PDA

View Full Version : Ramming

Blackdrop
2007-11-12, 08:00 PM
I'm a little confused. According to the Space Combat and movement rules on ramming a ship does damage to it's size category instead of its weight category. So according to the rules an assault fighter (a Colossal size, ultralight weight ship) does the same amount of damage that a dreadnought (a Colossal size superheavy weight ship) does when it rams into something.:smallconfused:

That doesn't seem quite right does it?

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-12, 08:10 PM
Which game system is this for? :smallconfused:

Blackdrop
2007-11-12, 08:17 PM
d20 modern future

Zincorium
2007-11-12, 08:18 PM
I'm a little confused. According to the Space Combat and movement rules on ramming a ship does damage to it's size category instead of its weight category. So according to the rules an assault fighter (a Colossal size, ultralight weight ship) does the same amount of damage that a dreadnought (a Colossal size superheavy weight ship) does when it rams into something.:smallconfused:

That doesn't seem quite right does it?

It's a rushed abstraction. Think of it as a measure of surface area. A small ship will get crushed, but a significantly larger ship will only have a small area affected by a crash with the small ship. This is not good reasoning, honestly, but it's what I'm getting.

Frankly, no sane ship captain would ever ram anything. You're in an air-tight box with hard vacuum outside, and you're going to put leaks in your hull? On purpose?!

Jasdoif
2007-11-12, 08:27 PM
I believe weight is accounted for in hit points. That assault fighter has 9 hit dice, the dreadnaught has 1200.