PDA

View Full Version : Good Feats For A...

Akennedy
2007-11-12, 07:23 PM
Okay, I'm trying to find a couple of good feats for a Wizard/fighter Gish. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone Else can feel free to ask for other good feats for whatever class/build they would like. Thanks to all who contribute!

Amiria
2007-11-12, 07:26 PM
Practiced Spellcaster to keep you caster level up.

Gishes are a bit more squishy than pure fighter classes. That's why I like my gishes with reach weapons. Take a guisarme and Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes and all the usual related feats.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-12, 07:33 PM
Wizard/Fighter: Battle Caster? Would that give you Light Armor or does it only work with Medium?

I need good feat choices for a 2nd level Human Bard aiming at Lyric Thaumaturge.

ocato
2007-11-12, 07:39 PM
Hey, short haft is great for reach weapons. Sometimes a guy gets in your face and you need to hit him, and the ability to change your reach weapon into a nonreach weapon and back isn't terrible.

brian c
2007-11-12, 07:43 PM
If ToB is available, I really like Jade Phoenix Mage (although it's easier to get into with Battle Sorcerer than as a Wizard, but if you're gonna multiclass anyway you don't care).

AslanCross
2007-11-12, 08:00 PM
Arcane Strike is good for any gish, though it'd be better with a fighter/sorcerer or a duskblade. (More spell slots to burn)

Deepblue706
2007-11-12, 10:26 PM
For any gish, it's important to have a good amount of AC - because, if you'll be doing any close-quarters fighting, your HP won't last you very long. This means wearing heavy armor is necessary to keep yourself alive, unless you have an amazing DEX - which is unlikely, unless you have good stats all-around, because INT and CON should definitely be favored (and your melee abilities won't be too potent without a fair amount of STR). Because of Arcane Spell Failure, however, armor is a hassle. Thus, I think it's very important that you grab Still Spell. You prepare the spells at one level higher, but that full plate armor you've got won't ever be a problem.

As noted, Arcane Stike is an excellent addition for a Gish, as it allows the option of doing some heavy damage, in place of a spell. If you have Power Attack, this can give some extra hurt. If you can spare a feat, Cleave may be worth it, as well.

Improved Toughness is a good filler feat - it adds 1 HP per level to your maximum, essentially a +2 to CON. As a Gish, HP is very important, making this a fairly solid choice.

Improved Initiative is also nice filler, as a good initiative can sometimes get you out of some nasty situations.

Eventually, you'll want Quicken Spell, which can be used to deliver some nasty hits. A Quickened True Strike paired with an Arcane Strike (with Power Attack) can take a huge chunk of out some enemies - even moreso if it's a two-handed weapon. If you like, you can try grabbing Leap Attack so that you can enhance your damage potential.

A reach weapon can be very useful if you have Combat Reflexes - another solid choice. It also helps out in surprise fights, where you can otherwise be quite vulnerable.

You could also get a bit experimental, and try new applications of your martial and spellcasting abilities - such as sacrificing a caster level to grab Exotic Weapon Master for one level. This means you'll have to grab EWP: Spiked Chain - but, this class has ability that allows you to flurry with the chain, which is nice when you've got ways to enhance your hitting ability.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-12, 10:45 PM
Really, for a gish, I recomend Duskblade. If you don't want to play one of those (which for flavor, or whathave you, I can understand), I would look at the Prereqs for some of the better Gish PrCs (which I am certain I don't know), especially somthing that gives you the ability to cast in armor (Like Spellsword, IIRC).

Crow
2007-11-12, 10:48 PM
If you plan on using Abjurant Champion in your gish build, I'd skip Arcane Strike, as your 4th level of AbChamp will give you effectively the same thing (but with more options).

Also, duskblade is good if you don't mind never having access to some of the best spells out there. You get some neat abilities to make up for it though.

Temp
2007-11-12, 10:55 PM
Arcane Strike, Quicken Spell and Power Attack are almost givens in any Gish, Wizard and Fighter Build (respectively, of course).

Depending on the Prestige Classes available, Combat Casting (For Abjurant Champion in CompMage), Still Spell (For Knight Phantom (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050706a&page=4)in 5 Nations) can be good.

Dodge and Mobility for Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) can be worthwhile. It doesn't really need the Fighter levels, though.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-12, 11:42 PM
If you are shooting for a basic Eldritch Knight gish: Factotum - 1, Wizard - 5, EK - 8, Spell Sword -1 (For -10% ASF if you don't want to spend a feat), Abjurant Champion - 5, at level 20 you cast as a wizard - 18. Phantom Knight is nice but a little harder to qualify for than EK.

Factotum - 1 will give your PC martial weapons proficiency and 2 IPs which generally recharge for each encounter so Int Mod to attack or saves (or damage) as a free action is pretty sweet, plus can be applied to any skill.

As a human with Adaptive learning you could learn all skills as class skills including the Samauri Iajutsu skill from Oriental Adventures.

The Font of Inspiration feat isn't bad as you gain more IPs with each feat: 1, 2, 3, 4.......

If leveling up and using PBMII retraining rules a reserve feat like Fiery Burst could be nice before swapping it out.

Depending on your game Improved Initiative could be nice.

A variant gish would be Druid - 3, Wizard - 3, Arcane Heirophant -10, Other PRCs to taste as you would have no ASF in Druid armors and AH is D6 with good BAB. Taking a level of Factotum-1 would still allow you to cast level 9 spells at level 20.
I like the Spellfire Wielder feat from MoF.