PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the DemonWeb Pits

Sparky McDibben
2021-05-31, 09:51 AM
Hey y'all,

I really liked Ludic's awesome Way of the Demonweb Pits Monk build from a while ago, so I wanted to take a stab at making it a monk subclass! Ludic's given me permission to do so.

Monk Tradition: Way of the Demonweb Pits

The devoted servants of Lolth, these monks patrol the Underdark to protect drow settlements from the monsters in the Deeps. These monks take on titles from their particular patrolled territory. One of them might be called the Master of the Precipice, for example, but the common folk would simply refer to him as "the Edgelord."

Drow Arts
At 3rd level, you can use your ki to duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points to cast darkness, faerie fire, levitate, and web, without providing material components. You also learn the dancing lights cantrip, or the minor illusion cantrip if you already knew dancing lights. In addition, hand crossbows, rapiers, shortswords, and whips are all considered monk weapons for you.

See With Eyes Black As Night
At 6th level, when you cast one of your Drow Arts spells, you can spend any number of ki points and select a number of creatures you can see, including yourself, up to the number of ki points spent. These creatures ignore the effect of that spell. Additionally, you gain proficiency with the poisoner's kit, gain resistance to poison damage, and may apply poison to a monk weapon as a bonus action.

Welcome to the Underdark
At 11th level, when an enemy misses you with an attack, you may use your reaction to make an attack of opportunity. In addition, you may spend 1 ki point to make an attack of opportunity when a creature enters your reach.

Two Legs? That's Cute
At 17th level, you can briefly channel Lolth's divine will. As a bonus action, you may spend 6 ki points to take on the shape of a drider for a number of minutes equal to your Wisdom modifier. While in this shape, you gain several benefits:

You add 20 feet to your movement speed
You can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check
You may cast web as a bonus action on your turn every round without needing concentration
Any attacks which use your Martial Arts die for damage also deal another Martial Arts die as poison damage. This poison damage ignores poison resistance, and treats poison immunity as poison resistance.

After you transform back, you must succeed on a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to your ki saving throw DC or suffer one level of exhaustion.

Let me know what you think!

Garfunion
2021-06-01, 10:46 AM
It is an interesting concept, here are my alterations.

Drow Arts
At 3rd level, you can use your ki to duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points to cast faerie fire or web without providing material components. You also learn dancing lights cantrip or minor illusion cantrip.
Additionally, you gain proficiency with hand crossbows, rapiers, shortswords, and whips, and these weapons are considered monk weapons for you.

Web Crawler
At 6th level, when you spend Ki to cast web spell you may choose a number of creatures equal to 1+ your wisdom modifier(minimum 2) to become immune to the effects of your web spell. Additionally while your within your webs you can attempt to hide within your web spell and your movement does not provoke opportunity attack.

Deadly Webs
Also at 6th level, any creature who becomes restrained by your web spell take additional damage from your weapon attacks equal to one of your martial arts damage die and also becomes poisoned until they are no longer restrained by your web spell.

Living Webs
At 11th level, The area in which you can cover with your web spell increases by an additional 20-foot cube. Additionally, you may spend 2 ki points and your reaction to force each creature of your choice within the area of your web spell to make a dexterity saving throw, on a failed save they become restrained by your web spell.
Two Legs? That's Cute
At 17th level, you can briefly channel Lolth's divine will. As a bonus action, you may spend 6 ki points to take on the shape of a drider for a number of minutes equal to your Wisdom modifier. While in this shape, you gain several benefits:

You can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check
You may cast web as a bonus action on your turn every round without needing concentration
Any attacks which use your Martial Arts die for damage also deal another Martial Arts die as poison damage. This poison damage ignores poison resistance, and treats poison immunity as poison resistance.

After you transform back, you must succeed on a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to your ki saving throw DC or suffer one level of exhaustion.

JNAProductions
2021-06-01, 11:20 AM
Hey y'all,

I really liked Ludic's awesome Way of the Demonweb Pits Monk build from a while ago, so I wanted to take a stab at making it a monk subclass! Ludic's given me permission to do so.

Monk Tradition: Way of the Demonweb Pits

The devoted servants of Lolth, these monks patrol the Underdark to protect drow settlements from the monsters in the Deeps. These monks take on titles from their particular patrolled territory. One of them might be called the Master of the Precipice, for example, but the common folk would simply refer to him as "the Edgelord."

Drow Arts
At 3rd level, you can use your ki to duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points to cast darkness, faerie fire, levitate, and web, without providing material components. You also learn the dancing lights cantrip, or the minor illusion cantrip if you already knew dancing lights. In addition, hand crossbows, rapiers, shortswords, and whips are all considered monk weapons for you.

See With Eyes Black As Night
At 6th level, when you cast one of your Drow Arts spells, you can spend any number of ki points and select a number of creatures you can see, including yourself, up to the number of ki points spent. These creatures ignore the effect of that spell. Additionally, you gain proficiency with the poisoner's kit, gain resistance to poison damage, and may apply poison to a monk weapon as a bonus action.

Welcome to the Underdark
At 11th level, when an enemy misses you with an attack, you may use your reaction to make an attack of opportunity. In addition, you may spend 1 ki point to make an attack of opportunity when a creature enters your reach.

Two Legs? That's Cute

Let me know what you think!

Drow Arts looks fine. Specify the spell level, though-assuming lowest level. And add that you gain proficiency in the weapons if you don't already have them.

See With Eyes Black As Night also looks fine.

Welcome To The Underdark feels... Off. Thematically-it's probably fine in terms of power, but just... Feels unfluffy.

Two Legs? That's Cute feels a bit much with Web as a concentration-free bonus action. I'd just have you cast Web as normal. I'd also not require a save versus Exhaustion-or at least, not the FIRST time you do it.

It is an interesting concept, here are my alterations.

Drow Arts
At 3rd level, you can use your ki to duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points to cast faerie fire or web without providing material components. You also learn dancing lights cantrip or minor illusion cantrip.
Additionally, you gain proficiency with hand crossbows, rapiers, shortswords, and whips, and these weapons are considered monk weapons for you.

Deadly Webs
At 6th level, when you spend Ki to cast web spell you may choose a number of creature equal to 1+ your wisdom modifier(minimum 2) to become immune to the effects of your web spell. Additionally, any creature who becomes restrained by your web spell take additional damage from your weapon attacks equal to one of your martial arts damage die and also becomes poisoned.

Living Webs
At 11th level, The area in which you can cover with your web spell increases by an additional 20-foot cube. While within your web you may use the hide action and your movement does not provoke opportunity attack. Additionally, you may spend 2 ki points and your reaction to force each creature of your choice to make a dexterity saving throw, on a failed save they become restrained by your web spell.
Two Legs? That's Cute

Why remove Darkness and Levitate?

Poison needs a duration and end clause.

Living Webs, while more thematic, is really badly written. The 20' cube is fine, the ability to hide freely in your web doesn't actually do what you think it does, the not provoking AoOs is fine (well... Finely written, not necessarily fine in terms of power), the last bit literally lets you restrain someone who's on another plane as written.

Garfunion
2021-06-01, 11:41 AM
Why remove Darkness and Levitate?

I felt the additional weapon proficiencies made it a bit too much so I remove those two spells.

Poison needs a duration and end clause.
Fixed...I think

[B]Living Webs, while more thematic, is really badly written. The 20' cube is fine,
Hmmm

the ability to hide freely in your web doesn't actually do what you think it does, the not provoking AoOs is fine (well... Finely written, not necessarily fine in terms of power),
Was trying for a wood elf’s mask of the wild type feature

the last bit literally lets you restrain someone who's on another plane as written.
Fixed....I think

I’ve also made some additional changes.