PDA

View Full Version : Gnoll Monk Trying to Control his Hunger

The Aboleth
2021-05-31, 12:50 AM
Hey, everyone! I have a concept in mind for a character I might try in a future campaign; as the title says, it is of a Gnoll Monk who is trying to control his demonic, everlasting Hunger through meditation and the ways of [insert subclass here].

Backstory: Once part of a Gnoll war party that was decimated by a competing army led by a red-haired Human Conquest Paladin, he was left for dead but discovered by chance by a wandering monk who took pity on the nearly-dead Gnoll. After stabilizing the Gnoll's wounds, the Monk took the body back to the monastery so the creature could recover further. Over time, the Gnoll recovered naturally (the monastery had little access to healing magic or potions) and the minks were able to teach it the art of meditation to slowly keep Yeenoghu's Endless Hunger at bay until such a time as he can be free from it entirely.

So, my questions are as follows:

1) What racial bonuses and/or abilities should I give for the Gnoll race (the DM and players have a mutual understanding that basically "Anything Goes as long as it's not intentionally OP," so no issues with being a Gnoll in the first place)?

2) Which Monk subclass should I pick and why (NO multi-classing, please).

3) Being a Gnoll will obviously present some RP challenges both in cities and rural areas (because Gnoll). While I'm up for the challenge, it's obviously wise to mitigate things as much as possible. What ways can I either disguise myself or otherwise make my presence "acceptable" among people? Bribes immediately come to mind, but I'm open to any other ideas (especially if they are outside-the-box).

That's all I can think of for now; maybe some ideas on punching up the backstory (we're in a homebrew setting but also handwave the published settings as being "on another plane of existence" just in case we want to use them later). Thanks in advance!

ftafp
2021-05-31, 01:06 AM
Hey, everyone! I have a concept in mind for a character I might try in a future campaign; as the title says, it is of a Gnoll Monk who is trying to control his demonic, everlasting Hunger through meditation and the ways of [insert subclass here].

Backstory: Once part of a Gnoll war party that was decimated by a competing army led by a red-haired Human Conquest Paladin, he was left for dead but discovered by chance by a wandering monk who took pity on the nearly-dead Gnoll. After stabilizing the Gnoll's wounds, the Monk took the body back to the monastery so the creature could recover further. Over time, the Gnoll recovered naturally (the monastery had little access to healing magic or potions) and the minks were able to teach it the art of meditation to slowly keep Yeenoghu's Endless Hunger at bay until such a time as he can be free from it entirely.

So, my questions are as follows:

1) What racial bonuses and/or abilities should I give for the Gnoll race (the DM and players have a mutual understanding that basically "Anything Goes as long as it's not intentionally OP," so no issues with being a Gnoll in the first place)?

2) Which Monk subclass should I pick and why (NO multi-classing, please).

3) Being a Gnoll will obviously present some RP challenges both in cities and rural areas (because Gnoll). While I'm up for the challenge, it's obviously wise to mitigate things as much as possible. What ways can I either disguise myself or otherwise make my presence "acceptable" among people? Bribes immediately come to mind, but I'm open to any other ideas (especially if they are outside-the-box).

That's all I can think of for now; maybe some ideas on punching up the backstory (we're in a homebrew setting but also handwave the published settings as being "on another plane of existence" just in case we want to use them later). Thanks in advance!

1) According to Keith Baker, the official racial traits for a gnoll in eberron are the same as the ones listed in the DMG, but the abilities are +1 Con, +2 Str/Dex, and they get proficiency in Perception, Stealth or Survival.

2) Mercy is the most appropriate for a convent of monks who would treat a gnoll's wounds and teach him nonviolence. It's also a decent subclass

3) Mercy monks get a mask as part of their memebership. A bird-shaped mask and hood can cover your whole head, and the rest of your body can be covered by heavy clothing, which Mercy Monks would wear as they were inspired by plague doctors

Addaran
2021-05-31, 08:21 AM

ftafp mentionned plague doctor for disguise. A full suit of armor ( but that doesn't work with monk) or dressing like a desert people with full face scarf might work for disguise. To have your presence acceptable:

Wearing fancy, clean clothing should help. At the very least, they'll know you aren't a random Gnoll and even if you're evil, that you're at least intelligent enough to try subterfuge, so probably smart enough not to attack people in daylight.

More humiliating, but in more paranoid or xenophobic places, a muzzle and leash/chain to one of the fighter type of the group. They probably won't mess with someone's exotic pet, especially if that person is badass enough to have enslaved a Gnoll.

Quietus
2021-05-31, 08:25 AM
I like ftafp's suggestion of Way of Mercy for this one. Race-wise, I would consider doing some kind of play off of the lizardfolk or the dhampir, to really play into having something to struggle with - a bite attack that actually heals you, that you are trying to avoid using. With the Tasha's additions to Monk, you could even designate that bite as a monk weapon to use your dex to attack with it, if you wanted. Dhampir's bite in particular is tempting; it's right there, its healing option is available prof/day, it even has advantage on the attack if you're below half HP. But do you really want to give in and use it?

animewatcha
2021-05-31, 09:58 AM
If you have the new Van Richten book. The Death Touch 'dark gift' (don't have to choose as a feat, can be given by DM) as represent the hunger. Or atleast finding a way to 'channel' it. Flows well into way of mercy and is a straight upgrade for monk.