PDA

View Full Version : Archery Ranger: looking for advice

Nosta
2021-06-02, 02:44 PM
Ranger Master Archer Build
What race? Sub Race?
Feat? ASI?
Spells that effect archery / have cool archery like effects ?

quindraco
2021-06-02, 02:47 PM
What race? Sub Race?
Feat? ASI?
Spells that effect archery / have cool archery like effects ?

Half-Elf, standard: DEX 17 CON 16 WIS 16
ASIS: Sharpshooter, Crossbow Expert and +2 DEX or Gunner+Piercer, Elven Accuracy (not necessarily in that order)

Spells: Hunter's Mark, Entangle

J-H
2021-06-02, 04:08 PM
Half-Elf, standard: DEX 17 CON 16 WIS 16
ASIS: Sharpshooter, Crossbow Expert and +2 DEX or Gunner+Piercer, Elven Accuracy (not necessarily in that order)

Spells: Hunter's Mark, Entangle

Pretty much this. You could also go Wood Elf for a bit more speed and better hiding, or some other variety of elf for a couple of cantrips or something. Maybe skip Crossbow Expert if you want to use regular bows. I'd probably grab one of the skill feats for even more skills.
Grab the Archery fighting style of course.

Dropping in 3 levels of Champion Fighter helps you leverage criticals better with Elven Accuracy. It's not like Ranger 20 is any good unless your DM alters the capstone.

heavyfuel
2021-06-02, 07:24 PM
You don't actually need much Con at all. You have d10, good AC, and amazing Dex saves which is more than enough to handle the occasional hit you'll take as you stand far far away in the battlefield. Not saying having Con is bad, just that it's hardly a priority. You'll do fine with a 12, 14 is great, and 16 is splurging that you should only do if you rolled incredibly well.

paladinn
2021-06-02, 08:06 PM
If you want to excel as an archer, would Ranger or Fighter be better as a core class? Fighter would give you the same fighting style choice but a couple more ASI's/feats.

Would a dip into rogue/scout be beneficial? I know in 3e there was kind of a hybrid of ranger/scout that was pretty effective.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-06-02, 08:20 PM
If you want to excel as an archer, would Ranger or Fighter be better as a core class? Fighter would give you the same fighting style choice but a couple more ASI's/feats.

Would a dip into rogue/scout be beneficial? I know in 3e there was kind of a hybrid of ranger/scout that was pretty effective.
For raw DPR? Probably Battle Master Fighter with Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert-- even Swift Quiver isn't enough to let the Ranger catch up with the number of shots, and being able to use Precision Attack to make up for the Sharpshooter penalty is a nasty trick. Not to mention Action Surge spike damage. But it's not like the Ranger is very far behind, especially with the new Tasha's options.

A rogue dip... not a terrible idea, actually. Rangers don't get anything particularly exciting at higher levels, beyond additional spellcasting, so racking up sneak attack damage certainly doesn't hurt. Ducking into Druid or Cleric is also good.

Kane0
2021-06-02, 09:47 PM
What race? Sub Race?
Feat? ASI?
Spells that effect archery / have cool archery like effects?

Elf or half elf, use tashas to swap around stats and profiencies.
Use tashas to get deft explorer, spellcasting focus and primal awareness
Archery fighting style
Sharpshooter, elven accuracy and/or piercer feats
Hunters mark and entangling strike spells
I really like fey wanderer but hunter, beastmaster using tashas, gloom stalker and swarmkeeper are all good options

Ir0ns0ul
2021-06-03, 06:13 PM
Goblin
DEX 17, WIS 16, CON 15.
Skill Expert (Perception), Resilient (CON), max DEX.
Play like a mini-Rogue; hit and hide/run.
Hunter, Horde Breaker and Hail of Thorns to specialize AoE or Gloomstalker, Dread Ambusher and Hunters Mark for reliable nova damage.

Paladin777
2021-06-03, 06:58 PM
I'm currently playing a goblin gloom stalker and he's really quite potent. In the main encounter last session he inflicted about 40% of the casualties out of a 5 player party because he never seems to miss.

We were 4th level (now 5th) and with 27 pt buy I started
Str 12 (being able to climb in a jungle campaign before reaching level 6 is a good thing)
Dex 17
Con 14 (you never know when you'll have to put that d10 hit die to use standing in front of a real squishy like a sorcerer with 10 con...)
Int 8
Wis 15
Cha 8

I also refuse to use Tasha's race rules...

I took squat nimbleness at lvl 4, bumped my Dex to 18, and look forward to a movement/swim/climb speed of 40 at level 6! (I know there are better options mechanically, but this one got me proficiency in acrobatics and the other stuff appealed to me too)

Keravath
2021-06-05, 04:16 PM
Gloomstalker ranger
Variant human with crossbow expert feat at 1st level
Boost dex or take sharpshooter at 4th level

After 5 (extra attack) or 7 (wisdom saving throw proficiency) levels you can continue in ranger (the level 11 ability is good) or start adding levels of rogue for cunning action, expertise and sneak attack damage.

The main problem with xbow expert + sharpshooter + elven advantage + ... is that it doesn't actually get online until level 12 for any race except custom or variant human. In addition, elven advantage is useless unless the character has a reliable way to get advantage on attack rolls. Gloomstalker invisibility can do this .. as could the warlock approach of darkness+devils sight ... or shadow of moil/greater invisibility for a level 7+ caster (usually blade pact warlock). However, the warlock lacks the archery fighting style unless they multiclass or use a feat.

P.S. Kobold also works well with their pack tactics ability but this can be offset by sunlight sensitivity if you are playing with a group that does a lot outside during the day.

da newt
2021-06-05, 04:31 PM
Keravath - did you add the Samurai 7th lvl WIS save to a Gloomstalker Ranger by accident, or did I miss something?

Emongnome777
2021-06-05, 04:44 PM
Keravath - did you add the Samurai 7th lvl WIS save to a Gloomstalker Ranger by accident, or did I miss something?

Gloomstalker has this at 7th:

Iron Mind
By 7th level, you have honed your ability to resist the mind-altering powers of your prey. You gain proficiency in Wisdom saving throws. If you already have this proficiency, you instead gain proficiency in Intelligence or Charisma saving throws (your choice).

Paladin777
2021-06-05, 05:13 PM
I think if you're going to go for the elven accuracy/sharpshooter combo you're probably better off on a fighter chassis for the extra ASI's. It'll get online much quicker and you could even take samurai for reliable advantage with fighting spirit in a pinch. Combine with action surge and you've got yourself a deadly opening round that would make any ranger jealous, especially after level 11!