PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Eldritch Blast build ?

da newt
2021-05-31, 12:32 PM
I'd like to build a PC that focuses on Eldritch Blast completely as primary attack, good damage with some control, and good defense / survivability, from lvl 1 to 15. How could I best do that?

So far I'm leaning toward Fighter 1 (con saves, hp, armor & shield, 2nd wind, FS), Fathomless Warlock 2 (agonizing & repelling blast, tentacle BA), then I'm not so sure ...

Maybe Vendlekin for the saves and on theme (w/ Tasha's flexable ASIs), 14 dex for MED armor / initiative, 16 con, 12 Wis, 16 CHA ... or Custom Lineage for 18 CHA at start w/ 1/2 feat.

Pact of Chain for IMP helper, more Fighter for action surge and extra ASIs ...

How would you build the best EB focused PC?

ff7hero
2021-05-31, 01:00 PM
Idk about best, but if I were building a character to spam EB I would go Genie Daolock with the Crusher feat to Push people around in a Spike Growth. I don't think I'd take Warlock further than 3, because the other thing I'd want is Quicken spell and a healthy number of Sorc point. I don't know which Sorcerer Subclass I'd go with, but my initial thoughts for the build would be Daolock3/Sorcerer17.

Basic gamelan would be Quicken Spike Growth and then Eldritch Blast to push people around in it. Pick up Tasha's Hideous Laughter (via Fey Touched) or some other means of Proning enemies so that even fliers have to deal with your spiky hazards.

Frogreaver
2021-05-31, 01:02 PM
I'd like to build a PC that focuses on Eldritch Blast completely as primary attack, good damage with some control, and good defense / survivability, from lvl 1 to 15. How could I best do that?

So far I'm leaning toward Fighter 1 (con saves, hp, armor & shield, 2nd wind, FS), Fathomless Warlock 2 (agonizing & repelling blast, tentacle BA), then I'm not so sure ...

Maybe Vendlekin for the saves and on theme (w/ Tasha's flexable ASIs), 14 dex for MED armor / initiative, 16 con, 12 Wis, 16 CHA ... or Custom Lineage for 18 CHA at start w/ 1/2 feat.

Hexblade - Hexblades curse and medium armor and shields
Pact - either chain or tome works well (depending on your ability to learn rituals as the game progresses)
Half Elf starting stats: str 8, dex 14, con 15, int 10, wis 12, cha 17
This sets you up for 2 feats later, Elven Accuracy and Resilient Con

I would consider a level 1-3 dip into rogue, but I'd judge that more by how important certain abilities feel after I'd hit level 5 and had some experience in the campaign. Expertise on Persuasion and Deception might be very nice. The added mobility the rogue can provide with cunning action is amazing. The swashbuckler bonus to initiative or the assassain turn 1 advantage is nice as well.

I could also see adjusting the stats for a 2 level dip into war wizard. Since your primarily using a cantrip that reaction defensive ability is very nice.

I could also see a level 1 dip into bard for more spells known and access to healing magic (which is great with your short rest recharge).

The core combat playstyle would be to start the encounter with a strong control spell, Hypnotic Pattern, Fear, Hold Monster, Hold Person, Banishment, etc. Use hexblade's curse on the strongest uncontrolled enemy and then proceed with EB.

Contrast
2021-05-31, 01:25 PM
If you're looking to all in on EB then 2 levels of Hexblade and the rest Sorc seems the way to go. Hexblades Curse and then Quicken as many EB as you can. Burn spells slots for more sorc points for more Quickened EB. Maybe 2 levels of Fighter for Action Surge but I'm less sold on that.

Whether this is a sensible thing to do is perhaps another question.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-31, 01:46 PM
I'll agree that Hexblade 2 or 3/ Sorcerer for the rest is the way to go. Take Dex 14, Con 14+, and max out Cha. Pick up Resilient: Con if you think you need proficiency in that.

Take Warlock spells that will be useful forever, such as Shield, Hex, Mirror Image, and Misty Step. Sorcerer spells should include Absorb Elements. Take Pact of the Chain for a familiar that can stay invisible and maybe Gift of the Ever-Living Ones, or Pact of the Tome for Book of Ancient Secrets.

Your Sorcerous Origin can be Divine Soul for some healing and more defensive spells, or Shadow Magic offers some pretty good benefits. Picking up Metamagic Adept for two more metamagic options early is highly recommended.

LudicSavant
2021-05-31, 01:48 PM

Here's a Pact of the Chain Celestial Giftlock that's very strong and checks your boxes:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25029862&postcount=1095

Good defense/survivability? This guy is in the "make Barbarians jealous" category of durability.
Focuses on Eldritch Blast? It takes Agonizing / Repelling / Grasp / Lance of Lethargy, gets Advantage from a familiar or Devil's Sight combo, gets to reroll 1s with Lucky, and makes good use of hazard spells that combo with them (knocking people through with your Eldritch Blasts). I'm not sure I'd say it focuses on it completely, though (I don't really do one trick ponies).

As for "best," there's more than one top tier EB-heavy build, and they have pros and cons relative to each other. There's no best pasta sauce, there are best pasta sauces.

Daolocks are great EBers because they boop people around Spike Growth, and because at level 17 they get Wish (and thus can get a Simulacrum that also shoots Eldritch Blasts). Hexblades are great EBers because of Hexblade's Curse. Undead Warlocks are great EBers because they basically get a Menacing Attack rider every turn (at least while in their form, which they can use as often as Barbarian Rage) and that is just utterly crippling when combined with the other CC effects of EB. Fiendlocks are good EBers because Hurl Through Hell is a devastating no-save EB rider (though it's just 1/day), and because Dark One's Own Luck can help them win initiative to make that boss fight disappear before anything even happens. Also they get Wall of Fire on their list, which is good for comboing with EB (deals no-save damage every proc, and EB is very good at making it proc repeatedly).

Sorlocks sacrifice spell progression and invocations but get Quicken Spell and (if your DM is into that sort of thing) coffeelocking shenanigans.

Stabbey
2021-05-31, 02:41 PM
I'm also interested in tips for an Eldritch Blast build, because, well, that's what Warlocks do... but I also would be reluctant to go so far as to make my planned character unrecognizable.

I'm planning to make a V.Human warlock with the Archfey patron and the Pact of the Talisman. V.Human feat would be either Fey-Touched or Alert. I'm considering taking Spell Sniper at level 8 for extra range and ability to ignore partial cover.

For Eldritch Invocations, I'd grab the Agonizing Blast immediately. I probably want to get Repelling Blast at some point, but I'm not sure when to get it. I'm really thinking about taking Eldritch Sight at level 2, and at least one of Rebuke or Protection of the Talisman at level 5 or 7. Devil's Sight seems tempting as well for the normal vision in darkness and the possible combination with the magical Darkness spell.

I probably won't take Eldritch Spear, because Spell Sniper would give me 240 feet of range, and I don't think I'd get a lot of use out of a 600 foot range.

Naanomi
2021-05-31, 04:29 PM
I'd have to look at what the 'modern' version would be, but I had a good time with a fighter 2/assassin 3/warlock x/sorcerer y build... Massive distance attacks in the few situations it could matter, big damage novas (three castings in a single round) also possible... End up with medium armor and good stealth...

RogueJK
2021-05-31, 04:39 PM
With EB, don't just focus on your EB damage output alone. The added damage from Hex and/or Hexblade's Curse are great, but consider all the useful and potentially even more damaging things you can do with the forced movement from Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar.

Either source causes no-save forced movement. Repelling Blast is especially nice, because it applies to each of your EBs and moves the target 10' on each hit, compared to Grasp of Hadar which only applies once per turn and moves them 10' total. But there are times that you may want to move an enemy closer instead of further away. And your DM may allow you to apply both at the same time, for up to 20' total movement on one EB hit.

This can be used with the environment, by pulling/shoving enemies off ledges/bridges/cliffs/etc. Falling from great heights hurts. A lot. And it can remove enemies from the fight purely by making you no longer accessible. Forced movement can also be used along with equipment like caltrops, preferably dropped by an invisible flying Familiar (like a Chainlock with an Imp or Sprite Familiar.)

And then think about how you can combo this forced movement along with persistent concentration hazard spells that deal damage when an enemy moves into/through an area. These can be from another party caster (especially a party Druid) if your group cooperates with tactics well. Or they can be spells cast by yourself. If you're not sure what the others in your group will be playing, you'll want to have hazard spells baked in. Warlock options for hazard spells include:

1. Create Bonfire. Any Warlock. It's the only hazard cantrip, so it's usable at no cost other than an Action and your Concentration. But it only affects a small area (up to 4 squares on a grid) and it allows a DEX save to avoid damage. Still, it can be handy for times when you don't want to spend one of your 2 spell slots (or don't have any left).
2. Wall of Fire. Celestial and Fiend Warlocks get this. A solid hazard spell, which does a decent amount of damage and doesn't allow a save to avoid damage from being pushed into it. But it's comparatively high level, only damages an enemy the first time they move into the wall on a turn, and it does Fire damage which is somewhat commonly resisted.
3. Cloud of Daggers. Any Warlock. It only affects a relatively small area, doesn't upcast all that well, and only damages an enemy once per turn. But it's fairly low level, doesn't allow a save, and does a rarely resisted damage type.
4. Sickening Radiance. Any Warlock can get this. But it allows a save to avoid damage and the rider effect. Still, it's a good sized area, and has a nasty Exhaustion rider. Potentially useful against low CON enemies.
4. Spike Growth. Dao Genie Warlocks get this. The best hazard spell, hands down, since it's only a 2nd level spell, it affects a decent area, allows no save, has a rarely resisted damage type, and has no limits on how much damage it can do to enemies per turn. You can really wreck someone's day when you subject them to a large amount of forced movement inside Spike Growth, like multiple hits with Repelling Blast plus Grasp of Hadar. Plus Dao Genies can add Bludgeoning damage to one EB hit per turn, so you can benefit from the Crusher feat for even more forced movement.

So your best bet for a standalone laser-focused EB Warlock would be a Dao Genie Chainlock. Take the Crusher feat to force movement with your EBs that have the additional Bludgeoning damage added on. For Invocations, take Agonizing Blast to add damage, and Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar for even more forced movement from your EB hits.

Plan to cast Spike Growth in bigger fights. With Crusher + Repelling + Grasp, you're looking at up to 25' of no-save forced movement on your first EB hit (15' pushing and 10' pulling), and another 10' push for each subsequent EB hit. Each 5' of movement inside of Spike Growth is an extra 2d4 damage, with no save. So 25' of movement is potentially 10d4 extra damage, and 10' is 4d4 extra.

And since Spike Growth is a 2nd level spell, the basic Spike Growth + Forced Movement EB routine can come online as early as Level 3. Then it just continues to grow with your additional scaling EB attacks per turn. Once you get 4 EB attacks, you can be doing up to 4d10+20 on the EB hits themselves and then up to another 22d4 damage from 55' total forced movement of enemies within Spike Growth, which works out to an average of 97 damage. (Depending on enemies' positioning within/around Spike Growth, and whether all your EBs hit, of course. So you won't always be able to max out that damage. And it also won't work against flying enemies.)

Even just figuring the basic 10' shove from Repelling Blast alone, Spike Growth can outdamage both Hex and Hexblade's Curse. Each Agonizing Repelling Blast within Spike Growth would be doing 1d10+4d4+5 (20.5 avg). That's more than EB+Hex is doing 1d10+1d6+5 (14 avg) on each blast. Or still barely more than EB+Hex+Hexblade's Curse, which even with high level +6 Proficiency Bonus would be doing 1d10+1d6+11 (20 avg) on each bolt. The additional forced movement from Crusher and Grasp of Hadar then just widen the damage gap even further. The only downsides are that Spike Growth doesn't last all day like Hex, and it costs an action to set up, unlike Hex/Hexblade's Curse which are Bonus Actions so can be used alonside EB from the start.

In lesser fights when you don't want to burn a spell slot, you'd use Create Bonfire as your Concentration hazard to push/pull enemies into, supplemented by your invisible flying Imp/Sprite Familiar dropping things like flasks of oil or caltrops for additional hazards.

Also potentially doable as something like a Dao Genie Chainlock 5 or 6/Sorcerer X, or a Sorcerer 3 or 4/Dao Chainlock X. This gets metamagic (like Quicken Spell to be able to Bonfire/Spike Growth + EB in one turn), plus more Spike Growth castings per day, at the cost of cramping your high level spells. Possibly better in Tier 2 and early Tier 3, but probably not as good in later Tier 3 or Tier 4 compared to a single classed Dao Chainlock.

Bloodcloud
2021-05-31, 05:10 PM
Ftr 2 for action surge
Sorcerer 3+ for Quicken spell
Warlock 3 gives you lvl 2 spell slots to burn for sorcery points and the boon, which is significant. You could go up to 5 to get one more invocation, an ASI and 3rd level slots (useful for 8 hour hex if nothing else, and quicker sorcery point recharge)

Heavy armor and shield + your focus, Con save profiency. Hex all day every day, repelling blast for forced movement. Others have noted the benefit of forced movement, but ideally coordinate with some party members to set those up rather than do everything yourself.

Thats about as much focus on eldritch blast as it gets.

Ganryu
2021-05-31, 05:38 PM
Warlock 2, Hexblade (You will never use your weapon)
* Grab Repelling and Agonizing Blast
Fighter 2
* Action Surge & Heavy Armor (1st level here)
Sorcerer X
* Sorcery points.
* Need Quicken. Grab Distant if you want to be mean.

Get Charisma to 20 asap. Then get Spell sniper. If you want to just be mean, then grab eldritch adapt, eldritch spear.

Turn 1, Hex enemy, eldritch blast away and run.

Turn 2, Eldritch Blast
* Bonus Action - Hexblade's curse
Turn 3, Eldritch blast.
* Action Surge - Eldritch Blast
* Bonus Action - Quicken Eldritch blast
Move 30 feet away

Turn 4, Eldritch blast
* Bonus Action - Quicken Eldritch blast
* Move 30 feet away

Turn 5, Watch your DM facepalm, and run for cover. Spell Sniper says hi.

It's basic, but it works.

If an enemy runs for their life, Distant Spell, Spell Sniper, Eldritch spear says 1200 feet of no escape.

Other builds
-----------------

Warcaster & Polearm mastery with hexblade & pike means no one is getting close to you. They get within range, and you can just blast them back 30 feet with eldritch blast. Get the Lance of Lethargy on top of things.

RSP
2021-05-31, 06:52 PM
Fiendlocks are good EBers because Hurl Through Hell is a devastating no-save EB rider (though it's just 1/day), and because Dark One's Own Luck can help them win initiative to make that boss fight disappear before anything even happens. Also they get Wall of Fire on their list, which is good for comboing with EB (deals no-save damage every proc, and EB is very good at making it proc repeatedly).

Just keep in mind, WoF isn’t see through, so once you push someone through, no more EBs on that target (as EB requires seeing the target).

As for the OP, multiclassing with Sorc should help (how much is dependent upon your tastes). And, going off of the one big flaw of EB, the sight requirement, Sorc gets you See Invisible, which should help.

On an EB build, I’d like AB, RB, Devils Sight, Eldritch Spear and Lance of Lethargy.

Cyclops08
2021-05-31, 07:09 PM
OK 5th level w/quicken spell. You have 4 rays that can push or pull.
Does the push/pull stack? if you hit with all 4, is that a 40 foot push?

RogueJK
2021-05-31, 07:35 PM
Repelling Blast's Push stacks. It is 10' per EB hit.

Grasp of Hadar's Pull doesnt. It is 10' on one EB hit per turn.

Up to your DM if you can do both together with the same EB blast... Pull 10' then push 10', or vice versa. RAW, I believe it works.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-05-31, 07:59 PM
OK 5th level w/quicken spell. You have 4 rays that can push or pull.
Does the push/pull stack? if you hit with all 4, is that a 40 foot push?

It is a 40 ft push with repelling blast, but only one of your blasts can pull. Some DM's may rule a single ray cannot push and pull since both effects are applied on a hit IE simultaneously.

For ultimate Eldritch Blasting to the exclusion of other things:

Half Elf, Elf, or Kobold: Fighter 2, Hexblade or Genie Warlock 6, Sorcerer 12.

I agree the Daolock is a solid choice, but flying creatures, complicating terrain for allies, and resistance/immunity to piercing/slashing/melee diminish its value later. However the concentration free flying is amazing. and the bottled respite is good enough to maybe warrant taking Warlock to 12 and Sorc to 6 since you can replenish Sorc points with spell slots you can recover after 10 minutes by taking Catnap at Sorc 5.

Hexblade gives you less overall since you're taking fighter levels to start.

If starting @ level 5 I'd recommend Warlock 2/Sorc 3. Good luck!

Greywander
2021-05-31, 08:11 PM
Repelling Blast's Push stacks. It is 15' per EB hit.
Where are you getting this from? Repelling Blast is a 10 foot pushback, not 15. So at 17th+ level you're able to push someone 40 feet back.

As far as optimizations go, there's a few you can get.

Agonizing Blast is a no brainer. It basically doubles your damage output, putting you on par with a generic fighter with a longbow.

Repelling Blast is also an excellent grab, as it turns EB from RAW damage to a useful control spell. The best part is that there's no save nor size limit; if you can hit it, you can move it, no exceptions.

Likewise, Grasp of Hadar and Lance of Lethargy are also useful, but less so than Repelling Blast because they only apply once per turn, rather than to each ray. Still, 40 feet of knockback combined with a 10 foot speed reduction is a good way of keeping an enemy away from you. The 10 foot pull gives you more control over where you position enemies, allowing you to pull them into hazards, off of walls, etc.

Speaking of hazards, Create Bonfire is available to all warlocks. It uses concentration, but that's less of an issue for warlocks since you only get 2 to 4 spell slots. So it's really nice to have a good concentration spell you can spam if you're out of spell slots or don't feel like spending them. Another useful thing about Create Bonfire is that it is an AoE spell; by RAW, you can technically hit a 3x2 square area, though that might be a hard sell to the DM, RAW or not. A more reasonable use of Create Bonfire is to hit a 2x2 area, allowing you to hit up to 4 medium targets at once. Again, concentration is the main limiting factor, and most other casters will have something better to concentrate on, but a warlock might not.

Dao genielocks can also get Spike Growth, which is probably the best hazard spell due to dealing damage based on how far they move. Throwing someone 40 feet through Spike Growth will deal an additional 16d4 damage, or 40 average. That's a lotta damage.

Genielocks also get to add their proficiency bonus to the damage of one attack per turn. This includes both weapon attacks and spell attacks, and works for cantrips as well as leveled spells. It's not just a benefit to EB, but that's likely what you'll be using it for most of the time. Each type of genie adds a different type of damage, which can create some interesting interactions with other classes or feats. For example, the dao allows you to pick up the Crusher feat an apply it any time you deal that bonus damage. Pretty sweet.

Hexblade, specifically Hexblade's Curse, probably gets you the biggest benefit to EB. It's not a small bonus, either, but it is limited in use. IMHO, you don't really need this, so I wouldn't hesitate to take a different subclass if you want to.

Eldritch Spear + Spell Sniper gives you a range of 600 feet on your EB. Overkill? Probably. But where this really works nicely is when you're in a wide open space. Fighting a dragon in an open field can be one of the worst things, as the dragon can just circle out of range until their breath recharges and then divebomb you with their breath weapon. This allows you to threaten a massive space, making it difficult to approach you without putting themselves in danger. It's also great for sniping from long distances, allowing for long range hit-and-run. Also, combine this with the knockback of Repelling Blast and/or the speed reduction of Lance of Lethargy and you can keep even high-speed enemies away from you for quite a while. It's a niche ability, to be sure, but it can give you a huge advantage when it comes up.

Straight warlock is fine, but there's no need to stay in warlock once you get the invocations you need. Fighter can get you Action Surge, not to mention armor proficiencies. Sorcerer can get you metamagic, which can be very potent. Not a lot of other classes offer anything that will directly benefit EB, but you might be able to get something that will fill out other aspects of your build.

RogueJK
2021-05-31, 08:18 PM
Where are you getting this from? Repelling Blast is a 10 foot pushback, not 15.

I've since corrected that, even before you posted. I had initially gotten it mentally crossed with the 15' total shove possible from Repelling + Crusher on a Daolock's Bludgeoning blast.

Straight warlock is fine, but there's no need to stay in warlock once you get the invocations you need. Fighter can get you Action Surge, not to mention armor proficiencies. Sorcerer can get you metamagic, which can be very potent. Not a lot of other classes offer anything that will directly benefit EB, but you might be able to get something that will fill out other aspects of your build.

Another multiclass that could potentially benefit you, if you're going the "Repelling Blast + Spike Growth" route and have a high enough WIS, is Swarmkeeper Ranger 5. That gets you a couple more Spike Growths per day, plus a shot at an additional 15' push on your EB each turn. But it's a pretty hefty investment for relatively minimal benefit, especially since this push is only once per turn, and the push allows a STR save to avoid based on your Ranger WIS-based spellcasting DC. Slightly more beneficial to something like a Hexblade, since they wouldn't have access to Spike Growth otherwise.

The Telekinetic Feat might also benefit a Repelling Blast + Spike Growth build, giving you another potential 5' in shove movement as a Bonus Action. (A Warlock concentrating on Create Bonfire/Spike Growth won't need to devote their BAs to Hex, like most standard Warlock normally would.) The downside is the relatively short range (30') compared to your EB. And it also allows a STR save, albeit with a CHA-based DC.

LudicSavant
2021-05-31, 08:58 PM
EB requires seeing the target No, it doesn’t.

Just keep in mind, WoF isn’t see through Which is a strong point in WoF’s favor. Not the other way around.

It’s why, for example, the Giftlock could solve MaxWilson’s Neogi fight with just one spell slot (plus EBs) using it.

Greywander
2021-05-31, 09:02 PM
EB requires seeing the target

No it doesn’t.
Correct. Generally speaking, anything that uses an attack roll doesn't require sight, but you will have disadvantage if you can't see the target. Anything that uses a saving throw usually does require sight. The original printing of Acid Splash didn't require sight, making it a bit unique in that regard, but unfortunately they errata'd it to require sight.

da newt
2021-06-01, 07:08 AM
Thanks all.

The Dao Lock is an interesting option, but is it better than a Druid Lock for Spike Growth (and other terrain control spells) + EB?

The Celestial Generalist is a great build, the HP generation is huge, but the flavor is a bit too benevolent for my taste for this guy. Maybe if I tweaked it toward vigilantism as a motivation ... Yuan Ti with a spiteful Couatl patron?

Also of note, I need this guy to be stand alone capable - my table has been proven to struggle with team work / synergy / tactics ...

RogueJK
2021-06-01, 07:13 AM
The Dao Lock is an interesting option, but is it better than a Druid Lock for Spike Growth (and other terrain control spells) + EB?

Depends. Multiclass combos are generally built around having one primary stat plus one or two secondary stats. That's what most characters will be able to pull off, especially when using point buy or the standard array for stats. Once you get up into needing multiple primary stats, it gets hard to pull off without lucky/generous stat rolls.

Druid 3/Warlock X is probably the most viable route for this combo, since you could get away with only a 13ish WIS, and just stick to non-WIS-dependent Druid spells: something like Spike Growth, Absorb Elements, Detect Magic, and Fog Cloud, with Guidance and Mold Earth as your cantrips. This would allow you to be a Hexblade or other non-Dao Warlock, and still have access to Spike Growth, at the cost of delaying your Warlock progression. For Druid Subclass, I'd probably go Land Druid, picking Mountain, Grassland, or Coast. This gets you a bonus cantrip like Mending or Shape Water, plus Natural Recovery for an extra Spike Growth each day, as well as a couple 2nd Level bonus spells, both of which are useful and neither of which require WIS.

Otherwise, if you're wanting more than just a handful of lower level non-WIS-dependent Druid spells and plan to take more Druid levels to gain further battlefield control spells, Druid/Warlock becomes MAD, requiring you to max out 2 stats (CHA and WIS) plus needing a decent DEX and CON too. Daolock - or Daolock/Sorcerer - only requires maxing out CHA, plus a decent DEX and CON, so is a more reasonable path.

If you happen to roll really well and are able to have a high WIS and CHA together, then Warlock/Stars Druid could be fun. Stars Druid gets you Archer Form, which gives you an additional WIS-based Bonus Action ranged attack to use alongside Eldritch Blast, or to use to lay down a bit of damage on the round when you first cast Spike Growth/Create Bonfire.

RSP
2021-06-01, 10:45 AM
No, it doesn’t.

Which is a strong point in WoF’s favor. Not the other way around.

It’s why, for example, the Giftlock could solve MaxWilson’s Neogi fight with just one spell slot (plus EBs) using it.

Huh, so it doesn’t. Would have sworn EB required “a creature you can see”, though apparently I’ve just been nerfing my warlock…