PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew shield: too powerful

The_Jette
2021-05-31, 12:53 PM
Hi. I'm thinking of giving the fighter in my group a homebrew shield she can use, but wanted to see what people thought of it. It's a magic shield that provides the user the Deflect Arrows ability of a monk, treating their monk level as their level. The character isn't going to multi-class into monk, and even if she did it wouldn't be able to stack because monks can't use shields. But, she's using Protection as her fighting style, and I thought it might be a good addition for her character. That way, if she's not using her fighting style, she still has something to do with her reaction other than just possibly getting an opportunity attack.

Old Harry MTX
2021-05-31, 01:52 PM
Hi. I'm thinking of giving the fighter in my group a homebrew shield she can use, but wanted to see what people thought of it. It's a magic shield that provides the user the Deflect Arrows ability of a monk, treating their monk level as their level. The character isn't going to multi-class into monk, and even if she did it wouldn't be able to stack because monks can't use shields. But, she's using Protection as her fighting style, and I thought it might be a good addition for her character. That way, if she's not using her fighting style, she still has something to do with her reaction other than just possibly getting an opportunity attack.

Quick question: it needs attunement, right?

GalacticAxekick
2021-05-31, 01:55 PM
This isnt overpowered at all! It's a simple, fun and balanced magic item.

Damon_Tor
2021-05-31, 04:38 PM
This seems like a fine item to me.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-05-31, 07:46 PM
Sounds fun--and perfectly balanced--to me.

Greywander
2021-05-31, 08:17 PM
Quick question: it needs attunement, right?
If it's not giving a +X to AC, then attunement might not be needed to balance this. If it does require attunement, I'd consider giving it a bonus to AC as well. Of course, this will also depend on the item's rarity; an item that doesn't require attunement will generally be rarer than an item with the same effect that does require attunement.

Old Harry MTX
2021-06-01, 12:48 AM
If it's not giving a +X to AC, then attunement might not be needed to balance this. If it does require attunement, I'd consider giving it a bonus to AC as well. Of course, this will also depend on the item's rarity; an item that doesn't require attunement will generally be rarer than an item with the same effect that does require attunement.

You mean an additional bonus to AC other then the usual +2 granted by the shield? Because, as a shield, I have assumed that it gives at least +2, in addition to the benefits of Deflect Missiles.

Greywander
2021-06-01, 01:52 PM
Right, I mean a shield +X. I know magic items are meant to cover a variety of tiers, including tiers where you may not have all your attunement slots filled, but I can't help but compare magic weapons, shields, and suits of armor that require attunement to their +X counterparts that do not. Why would I use a weapon, shield, or suit of armor that requires attunement when I could use a weapon/shield/armor +X and attune to a different item instead?

Of course, that's more with regards to theoretical builds, where you can just "assume" that you can eventually find a weapon +3, shield +3, and armor +3. In actual play, you'll have to make do with whatever your DM gives you. It's just hard to get out of that mindset sometimes. Eventually, though, you probably will fill all your attunement slots, at which point magic items that don't require attunement will start to look more appealing.

Old Harry MTX
2021-06-01, 02:59 PM
Right, I mean a shield +X. I know magic items are meant to cover a variety of tiers, including tiers where you may not have all your attunement slots filled, but I can't help but compare magic weapons, shields, and suits of armor that require attunement to their +X counterparts that do not. Why would I use a weapon, shield, or suit of armor that requires attunement when I could use a weapon/shield/armor +X and attune to a different item instead?

Of course, that's more with regards to theoretical builds, where you can just "assume" that you can eventually find a weapon +3, shield +3, and armor +3. In actual play, you'll have to make do with whatever your DM gives you. It's just hard to get out of that mindset sometimes. Eventually, though, you probably will fill all your attunement slots, at which point magic items that don't require attunement will start to look more appealing.

You are right but you have also to consider thar the Arrow-Catching Shield, that's quite similar, requires attunement.

Il would probably add attunement and specify that the player can choose either Dex or Str for the Deflect Missile feature...

The_Jette
2021-06-01, 03:36 PM
You are right but you have also to consider thar the Arrow-Catching Shield, that's quite similar, requires attunement.

Il would probably add attunement and specify that the player can choose either Dex or Str for the Deflect Missile feature...

Absolutely requires attunement. I was just going to set it to Dex. I'll have to reconsider that. And, I wasn't going to add any additional bonus to AC, since shields already grant a bonus to AC.

Composer99
2021-06-01, 05:35 PM
The Arrow-Catching Shield, a rare item that requires attunement, is a +2 Shield against ranged attacks and has a reaction feature that lets you become the target of a ranged attack if it's original target is within 5 feet of you.

If this shield is a general +1 shield and requires attunement, it would be fine IMO as a rare item.

Edit: Also, I concur with allowing either Strength or Dexterity for the deflection effect.