PDA

View Full Version : Mana Sphere (Spheres in Review)

SangoProduction
2021-06-03, 12:42 PM
Preamble: And… this is the final first party magical sphere. I’m going to have to make a slight adjustment, and have to assume that there *is* a notable prevalence of magic-using enemies. Otherwise you simply wouldn’t use the sphere (although I do remember there being support talents, which are much more reliable, but don’t think they were noteworthy). So, no points off for being hyper specialized, as that’s baked into the assumption of the sphere. I also assume that the spell-spell point-transparency is being used.

Link (https://docs.google.com/document/d/17RbohGprVg1jy55rjhxs7tbm7JQyZuC3CVgTkzpQAnU/edit?usp=sharing)

Post-Review Analysis:
Took me just over a day to finish this. Not because there’s a lot here. It’s more that I kept getting bored and distracted. I really do not like this sphere at all.
Notable exceptions are Mark of Lifeburn, Flow, and Transfer. Control Resistance is also really nice, in the case that you face a bunch of casters.
Despite my probably unreasonably high ratings. I think I was over compensating.
Or perhaps I was just bored because making a bunch of NPC casters is essentially a "no," as far as DM prepping, and I don't see such a focus being useful.

icefractal
2021-06-03, 01:51 PM
I've only used Mana in a support capability, since caster foes just aren't that common, but in that regard it's pretty nice.

I think you underestimate Mystical Bond - at CL 16 w/ Sudden Empowerment, that's +6 CL (although more like +4 since it doesn't stack with boons). For many spheres that's pretty significant. I dislike the "doesn't stack with boons" thing though, because it means that once you have a Mana-user in the party your boons usually don't matter.

SangoProduction
2021-06-03, 02:01 PM
I've only used Mana in a support capability, since caster foes just aren't that common, but in that regard it's pretty nice.

I think you underestimate Mystical Bond - at CL 16 w/ Sudden Empowerment, that's +6 CL (although more like +4 since it doesn't stack with boons). For many spheres that's pretty significant. I dislike the "doesn't stack with boons" thing though, because it means that once you have a Mana-user in the party your boons usually don't matter.

Eh... But there are so many better bonds than it, and no one can receive more than one. And by so many, I do mean basically 2. But those are good from the beginning, and you don't need to keep reapplying it every time your ally casts something for you to get a notable benefit.

icefractal
2021-06-03, 02:07 PM
I guess I'm thinking more in terms of long-duration buffs - it's basically free to use Mystical Bond for those. Free even in SP, as you can use an Expunge or Manipulation to apply it without spending any.

SangoProduction
2021-06-03, 02:14 PM
I guess I'm thinking more in terms of long-duration buffs - it's basically free to use Mystical Bond for those. Free even in SP, as you can use an Expunge or Manipulation to apply it without spending any.

Hrmm. Good point. One I wasn't considering.

Is it worth two talents (by not giving up Mystical Bond, and taking Sudden Empowerment)? I mean, definitely not before level 8. That isn't even a question. But after level 8, you probably have your entire core dealt with, and are just looking for supplements. It'd be a small supplement to exclusively long term buffs... your allies' long term buffs, since you can't boost your own... But definitely a supplement.

By the time you're basically epic level, it becomes notable. But... I don't think that's a good metric.

Kitsuneymg
2021-06-03, 05:39 PM
Mana feels like someone looked at the 3.5 warlock blast types that drain incarnum and said “yes. We want this feeling.”

Tbh, it feels more like a DM sphere. The preboss and ads can chuck some sp drain at the party to make them more tense when the BBEG stomps on in.

SangoProduction
2021-06-03, 05:42 PM
Mana feels like someone looked at the 3.5 warlock blast types that drain incarnum and said “yes. We want this feeling.”

Tbh, it feels more like a DM sphere. The preboss and ads can chuck some sp drain at the party to make them more tense when the BBEG stomps on in.

... Ooo... I like that idea. I like that a lot. Normally the problem with attrition is that it takes a long time (particularly out of game time), but this would accelerate it.
Need to be fairly careful not to drain the party dry, but... I like it. My party can thank you when we're done.

AmberVael
2021-06-05, 08:18 PM
Preamble: And… this is the final first party magical sphere.

Did I miss Divination and Warp getting posted somewhere? :smallconfused:

SangoProduction
2021-06-05, 08:25 PM
Did I miss Divination and Warp getting posted somewhere? :smallconfused:

You are not wrong. I did notice that I forgot Divination. But I was almost 100% certain that I did do Warp.

Well. I got a real job, so chances are, I won't be getting to it any time soon. I do invite people to do their own versions though.
...Hopefully have a job. Haven't been officially hired yet.

Kitsuneymg
2021-06-06, 06:08 AM
You are not wrong. I did notice that I forgot Divination. But I was almost 100% certain that I did do Warp.

Well. I got a real job, so chances are, I won't be getting to it any time soon. I do invite people to do their own versions though.

Hopefully you get officially hired soon!

AsuraKyoko
2021-06-08, 09:34 AM

Well, hopefully congratulations, then!