PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here play "Five Torches Deep"?

Trafalgar
2021-06-01, 06:50 PM
So the youtube algorithm has suddenly decided I need to see reviews of "Five Torches Deep", an Old School Revolution game that is a mix of B/X and 5e.

I have a fondness in my heart for B/X and BECMI. The first time I played an RPG was when my father brought the Basic set home and me and my brither played "Keep on the Borderlands". But I would never go back to BECMI because of its many problems.

But the idea of an RPG that combines 5e's playability with BECMIs simplicity appeals to me. Does anyone play "Five Torches Deep" on a regular basis?

gijoemike
2021-06-04, 03:09 PM
This intrigued me as I haven't heard of it. I read up about character generation and a few differences. It is slimed down from 5e which is to be expected.

But my local gaming store doesn't have it. Not a single person that is a TT gamer owns it, or has played it. Granted I don't know that many as I am not as active in the various groups anymore, something about family and work.

I realize this post wasn't helpful to you at all, but I am interested in learning more. Please share what you discover.

Tanarii
2021-06-04, 06:55 PM
I haven't play tested Five Torches Deep, but I checked it out based on your post. O5R: Into The Unknown seems better.

Leonard Robel
2021-06-08, 02:51 AM
I haven't but Questing Beast on Youtube often talks about it and the concept intrigues me.

Trafalgar
2021-06-20, 07:30 AM
I haven't but Questing Beast on Youtube often talks about it and the concept intrigues me.
I just watched the "Questing Beast" Review and another one on a youtube channel called "Dungeoncraft". Both were favorable. Essentially it looks like 5e converted for a low magic campaign with an old school vibe.

One thing I thought was weird is that demi humans get a 13 in their prime requisite. Are you the smartest elf that ever elfed? 13 in Intelligence. Did you flunk out from elf university? 13 Intelligence. Ninja Halfling? 13 Dex. Obese halfling? 13 Dex. That seems to be a not very "old school" approach to stats.

Kol Korran
2021-06-20, 07:45 AM
I haven't played it either, but Libertad wrote a very intriguing review on this site.
Use the search function, with "Five torches deep" in the search querry, and "Libertad" as poster. It's quite thorough!

Trafalgar
2021-06-20, 08:35 AM
I haven't played it either, but Libertad wrote a very intriguing review on this site.
Use the search function, with "Five torches deep" in the search querry, and "Libertad" as poster. It's quite thorough!

Thanks! I guess that's a problem with the search engine on this site. When I searched "Five Torches Deep" this thread doesn't show up anywhere near the top.

Democratus
2021-06-22, 07:37 AM
I haven't play tested Five Torches Deep, but I checked it out based on your post. O5R: Into The Unknown seems better.

O5R: Into The Unknown is fantastic. I heartily recommend it.

A very nice blend of OSR and 5e that seems to capture the best of both. Aside from mechanics, the DM advice provided in the game is amazing and applicable to running any fantasy game.