PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some advance on what to play?

Nosta
2021-06-02, 03:42 PM
Hello. I am looking for a Character Build / Concept that'll Mesh well with the rest of my party. Be useful on and off the battle field. Not to complicated and real fun to play.

In 3.5 /PF 1e I was very much the one hit one kill DPS guy. And we'll I want to be able to hold my own. I don't want the steal the show.

The party are all level 6 soon To be level 7 and consist of the following.

A human Valor Bard
A half orc Open Hand Monk
And A third part rabbit like race Wild Sorcerer.

ID like to support the group by filling in a role we are missing.

Stabbey
2021-06-02, 03:50 PM
Bards can do a little healing, and a bit of everything... Monks can tank a bit, but are a little lacking in damage, Sorcerer handles a lot of the spellcasting... I think what the group could use is a front-line damage dealer.

Perhaps a Paladin to be a solid damage dealer, and also to handle a little of the backup healing/getting people back up from K.O.

Unoriginal
2021-06-02, 03:55 PM
Hello. I am looking for a Character Build / Concept that'll Mesh well with the rest of my party. Be useful on and off the battle field. Not to complicated and real fun to play.

In 3.5 /PF 1e I was very much the one hit one kill DPS guy. And we'll I want to be able to hold my own. I don't want the steal the show.

A human Valor Bard

I would suggest a Conquest Paladin or a Cavalier Fighter.

micahaphone
2021-06-02, 04:02 PM
Paladins are good fun, and incredibly well rounded. Tank, heal, a bit of spellcasting, or put those slots into some juicy smites. You declare smites after you hit, so you can always hang onto one slot for when you crit, because smite dice get doubled too! Pretty much any subclass is good too.

Or if you're more into the "unkillable" side of things, I am a personal fan of Barbarians. Be unkillable, but do enough damage that they can't ignore you. Outside of the classic bear totem (gain resistance to practically all damage), I recommend you look up Ancestral Guardian (if you attack an enemy, their attacks against your allies will be half damage, encouraging them to focus you) or Zealot barb (little bit of extra damage, free resurrections, at higher levels you keep fighting even if you should be dead).

If you wanna be a support caster, Clerics are very tanky and can do impressive stuff this edition. Check Tempest cleric for some great damage (CD to maximize lightning/thunder damage), Forge for super tanky, or Order for some great CC.

Sorinth
2021-06-02, 04:03 PM
Tempest Cleric would work well, especially if you went High-Elf (Assuming Tasha's) and grabbed Booming Blade as your cantrip. You're able to mix it up in the front lines while still having all the cleric caster abilities to support the team.

Throne12
2021-06-02, 05:12 PM
I would suggest a Conquest Paladin or a Cavalier Fighter.

I would second the Conquest paladin. I'm playing one right now we are lv14. They are so much fun to play for a while I was just using my spell slots for smites. But you get great spells. Last weekend I split the part tacking the battle Smith artificer with me leaving the wizard, ranger, and sorcerer to themselfs. Well I ran into a lv13 totem barbarian with storm giant belt and a same lv gloomstalker ranger. The barbarian went straight for the artificer with the Ranger taking potshots off at me. I use all my first lv slots on command burning up the barbarian rages. Each turn i cast command with the word clam. Dm lest us cast BA spells even if we cast a spell as a Action. So my BA's where compel duel spirit Shroud then spiritual weapon. I had to finish of both the barbarian and the ranger and bring the artificer back with my lay on hands. At the end of the night I was sitting with 8 hp but I did it and they where npc friends so I didn't kill them. So the moral of the story is Conquest paladins are badgrass and are power houses with a great tool set.

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-02, 06:11 PM
[SPOILER]

A human Valor Bard

Hmm...As a test, I'm going to run this through my Class Picking algorithm and see what it spits out.

So you have two Charisma-based characters, so we can probably say that Charisma is out
As a note, in my algorithm, it's possible to specify whether your want to prioritize helping the party or being strong independently. I'm going to set that question to "Really helpful". but let me know if you have a preference.

So the questions it asks are:

Do you want to be a melee combantant or use range?
Do you prefer to solve your problems through force or finesse?
Do you want to solve problems with physical talent or magic?
Do you want playing your character to be simple or complex?
Do you want your character to be civilized, or a savage?
Do you want your character to be kind or self-centered?
Does your character serve a higher power, or their own interests?
Does your character influence others, or are they more independent?
Do you want to be more consistent, or more versatile?

And then I fill in the answers from 1-10, where 1 is the absolute most "First" descriptor in that question, and 10 is the absolute most "Second". For instance, question #1 would have a 1 be "Very Melee" and 10 be "Very Range". 0 can also be used, to omit the question from the totals.

So I filled them in as such:

Note that I did add a slight bias to melee combat, as your front line would be perfect with another medium combatant, as it's not like you really need a tank for this party, but the change does remove super squishy things like the Wizard from being included (which is not something that anyone would recommend).

Then, basically what the thing does is compare your results to the ranking of each class in those questions. For instance, Barbarians are the most "Melee" class in the game, so they are essentially very close to the response of "10". The further the distance from the user's response, the more "points" that class gets, essentially using the points as a means of counting how much "Failure" each class in those categories. Then they're just sorted from fewest points to most.

So the results were, in order of best to worst:

Cleric
Paladin
Bard
Artificer
Sorcerer
Ranger
Druid
Warlock
Monk
Rogue
Barbarian
Wizard

So my vote goes for Cleric, if you don't mind having two Wisdom characters and be limited to 2-3 stats across the party, or Artificer.

Clerics are probably one of the simplest spell casters in the game, mostly due to how RP-limited their spells are compared to Wizards or Druids, which would fit perfect with toning down the usual complexity of a full caster to the level of difficulty you're looking for.

Artificers can be a little on the complex side, but otherwise are probably one of the best party supports in the game without even having to rely on spending their actions on buffs. They are complex out-of-combat, which means you don't have to stress about what you're doing in the moment.

If anyone thinks these results are bad, please message me and let me know! I'm always interested in critique and improvement.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-06-02, 07:57 PM
You've got two casters and one light melee fighter. So... yeah, Paladin is pretty perfect, giving your group a tank, secondary healer, and primary damage-dealer. It's very hard to go wrong with a Paladin in any circumstance, really.

But!

Man_Over_Game is (as usual) right that Artificer is also a great choice. It doesn't quite have the raw smiting power of a Paladin, but an Armorer or Battle Smith can take a hammering in the front line while bringing some useful damage and healing to the party. The big advantage over Paladin is in ability scores-- your group already has two high-Charisma characters, so adding a high-Int character is probably more useful than a third face.

The Magewright and Steelsworn from my Guide to Greatness fill similar criteria (because they were written before 5e had a good magic-item-master or Intelligence-based half caster). The former creates (temporary) magic items right out of the DMG, with one subclass for extra fightiness and tankiness and one for alchemy. The latter is sort of an anti-Paladin--instead of using their magic to smite their foes, they use it to wrap themselves in defensive spells.