PDA

View Full Version : How would you do a Princess Bride party?

Wasp
2021-06-03, 03:09 PM
Hello everyone

After watching the Princess Bride again, I was thinking - how would you do a party inspired by the movie, more precicely on Westley, Inigo, Fezzik and Buttercup?

I think Buttercup is sadly the most difficult one for me as she doesn't really have as much to do as the others, but maybe she's a ... bard?

Westley is probably a Pirate Swashbuckler Rogue and Inigo a Battlemaster Fighter. Fezzik is maybe a Goliath Barbarian Grappler or a Rune Knight? I don't know.

Any ideas?

It's probably not a really balanced party, but I kind of like the idea that the four of them did have some adventures after the movie *lol*

Aett_Thorn
2021-06-03, 03:19 PM
Westley is definitely a Swashbuckler Rogue, maybe with a few levels of Battlemaster Fighter for some maneuvers.

Fezzik I would say is definitely a Barbarian. He's tough in a fight, but doesn't have staying power after a while. Plus, he fights without armor, which is a fairly classic Barbarian thing. Maybe even Bear Totem as he "resists" the fire from the cloak.

Inigo I would say is a Champion Fighter. He has devoted his whole life to fighting and only fighting, which seems pretty much on par with the Champion. Plus, his "regen" at the end there could be the Champion's Survivor ability. A few levels of Vengeance Pally would fit, too, for theme.

Buttercup, unfortunately in the movie, is basically a level 0 commoner. After the movie ends, she's free to go in whatever direction you see for her, though. But she is basically the MacGuffin of the movie, not really an active participant.

loki_ragnarock
2021-06-03, 03:45 PM
To the thread title:

I would invite some people over, pop some corn, and set some cokes to chill. Which given that most of my friends are vaccinated now, seems like a damn fine idea. So thanks for that.

They clearly rolled for stats.

Westly has 18s across the board, and for some reason the DM never questioned it. He is a battlemaster fighter/rogue. He is higher level than you.

Inigo has an 18 dex, fairly high con considering, pure fighter. Uses second wind after getting sneak attacked.

Fezzik is a Hunter Ranger with Hoardbreaker and a penchant for grapples. He has had a twenty strength since he was 13, and a girdle of giant's strength that he uses to hold up his pants. Player keeps forgetting to use spells, regardless of the DM continuing to tell him to.

Buttercup is... I also don't know. A commoner with an unusually high charisma?

Wasp
2021-06-03, 03:50 PM
I start to feel like the only flaw of the Princess Bride may be that Buttercup doesn't really get to do anything. Too bad D&D doesn't have an attribute called Courage. That and Charisma seem to be the only really defining things for her.

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-03, 05:37 PM
Lol, Buttercup is the Mastermind that spends her action to use/yell Help.

Cikomyr2
2021-06-03, 05:44 PM
Wesley is too much of a gary sue to be a rogue

Clearly he's a Bard

Palanan
2021-06-03, 05:48 PM
Does 5e have any kind of aristocrat class? Buttercup did spend some time in the palace, so presumably she had some training in courtly etiquette.

And she never seems to have any trouble telling Westley what to do, so she has an instinct for wielding authority.

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-03, 05:49 PM
Does 5e have any kind of aristocrat class? Buttercup did spend some time in the palace, so presumably she had some training in courtly etiquette.

And she never seems to have any trouble telling Westley what to do, so she has an instinct for wielding authority.

Eloquence bard? One who's separated from her team (and is thus absolutely useless)?

Lord Vukodlak
2021-06-03, 06:00 PM
Look Buttercup is a divine sorcerer with only support spells.

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-03, 06:05 PM
Look Buttercup is a divine sorcerer with only support spells.

TBH, it sounds like you're saying "Bard" with a bunch of other words.

Rater202
2021-06-03, 06:22 PM
he "resists" the fire from the cloak.

Actually, that's a property of the cloak.

You'll note that it's specifically called a "holocaust cloak." Prior to the second world war, the term "holocaust" referred to the act of destroying something with fire.

a Holocaust cloak is something you'd wear for protection while burning something: It's a thick all-encompassing cloak made of materials that just don't burn.

I believe it's elaborated on in the novel, but by very carefully dragging a straight razor across the outer edge of the coat, it'll become covered in fine fibers that are made of the same substance as the cloak but, due to being 'fuzz rather than tightly woven together, are flammable, but slowly burning.

It's basically a parlor trick: As long as Fezzic doesn't move, he's at no risk of being burned(Hence having him stand on a cart that is pushed forward) A similar effect could be achieved by coating the outside in a flammable substance, but that's probably not what they went with.

The whole thing is essentially an elaborate bluff: The image of a giant, perfectly calm while engulfed in flame claiming to be the Dread Pirate Roberts(who shows no mercy and takes no prisoners!) moving towards you without walking forward(the huge flaming man drawing the eye away what he's standing on) would be a terrifying sight... But if it hadn't worked, then that would have been it.

Dienekes
2021-06-03, 06:52 PM
]
Westley is probably a Pirate Swashbuckler Rogue

There's a little of that in there, yeah. But he's probably some multiclass Rogue/Fighter with some odd feat choices. In the book it's mentioned that Inigo is a better swordsman than him, but his mastery of the terrain is what gives him the victory. In the same way Fezzik is trained for dealing with crowds which makes him somewhat bad at dealing with a one on one fight, despite his obvious physical superiority.

Inigo a Battlemaster Fighter.

Without question.

Fezzik is maybe a Goliath Barbarian Grappler or a Rune Knight? I don't know.

So, Fezzik doesn't actually ever go into a Rage. What we know about him is he's a friendly level-headed bloke. Who generally prefers not fighting, but is mostly trained around fighting groups rather than individuals. Honestly, he might just be a Champion Fighter with Unarmed Fighting style. I don't know how to get the "better at crowds than single combat" thing though. I don't know if 5e really covers that for unarmed fighting.

Vizzini's a Mastermind Rogue, for the record.

Humperdink is probably also a Battlemaster Fighter, only one also focused on grappling in the book. In the movie, I don't know. Perhaps a 1 Rogue/1 Fighter/1 Ranger that just heavily focused into tracking and survival, got the proficiencies from Fighter but little else.

Danielqueue1
2021-06-03, 07:06 PM
Wesley: bard with expertise in athletics (out grapples a stronger opponent) and intimidation (to the pain). Lesser restoration as a known spell. (they were both poisoned) probably swords or valor, but I could see cutting words or vicious mockery playing a hand in the duel with Inigo.

Fezik: Barbarian, take your pick. I would go bear totem.

Inigo: is tricky. Vengeance paladin is flavorful and his recovery in the fight with the six fingered man could be flavored as lay on hands targetting himself.

Buttercup: I'm going to agree with another poster. Divine soul sorcerer focusing on buff spells stuck without an arcane focus or who doesn't discover their talent until after the events of the movie.

Lord Vukodlak
2021-06-03, 08:05 PM
TBH, it sounds like you're saying "Bard" with a bunch of other words.

Bard has to much offensive punch.

KorvinStarmast
2021-06-03, 09:24 PM
Goliath Barbarian, background Entertainer
Swashbuckler, background Local Hero or Sailor
Battle Master (Dueling Fighting style), background Soldier
Divine Soul sorceress, Background Noble

Witty Username
2021-06-03, 09:26 PM
I would say that Inigo may have a level in barbarian, and the rest in fighter or rogue depending on how you look at his fencing.
But, this is mostly because I think Inigo is the gold standard of what a barbarian rage should look like.

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-04, 10:43 AM
Bard has to much offensive punch.

I think that is the first time anyone has ever said that Bard's deal too much damage.

Not saying your solution is wrong or anything, it's just a really funny thing to think about.

ad_hoc
2021-06-04, 03:13 PM
Inigo is a vengeance paladin. His oath of vengeance is everything for him.

He recites his oath to strike fear into his enemy.

He uses divine sense to find the pit of despair.

He uses lay on hands when he is injured by a dagger.