PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Bondage Domain (or a Cleric Domain that is great for restraining enemies)?

werescythe
2021-05-29, 11:17 AM
Well, Van Richten's Guide is out and with it is the Dhamphir Linage. Now when I saw this linage I thought it might be interesting to change/reflavor it to be like a spider humanoid (perhaps a drider) and as I did some more goofy ideas came to mind, like a nun that uses the magic given to her by the god she serves to bind and restrain her enemies.

So I wanted to ask, is there a cleric domain that is either really good at this or could be adjusted to do this?

RogueJK
2021-05-29, 11:56 AM
If you're looking for physical restraint, then there's not really much that fits in the official Cleric Domains. Spells and abilities that physically restrain enemies are the purview of other classes, like Druids, Rangers, Wizards, Warlocks, and Ancients Paladins.

However, if mental restraint would also work, there's the Order Cleric that focuses on charms/compulsions.

And there are a decent number of spells that feature physical grabbing/restraining/etc.. So you might be able to cobble together a homebrew domain (or at least a custom spell list for an existing domain), using spells like Entangle, Snare, Web, Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Evard's Black Tentacles, Grasping Vine, etc.

werescythe
2021-05-29, 12:38 PM
If you're looking for physical restraint, then there's not really much that fits in the official Cleric Domains. Spells and abilities that physically restrain enemies are the purview of other classes, like Druids, Rangers, Wizards, Warlocks, and Ancients Paladins.

Yeah, I was kind of worried about that. lol.

And there are a decent number of spells that feature physical grabbing/restraining/etc.. So you might be able to cobble together a homebrew domain (or at least a custom spell list for an existing domain), using spells like Entangle, Snare, Web, Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Evard's Black Tentacles, Grasping Vine, etc.

I have considered that and I am entertaining the thought, especially since I haven't seen anyone actually make something like this (as far as I could tell).

Aside from Slow, I can't think of any other 3rd level spells to throw into the spell list. lol. :smallbiggrin:

Aett_Thorn
2021-05-29, 01:25 PM
What about an Underdark Circle of Land Druid instead? Has probably a few more spells that would fit the theme (including Web), but might lack some of the Cleric goodies you’re looking for.

RogueJK
2021-05-29, 01:36 PM
Aside from Slow, I can't think of any other 3rd level spells to throw into the spell list. lol. :smallbiggrin:

Plant Growth would be of a similar theme.

Sherlockpwns
2021-05-30, 12:25 AM
How about an Oath of Ancients paladin instead?

Ensnaring Strike, Nature's Wrath, Plant Growth. It's more of "a small part" as opposed to the primary focus though.

To be honest though, Ensnaring strike and nature's wrath are probably not something you'd use nearly as much as a Druid firing off Entangle against low STR enemies and web against low dex. You'd probably be using those spells at every available level... and a Druid from the underdark would probably be into BDSM... so it all fits :P

JackPhoenix
2021-05-30, 05:53 AM
War domain's bonus action attack allows two attacks with a net... or a net and other attack or even spell... in one turn.