evil, but more Lawful Neutral as he does have a strong stance against cheating and underhanded tactics.

TrueAlphaGamer
2021-05-29, 10:54 AM
I'm pretty sure Cleric does not natively get any spells with a cast time of a Reaction (and, in fact, there are few spells that can be cast as Reactions), so you might be stuck with "Spell Speed 1" stuff, outside of Counterspell, unless you want to Ready your spells.

The Human Mark of Sentinel race from ERLW adds Counterspell to your class spell list and gives you the ability to cast Shield (which is basically Waboku) once per long rest.

With the Ready action, I'm sure you can try and Hold Person for a type of Gravity Bind effect, and Guardian of Faith shares a lot of the flavour with how Yugioh monsters are seen in the show, and of course damage abilities can just as easily be readied (like lightning bolt or guiding bolt or whatever else).

With a Simic Scientist background you can get Wind Wall (Tornado Wall?) and Polymorph (Polymerization? though I'll admit that's not a trap card, but still iconic). Also, if you find a way to get Armor of Agathys, that also has a very Trap Card type of mechanic.

It's hard to translate stuff between the two games without homebrew (which I myself have been trying do for my games), since they're built on such different assumptions and mechanics.

Unoriginal
2021-05-29, 11:24 AM
Is UA allowed?

If yes, the Drakewarden Ranger would make a pretty good Kaiba.

jaappleton
2021-05-29, 12:07 PM
Is UA allowed?

If yes, the Drakewarden Ranger would make a pretty good Kaiba.

You’re 100% correct. Unfortunately, our table has a Dragonborn Drakewarden currently, and I don’t want to step on any toes. Or talons.

Unoriginal
2021-05-29, 12:14 PM
You’re 100% correct. Unfortunately, our table has a Dragonborn Drakewarden currently, and I don’t want to step on any toes. Or talons.

How about an Artificier, then? Kaiba did invent the Duel Disk, and you can have a Blue-Eyed Steel Dragon.