PDA

View Full Version : What to do with conflicting PCs?

Accersitus
2007-11-12, 07:34 PM
In a campaign we are playing atm, the party consists of
members of an organization that kills chaos (it's a homebrewed
setting with the chaos gods from the warhammer universe
as the big evil in the world), with everything from paladins to
the ones who focus on killing chaos beyond all else.
The problem here is that the very short description of
my char is that he used to be enslaved by Dark Elves,
and joined the order because he would have a chance
to get revenge on the dark elves who in this setting
worship one of the chaos gods.
Last session one of the PCs (a wizard) played too much with
a magical portal and got himself killed, and his new char is
a semi drizzit clone(yes, a dark elf) who appears to have some
memmory loss/was born away from other dark elves/
is a lying evil bastard.
This far in the campaign, out newly initiated "knights"
have not encounterd any dark elves, and other than
evidence of some traumatic event in the past, the other chars/PCs
don't know about my chars past experience with the dark elves.
So far I have told the DM that I try and never let the new party
member out of my sights, and I consider carefully before I accept
plans/information/other advice from the Dark Elf.

I would accept any advice on how others have dealt with Similar Situations,
because I want my char to stay generally good, but the player of the dark elf
has a history of playing chars who are morally grey at best and I don't want my char to be killed in his sleep if the dark elf is evil. I don't want to have
to kill another PC if there is a chance that he is good, since confirmation of killing an innocent would be my chars first step on the path of chaos. But I don't want to keep his char alive in the party if i catch him doing something
that would indicate he has evil intents or something similar just because
it's a PC when my char wouldn't have let him stay.
And I want to try and keep my char generally good in this campaign.

Naihal
2007-11-12, 09:51 PM
Whatever game you're playing, it's ultimately that: a game. We play for fun, and if the PC's are killing each other, no one's having fun. Talk to the other player and ask him not to do anything drastically evil, even if it would be in character. Likewise, don't try to get a preemptive strike even if it would be in character for you. Though there should certainly be animosity between your characters, given the backstory you described, don't let it get out of control. If all else fails, ask your DM to step in - and he should, if you come to blows.

If your DM refuses to intervene, then he's siding with the dark elf, meaning you're outnumbered two to one and are therefore in the wrong and deserving of getting killed :smalltongue:

Also, clean up your original post, it's really hard to read.

Jack Zander
2007-11-12, 10:23 PM
Because of the way my browser is showing your post, your second paragraph has the words "Situations," "elf" "have" something" all on individual lines. This implies to me that under a situation where the elf has something, it's okay to kill him.

...cryptic...

Blanks
2007-11-13, 07:10 AM
Whatever game you're playing, it's ultimately that: a game. We play for fun, and if the PC's are killing each other, no one's having fun. Talk to the other player and ask him not to do anything drastically evil, even if it would be in character. Likewise, don't try to get a preemptive strike even if it would be in character for you.
Exactly.

When you have all gone home, nobody will remember who the "best" roleplayer was, but everybody remembers who the jerk was.

Don't be the jerk...

Kiero
2007-11-13, 01:11 PM
You can't fix player-level problems with character-level solutions.

Talk to your GM and the player in question, don't waste your time trying to fix something in-game to deal with it.

Rad
2007-11-13, 04:39 PM
You can't fix player-level problems with character-level solutions.

Talk to your GM and the player in question, don't waste your time trying to fix something in-game to deal with it.

Seconded. Talk with the player and sort it out in a way that is fun for everybody. Remember that there is no thing such as the right to make whatever character you want AND have it accepted by the party; there needs to be agreement on that.

Satyr
2007-11-13, 05:35 PM
I would recommend the exact opposite route: Play your character the way he was meant to be. If this means that there will be a major confrontation between the two characters - try to enjoy it. Discord and hatred can be as fun as harmony and cooperation. But you should strictly distinct between the out game level and the ingame level- your character (who is not you) is annoyed/frightened/hated by the other player's character (who isn't his player either). Don't get personally fed up over the fate of a fictive character. And refuse to be forced into inconsequence. For your character, there is no distinction between NPC's and PC's, so why should you treat them different in game? If there is a threat, treat it accordingly. Defend yourself, self-pity your moral dilemma, but do it strictly on the character level.

Take it as a chance. Enjoy a good rivalry or even enmity to the other character without getting personally involved. Take it as a chance, try to find allies among the other PC’s. Try to convert the dark elf. Save his life from grave danger (even though you are inclined to let him die).

Go, speak with the other player. Come to an agreement with him and the GM as well, and take it as chance instead of a barrier. But differentiate between character and player. You are not your character and if a player is emotionally dependent on the well being of his or her character, said player is no fun to play with.