PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Ways of acquiring special/unusual undead without DM kindness?

DragonIceAdept
2021-06-02, 09:00 PM
I'm looking for ways for players to get access to things besides the typical skeleton and zombie. From the low-level like Slaymate to the awesome Dream Vestige, I'm interested in every method of making or otherwise acquiring these undead without the DM throwing one at you, ready to rebuke. The Minmaxforum's Collection of Necromantic Oddities (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?;topic=181.0) has been invaluable so far, but I'm looking for even more.

So far the only additional one I've found is Undead LeadershipLM, but there has to be more, right?

Thunder999
2021-06-02, 09:19 PM
Shrouds of the unholy can get you basically any undead since you get to pick when you say the command word. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x most of the way down that article.

DragonIceAdept
2021-06-02, 09:23 PM
Very nice. However if this just gets you what you want, why are there three different versions for different spells? How should this be adjudicated?

One Step Two
2021-06-02, 09:36 PM
Very nice. However if this just gets you what you want, why are there three different versions for different spells? How should this be adjudicated?

That is because the three different costed versions replicate casting of Animate Dead (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateDead.htm), Create undead (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/createUndead.htm) and Greater Create Undead (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/createGreaterUndead.htm). Which also determines the type of undead created.

Edit:

Other options:

Unapproachable East has has the Animate Dread Warrior spell, which makes a Dread Warrior under your command, the template/monster stat block is from the same book.
City of the Spiderqueen explains that you can use Greater Create Undead to create Silveraiths, a more advanced undead with unique qualities.

DragonIceAdept
2021-06-02, 09:49 PM
Silveraith is very nice, the Collection of Necromantic Oddities forgot to mention it outside of spirit binding. Thanks!

Zarvistic
2021-06-03, 12:28 AM
With an undead familiar you could share spell alter self or similar to change them up.

DragonIceAdept
2021-06-03, 12:54 AM
With an undead familiar you could share spell alter self or similar to change them up.
Aha, I hadn't thought of that! Alter self would also work as a necropolitan. Excellent idea!

Bohandas
2021-06-03, 01:01 AM
You can get a vampire by using a hireling and an existing vampire

Malphegor
2021-06-03, 05:52 AM
also consider the Undead Leadership feat. The main thing is you get one intelligent undead cohort that generally most groups will let you design yourself.

But also you get the undead equivalent of Leadership’s followers, and as no-name generic undead you can get creative with these even if they are less combat capable than a wingless butterfly in a volcano.

Ettina
2021-06-03, 08:23 AM
Killing someone with level drain can get you a wight.

liquidformat
2021-06-03, 11:57 AM
Killing someone with level drain can get you a wight.

So can handing them a quiver of unholy... arrows:biggrin:

Silva Stormrage
2021-06-03, 12:16 PM
The Flesh of Orcus is a 6k wonderous item from Ghostwalk that can turn humanoid creatures into vampires without an already existing vampire.

Spirit Binding and it's various spells from the Wu Jen spell list work like planar binding but can bind any incorporeal undead of appropriate HD.

Metamorphic transfer and assume supernatural transformation can help you grab some "create spawn l" abilities if you can polymorph into the various undead with those abilities. The spawn lasts after the polymorph ends after all though some DMs may rule your control ends with the polymorph.

I personally dislike the idea that the shrouds of the unholy works like has been discussed. It's pretty obviously a typo and the item is just meant to replicate the various spells you use as its prerequisite. It is not meant for a 1.5k item to be able to raise an Atropal.

DragonIceAdept
2021-06-03, 12:18 PM
The Flesh of Orcus is a 6k wonderous item from Ghostwalk that can turn humanoid creatures into vampires without an already existing vampire.

Spirit Binding and it's various spells from the Wu Jen spell list work like planar binding but can bind any incorporeal undead of appropriate HD.

I personally dislike the idea that the shrouds of the unholy works like has been discussed. It's pretty obviously a typo and the item is just meant to replicate the various spells you use as its prerequisite. It is not meant for a 1.5k item to be able to raise an Atropal.

The Flesh of Orcus is gorgeous, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Spirit Binding is great too. Thanks!

Thurbane
2021-06-03, 03:50 PM
The Bone Creature and Corpse Creature templates (BoVD) can both be made using Create Undead/Create Greater Undead: while not specific undead, the fact that the base creature retains their special abilities can give you some great undead minions.

Basically, just pick a monster you want as a minion that has neat abilities, undead-ify it.

DragonIceAdept
2021-06-03, 04:04 PM
Bone Creature is top notch, I love it. I didn't realize you could make it with Create Undead, so thank you!

ShurikVch
2021-06-04, 03:37 AM
Savage Species have rules for changing races and adding templates via Wish spell. Obviously, it may be used for creation of unconventional Undead

Well, not everybody have access for all three spells
What if Sorcerer knows only Create Greater Undead?
Thus, if they would want to craft Shrouds of the Unholy - they would be forced to use Create Greater Undead

DragonIceAdept
2021-06-09, 12:45 AM
Dragon 336 lists several unusual undead and their creation methods. The new ones are these:

Boneclaw (Create Undead+Greater Magic Fang): requires a corpse of a Large magic-using humanoid-shaped creature (like an ogre magi and some hags). Create Undead must be at least CL15.
Charnel Hound (Create Greater Undead): requires 200 corpses, Caster Level of at least 20, and unholy unguents worth at least 15,000.
Crawling Head (Create Undead): requires a sacrificed giant who just fed on at least three sentient beings. Every day at sunset there is a 1% chance of the crawling head breaking free.

Thurbane
2021-06-09, 01:24 AM
Dragon 336 lists several unusual undead and their creation methods. The new ones are these:

Boneclaw (Create Undead+Greater Magic Fang): requires a corpse of a Large magic-using humanoid-shaped creature (like an ogre magi and some hags). Create Undead must be at least CL15.
Charnel Hound (Create Greater Undead): requires 200 corpses, Caster Level of at least 20, and unholy unguents worth at least 15,000.
Crawling Head (Create Undead): requires a sacrificed giant who just fed on at least three sentient beings. Every day at sunset there is a 1% chance of the crawling head breaking free.

That's actually really cool, and great to know!