PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Archivist/Techsmith Build

Thurbane
2021-05-29, 08:51 PM
Got an idea for a build: a full caster based on gadgets, technology and tinkering.

I'm thinking Archivist 6/Techsmith 10 /X 4. Techsmith will be adapted to be a follower of Muyrlynd for my Greyhawk campaign, rather than Gond.

I looked at Gnomish Artificer, but the lack of casting makes it less than ideal for this build.

The table restriction on 3rd party/Ravenloft material also means no Create Device (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=14359269&postcount=5) feat.

Only feats locked in are Craft Wondrous Item and Skill Focus (and Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat).

I want the character to be really tech related, but not especially focused on making magic items or constructs (apart from my Gondsman). Maybe build some items from here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/cw

Skill wise, I'd like to focus on Knowledge (architecture and engineering) (which I know is largely useless (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=21683940&postcount=2)), Search (using a Keeper's Guide magic ring for trapfinding), Open Lock and Disable Device.

Also, looking for spells related to tech/gadgets:

- Fantastic Machine
- Fantastic Machine, Greater
- Instant Locksmith
- Ruby Ray of Reversal (would need to come from a Hexer, or something)
- Shape Metal
- Summon Clockwork Mender Swarm
- Summon Warforged Champion
- Understand Device
- Understand Object (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20001101a) (would need to come from a Divine Bard)
- Wall of Gears

All thoughts an input welcome.

Usual restrictions for my table: no PF, no Kalamar, no Ravenloft, no other 3rd party; no home brew; Dragon and Dungeon only material frowned on, apart from the Compendium; no artificers, psionics or incarnum.

Cheers - T

Anthrowhale
2021-05-30, 06:02 AM
Some of the Eberron content fits this flavor. Have you considered warforged as a race? Or accessing Summon Marked Homunculus?

Thurbane
2021-05-30, 03:18 PM
Some of the Eberron content fits this flavor. Have you considered warforged as a race? Or accessing Summon Marked Homunculus?

I'm happy to adapt some Eberron material, if it fits with the theme. :smallsmile:

Race-wise, I was looking at Human or Mechanatrix (either lesser variant, or with LA buyoff). Warforged is another possibility.

Summon Marked Homunculus may be a little problematic, since it requires Dragon Marks from memory, and those are very heavily tied to Eberron lore.

Maat Mons
2021-05-30, 08:18 PM
Small nitpick: you wrote "Trapsmith" in the title, but "Techsmith" everywhere else.

I suggest your character be a young man who has difficulty interacting with people. And he's gone to a lot of trouble to sculpt his gondsman in the form of an attractive young woman. His dream is to acquire a Psychoactive Skin of the Proteus so she can "become a real girl."

Thurbane
2021-05-30, 09:32 PM
Small nitpick: you wrote "Trapsmith" in the title, but "Techsmith" everywhere else.

Thank you, fixed now.

Maybe one day I'll make a Combat Trapsmith/Trapsmith/Techsmith/Runesmith/Shadowsmith build :smallbiggrin:

I suggest your character be a young man who has difficulty interacting with people. And he's gone to a lot of trouble to sculpt his gondsman in the form of an attractive young woman. His dream is to acquire a Psychoactive Skin of the Proteus so she can "become a real girl."

Hmm, not exactly what I was envisaging, but an interesting notion. Maybe for another character at some point.

I did once make an NPC who's wife had tragically died, and was unable to be Resurrected, so he commissioned a stone statue likeness of her from a master artisan. He had it transformed to flesh, and animated - it didn't work out so well, he essentially ended up with a medium Flesh Golem (this was a 2E game, and there was a lot of house-ruling involved), which went berserk in the town, and the PCs had to track it down...

Anthrowhale
2021-05-31, 04:22 AM
Warforged is another possibility.

I think warforged also have some tech-like grafts in Eberron? I haven't looked at that closely.

Eberron also has the artisan feats which are potentially relevant.

Some other possibly-relevant spells are Fabricate, Mending, Make Whole, Repair <X> Damage.

Although Techsmith does not get Search as a class skill, you can keep it topped up using the retraining rules it PHB II and the Archivist's access to it.

Gavinfoxx
2021-06-01, 12:17 PM
I'd ask for permission to research relevant prayers/spells from pathfinder, starfinder, d20 modern, etc., using the research rules.

ShurikVch
2021-06-01, 01:25 PM
Some more spells:
Call Kolyarut (Spell Compendium)
Call Marut (Spell Compendium)
Call Zelekhut (Spell Compendium)
Detect Secret Doors - also allow to detect the "mechanism or trigger for one particular secret portal"
Magecraft (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Mechanus Mind (Spell Compendium)
Unseen Crafter (Races of Eberron)

Maybe one day I'll make a Combat Trapsmith/Trapsmith/Techsmith/Runesmith/Shadowsmith build :smallbiggrin:
:smallamused: Add in some Battlesmith or/and Memory Smith?

Thurbane
2021-06-01, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the spell suggestions everyone! :smallsmile:

Although Techsmith does not get Search as a class skill, you can keep it topped up using the retraining rules it PHB II and the Archivist's access to it.

That's kind of why my initial thought was Human + Able Learner.

Alternatively, Mechanatrix + Human Heritage + flaw + Able Learner. Pathetic [Cha] might be an apt flaw for such a character.

I'd ask for permission to research relevant prayers/spells from pathfinder, starfinder, d20 modern, etc., using the research rules.

Table rules are very set on this, so it's a no-go.

Anthrowhale
2021-06-01, 06:13 PM
That's kind of why my initial thought was Human + Able Learner.

The PHB II retraining rules allow you to effectively get 4 cross-class skill ranks at in-class rates per level. These are official rules, so it sounds like they are valid at your table. Given that, locking your race and using a feat or two seems relatively unappealing.

Thurbane
2021-06-01, 06:54 PM
The PHB II retraining rules allow you to effectively get 4 cross-class skill ranks at in-class rates per level. These are official rules, so it sounds like they are valid at your table. Given that, locking your race and using a feat or two seems relatively unappealing.

I've never looked at that aspect of the retraining rules, but definitely worth checking out. Thank you. :smallsmile:

ShurikVch
2021-06-02, 04:41 PM
Some more stuff:

Spells:
Bigby's Helpful Hand (Player's Handbook II) //since it's Sor/Wiz spell, you may need something like Ring of Theurgy to make it into divine
Expose the Dead (Spell Compendium) +CL bonus (up to +10) on Search checks made when examining a dead body
Extract Gift (Fiendish Codex I) //can give bonus not just to your ability scores, but to the skills too
Find Traps
Instant Search (Spell Compendium)
Marked Object (Spell Compendium) +10 bonus on Search and Survival checks made to track the item's owner or find evidence of the owner's passage
One With the Land (Spell Compendium) +2 competence bonus on Handle Animal, Hide, Move Silently, Search, Survival, and wild empathy checks
Spontaneous Search (Spell Compendium) //one more Sor/Wiz spell
That Art Thou (Oriental Adventures) +20 on Search, Spot, and Listen checks
Tojanida Sight (Stormwrack) +4 on Spot and Search checks

Skill Tricks:
Clever Improviser
Opening Tap

Planar Touchstone:
The Metacube (Planar Handbook)

Organization Affiliation:
Wartower Wardens (Dungeonscape): Rank 2: Wartower Guard: Gain +2 competence bonus on Disable Device, Open Lock, and Search checks in the dungeon. Learn the command words to open guild caches in the dungeon, though you must pay for any items taken.