PDA

View Full Version : Truenamers

Egill
2007-11-12, 08:15 PM
Has anyone playtested these guys as a GM or player?

The Truespeak DCs seem pretty steep, but I cannot really assess how this works out without playing one.

Anyone have experience or thoughts about this magic system?

MCerberus
2007-11-12, 08:17 PM
I've never played one but you may find some relevant information here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62910).

Egill
2007-11-12, 08:20 PM
I've never played one but you may find some relevant information here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62910).

Thanks, I am checking it out now.

Egill
2007-11-12, 08:30 PM
Also, I promise to use the search function in the future.

Forgive my newtardness.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-12, 11:19 PM
Thats OK, the search function for this forum is kinda cruddy. My general opinion on truenamers is that the concept is great, but the implementation barely qualifies as playable. An expert with UMD is almost as good as an equal level truenamer.

jameswilliamogle
2007-11-13, 08:27 AM
They really require a lot of equipment and focus to work out. I think practically that they may be ok... There's a sweet spot between L8 and L12 where they can hit about a 90% probability of hitting an equal CR opponent w/ their effects (its mainly due to the fact that they can afford better +stat items and +truename equipment from ToM at that level). I think that they're better off as party buffers than as anti-enemy.

I swear I'm going to play one of them... some day...

Hyozo
2007-11-13, 09:28 AM
Truenamers are great, it's the skill they depend on that needs a fix. If the truespeak DCs are reduced, truenamers will be playable, but if you need to get a 111 to do anything against the Tarrasque, something has to be wrong.

The Professor
2007-11-13, 09:33 AM
I agree with the consensus. The Truespeak DCs are just too rough.

Our group has them reduced to 20 + CR, rather then 15 + CR x 2. Sucks a bit more in the beginning, but far more doable later on.