PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/barbarian super accurate GWM

Paladin777
2021-06-03, 10:47 AM
Stop me if you've seen this before, but here's an idea that's been floating around in my head the last couple of days and I thought I'd share. It's a half-elf devotion paladin6+/barbarian2(or more for a subclass and ASI as desired)/(maybe a cha spell caster for additional spell slots). The gimmick is using GWM in conjunction with the devotion paladin's +cha to hit channel divinity as well as Reckless Attack to make GWM super accurate when s*** gets real (and having a couple rages in your back pocket is never a bad thing).

I know that this would be extremely MAD, but I think it could work and be a lot of fun, as long as you're a half-elf anyway! Variant human could probably work too for early access to GWM.

Half-elf
Str 15(16)
Dex 13(14)
Con 13 (left odd to take resilience: con)
Int 8
Wis 9 (leftovers... :p )
Cha 14(16)

V human
Str 15(16)
Dex 14
Con 13
Int 8
Wis 9
Cha 13(14)

In full disclosure, I don't think I'll end up playing this one because of other character ideas I've got in my head, but maybe someone else might like to give it a try!

stoutstien
2021-06-03, 10:57 AM
The real issue you face past being MaD is the damage hole you have to dig out of if you don't get a chance to have your CD up before an encounter starts.

quindraco
2021-06-03, 11:01 AM
The real issue you face past being MaD is the damage hole you have to dig out of if you don't get a chance to have your CD up before an encounter starts.

Standard-issue problem for Devotion paladins, usually solved with a fighter dip, so far as I know.

Paladin777
2021-06-03, 11:04 AM
While that's a fair point, that's a problem that any devotion Paladin has, not just this build.

Still might be worth it for the super accurate GWM though. I'll play with the mathhammer when I get home.

Maybe for some extra fun-sies, maybe 3 levels in fighter for 19-20 crits because with GWM they're actually worth shooting for! XP

stoutstien
2021-06-03, 11:04 AM
Standard-issue problem for Devotion paladins, usually solved with a fighter dip, so far as I know.

Devotion pallys don't have a problem in of themselves with bonus action spells to work with.

For multi-classing looking to get some increased attack value and some smite potential the conquest pallys +10 would generally be easier to mesh with barbarian and isn't Cha dependent.

Mastikator
2021-06-03, 11:19 AM
How do you feel about War cleric? They can add +10 to hit with channel divinity, it can be added after the d20 is rolled and doesn't waste actions. Less mad (only need wisdom, str, con). As a single class cleric you'll have full spell casting to fall back on if the situation calls for alternatives to smacking things.

ff7hero
2021-06-03, 11:39 AM
I think if super accurate GWM is your goal, a Battlemaster with 2 levels of Barbarian might be the way to go. Precision Attack is less clunky than the Devotion CD, and since it's used after missing it will likely turn more misses into hits than the Devotion CD as well. You can also use Brace or Riposte to generate extra GWM attacks, or Ambush to improve your Rocket Tag game.

If you have a party member who can provide you with regular advantage (tripper, Faerie Fire user, etc), you can even go straight Battlemaster. GWM scales excellently with extra Extra Attacks.

Paladin777
2021-06-03, 11:54 AM
I have nothing against war cleric (or BM), but this is just me theory-crafting on whether or not a particular concept could work. Playing a divinely powered-up, mad-capped berserker just sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

stoutstien
2021-06-03, 11:58 AM
It would be one of those concepts to whip out when you happen to roll well and want something odd to try.

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-03, 12:06 PM

Usually solved with a Hexblade dip nowadays. Doesn't fix the Barbarian MADness, tho.

Best-case scenario I see is going Tortle and dumping Dex.

Paladin777
2021-06-03, 12:23 PM
Best-case scenario I see is going Tortle and dumping Dex.

Yep, that would definitely do the trick!