PDA

View Full Version : Tailoring Encounters so certain players shine

blackjack50
2021-06-01, 12:25 PM
I have a few back stories from friends for an upcoming campaign. They will start at level two (pre-To is going to be skill-based and RP). What I would like to do is have a few encounters in my back pocket where I can make situations that help players shine.

I do have the character sheet for the barbarian. Does anyone have examples of encounters that really help this character shine? I would assume most melee encounters work, but I’d like for the barbarian to not just be “the sponge.” I’d like for them to be the heavy hitting tank too. Any ideas?

LudicSavant
2021-06-01, 12:28 PM
I have a few back stories from friends for an upcoming campaign. They will start at level two (pre-To is going to be skill-based and RP). What I would like to do is have a few encounters in my back pocket where I can make situations that help players shine.

I do have the character sheet for the barbarian. Does anyone have examples of encounters that really help this character shine? I would assume most melee encounters work, but I’d like for the barbarian to not just be “the sponge.” I’d like for them to be the heavy hitting tank too. Any ideas?

Classes are not single characters on a character select screen -- two different 5e characters of the same class can perform extremely differently from each other and will shine in different situations. Likewise, party composition is important too. As such you should provide more information; you're not going to get high quality feedback if the only information you give people is "it's a Barbarian."

nickl_2000
2021-06-01, 12:29 PM

Does the barbarian have proficiency in athletics (and the player a good mind for shoving)? Because rage shoves into a pit can be both memorable, effective, and fun for a barbarian. They have advantage from raging and the strength to pull it off pretty well.

blackjack50
2021-06-01, 12:33 PM
Classes are not single characters on a character select screen -- two different 5e characters of the same class can perform extremely differently from each other and will shine in different situations. Likewise, party composition is important too. As such you should provide more information; you're not going to get high quality feedback if the only information you give people is "it's a Barbarian."

There will be a rogue and a warlock as well. No idea of 4 or 5. General is fine. The Barbarian is your typical tank from what I can see. Level 2 will have battle axe.

blackjack50
2021-06-01, 12:34 PM
Does the barbarian have proficiency in athletics (and the player a good mind for shoving)? Because rage shoves into a pit can be both memorable, effective, and fun for a barbarian. They have advantage from raging and the strength to pull it off pretty well.

Yes. A Goliath barbarian. I like that idea. Maybe dumping weapons might help too? That way the stronger players shine?

DwarfFighter
2021-06-01, 02:10 PM
..., but I’d like for the barbarian to not just be “the sponge.” I’d like for them to be the heavy hitting tank too. Any ideas?

Simple fix: Let the Barbarian receive a special blessing where he deals extra damage in the encounters related to his backstory. E.g. Haste and double weapon damage dice. Once the backstory related mission is resolved the blessing ends.

GM: The old blind shaman reaches out and grasps your hand. "Uluk! It IS you! You live still! I knew in my heart our tribe was not truly lost! The ancient spirits have guided you here for that purpose. Let their strength and wisdom guide you as you confront the traitorous Bekar and free our people from his tyranny! Restore our honor!" He places his hand on your forehead and you feel a surge of power fill you.

Etc.

I think this makes sense since it clearly singles out the Barbarian for the purpose of following up on his backstory. It is a temporary boost, so you need not worry about introducing unbalancing benefits that will harm the game in the long term.

You should also consider how to highlight other classes. It doesn't need to be a magical blessing: Allowing a character to temporarily impersonate royalty, for example.

nickl_2000
2021-06-01, 02:16 PM
Yes. A Goliath barbarian. I like that idea. Maybe dumping weapons might help too? That way the stronger players shine?

Nah, I don't think there is a reason to get rid of weapons for an encounter (unless you want to create a tavern brawl, then YES!). Shining isn't about doing the most damage, in my mind, it's about doing something awesome and memorable in combat.

-A caster dropping a mass suggestion that disables the entire set of bad guys for 24 hours.
-An Arcane Trickster using his mage hand to steal every single arrow out of the bad guys quivers from a hidden position
-The barbarian hurling the tabaxi dex based fighter up in the air at a flying succubus who we are having trouble killing due it being flying
-A Fighter standing tall blocking all comers in a doorway while the rest of the party hides behind
-A Barbarian shoving someone off a ledge
-A barbarian holding a door shut (or ripping it off the hinges) to close off (or open access to the enemies)
-An epic leap over a chasm giving instant access to the enemy spellcaster that others take 3 rounds to get to.

(yes these have all happened in games).
etc.

Using the environment can make such a huge difference for strength based characters it is absolutely amazing.

Kurt Kurageous
2021-06-01, 04:17 PM
I think you as the DM are making a common but big mistake.

Your DM job is to come up with the conflicts, situations, problems, roadblocks. The player's job is to overcome them using what their PCs bring to the game.

Once you start imagining/deciding how they will overcome it, you have sucked the fun out of it for the players. And if there's only one solution, you are going to really tick them off.

You want to write combat for the barbarian, but the face/caster defuses the conflict with calm emotions. You want to create locks and traps for the rogue, but the barbarian smashes the trap/door/wall with advantage against visual threats (Danger Sense) and resistance to damage through (bear totem?) rage. You want to create a scenario...just create the scenario and let your players amaze you (and each other) with their clever solutions.

Sorry I could not help you more.

DwarfFighter
2021-06-01, 04:54 PM
Once you start imagining/deciding how they will overcome it, you have sucked the fun out of it for the players. And if there's only one solution, you are going to really tick them off.

I disagree. When you are designing a challenge, there should also be a solution, maybe even several options. Though player creativity should be respected, you shouldn't rely on them being able to solve a puzzle if you cant think of a solution yourself!

GM: "You break down the door and find your contact with a dagger in the chest. There are no other exits."

Player: "Man! Who could have done this?"

GM (thinking): Well, that's up to you to find out, I never decided...

-DF

Sorinth
2021-06-01, 05:12 PM
Weave the backstory into the game and not just the named people.

As an example, let's say the party need some info from some random guard captain. Have that guard captain be from the Barbarian's old tribe who is now working here in the civilized world as a mercenary. They know and recognize each other but weren't close friends or anything. There's now an opportunity for the Barbarian to have a bit of the spotlight and be the one to persuade him (Probably with advantage).

blackjack50
2021-06-01, 08:50 PM
Simple fix: Let the Barbarian receive a special blessing where he deals extra damage in the encounters related to his backstory. E.g. Haste and double weapon damage dice. Once the backstory related mission is resolved the blessing ends.

GM: The old blind shaman reaches out and grasps your hand. "Uluk! It IS you! You live still! I knew in my heart our tribe was not truly lost! The ancient spirits have guided you here for that purpose. Let their strength and wisdom guide you as you confront the traitorous Bekar and free our people from his tyranny! Restore our honor!" He places his hand on your forehead and you feel a surge of power fill you.

Etc.

I think this makes sense since it clearly singles out the Barbarian for the purpose of following up on his backstory. It is a temporary boost, so you need not worry about introducing unbalancing benefits that will harm the game in the long term.

You should also consider how to highlight other classes. It doesn't need to be a magical blessing: Allowing a character to temporarily impersonate royalty, for example.

Well. I fully intend to highlight each character. The barbarian is just the first one for me to think about because he got his stuff in first. The rogue was next, then the warlock lol. There is someone flipping between monk, fighter, and cleric. I will worry about those people after the barbarian.

But I love the idea of a special bonus for an encounter.

blackjack50
2021-06-01, 09:08 PM
I think you as the DM are making a common but big mistake.

Your DM job is to come up with the conflicts, situations, problems, roadblocks. The player's job is to overcome them using what their PCs bring to the game.

You want to write combat for the barbarian, but the face/caster defuses the conflict with calm emotions. You want to create locks and traps for the rogue, but the barbarian smashes the trap/door/wall with advantage against visual threats (Danger Sense) and resistance to damage through (bear totem?) rage. You want to create a scenario...just create the scenario and let your players amaze you (and each other) with their clever solutions.

Sorry I could not help you more.

I’m very open to player change to a scenario. I just think it is very important to make sure that one player isn’t outshining others all the time (in combat). It is a team game. Encounter balance is important so that each member of the team feels valued. I want to lean some situations towards some characters. Then lean them other ways. If they end up avoiding the situation? Fine with me lol. That is player choice. I’m a facilitator. I can lead the barbarian to combat, but I can’t make them rage.

Theodoxus
2021-06-01, 09:55 PM
I disagree. When you are designing a challenge, there should also be a solution, maybe even several options. Though player creativity should be respected, you shouldn't rely on them being able to solve a puzzle if you cant think of a solution yourself!

GM: "You break down the door and find your contact with a dagger in the chest. There are no other exits."

Player: "Man! Who could have done this?"

GM (thinking): Well, that's up to you to find out, I never decided...

-DF

Do I know you? Have you sat at my table in the past?! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

Seriously though, that's how I run most of my games, wobbling back and forth from one encounter to another, letting the players come up with the solutions. Sometimes I roll a die and take that number of suggestions as the one that works. Sometimes I'll just wait until they do something completely unexpected. Though I will come clean and say if the players kind of mouse around and never show initiative, I'll eventually come up with a solution and stick to it. But that's only happened a handful of times.

I also don't change published material unless I know a player or two have played through it before. A scene where a riddle is needed to open a doorway might turn into a puzzle trap instead.

The worst is when my players remember things I forgot because they were so trivial to me and the plot - but they want them to mean much more... that's when my creative juices fly. It's scary/fun.

blackjack50
2021-06-02, 11:29 AM
How about a warlock? What kinds of combat do they typically shine in? I’ve never really played one. I know they have the Eldridge Blast.

nickl_2000
2021-06-02, 11:35 AM
How about a warlock? What kinds of combat do they typically shine in? I’ve never really played one. I know they have the Eldridge Blast.

depends on the invocations that they have really and the spell selection.

Ettina
2021-06-03, 07:58 AM

Tough to say without knowing the specific warlock build. Warlock is a heavily customizable class, one warlock might shine in a fight that another warlock would be seriously disadvantaged in.

The one general rule I can say for all warlocks is that if you have a lot of encounters per long rest with plenty of opportunities to short rest in-between, the warlock will shine better. Especially in comparison to party members who get their class abilities back on a long rest, like non-warlock spellcasters, barbarians, paladins, etc. So if you find that the warlock is feeling weaker than the wizard, for example, throw more encounters at them or don't let them take a long rest and the warlock will have a time to shine.

Azuresun
2021-06-03, 08:10 AM

Something where strength is a factor is the obvious answer--the classic descending ceiling or portcullis that needs some serious muscle to stop it while the other PC's escape. Enemies that force Strength saves can also let a barbarian shine.

Also, get creative when describing what they're doing to their enemies with their finishing blows--it's a bit cheesy, but I've gotten mileage out of "your blow ends at their left hip--too bad for them it began on their right shoulder".

And apart from the mechanics of an encounter, consider how the enemies and other onlookers are reacting to the barbarian when they're doing their thing--maybe they're visibly awestruck or unsettled about how nothing they throw at this warrior is even slowing them down, and how amazing / terrifying it looks from their point of view when this man-monster is shrugging off arrows, swords and spears like they're mildly annoying insect bites. I've found it can be very effective to say "From the point of view of X, this is what the last few seconds look like!" to hype up player characters.

There's a bit near the end of Max Payne, where the main villain berates her minions as you rampage through them--"What do you mean, 'He's unstoppable?!"".

LudicSavant
2021-06-03, 08:32 AM
There's a bit near the end of Max Payne, where the main villain berates her minions as you rampage through them--"What do you mean, 'He's unstoppable?!"".

"What do you mean, "he's unstoppable"? You are superior to him in every way that counts. You are better trained, better equipped, and you outnumber him at least twenty-to-one! Do. Your. Job."

Unoriginal
2021-06-03, 10:06 AM
Having individual characters shine can also be done by having some sidequests or side activities that have one PC fighting alone for a while.

Like a 1vs1 no-weapon match, or a sorcery contest against a challenger, or that kind of things.

As long as the players aren't reduced to spectators for extended lengths and everyone get their opportunity, it can work.

but I’d like for the barbarian to not just be “the sponge.” I’d like for them to be the heavy hitting tank too.

Sorry, I don't get what you mean by that. Could you elaborate, please?