PDA

View Full Version : AD&D Style Character Creation with Gestalt Multiclassing Feedback

dmhelp
2021-06-03, 05:19 PM
Ok, I think I finally have a stable rule set for my gestalt multiclassing campaigns. It seeks to emulate AD&D style character creation in the following ways:
1. Your stat rolls (combined with your race/class choices) determine your character uniqueness. No feats or ASIs.
2. Everyone can have super saves at high level. HP gain flattens after “name level”, reducing “HP bloat”.
3. The Elven Fighter/Magic-User exists. The AD&D subclass (Paladin, Ranger, and in spirit, Monk) that gets most everything the main class gets (but with slower advancement) can be simulated thru a Fighter/Paladin, Fighter/Ranger, or Monk/Rogue. Single classed (or standard multiclassed) casters are still viable due to faster advancement. AD&D Unearthed Arcana added weapon spec to single classed Fighters so they also get a single classed bonus (since otherwise that Archetype doesn’t really exist or for people that want to play a simple character without a plethora of powers).
4. Rangers rule again against evil humanoids/giants.
5. The one summon limit isn’t an AD&D rule. It is just to limit caster overpoweredness/promote teamwork/class balance.

I don’t mind that gestalt (AD&D style multiclassed) characters are a little over powered. I prefer the simplicity and the rules I use limit the power of certain combinations (e.g. Sorcerer action economy). If someone wants to play a standard Wiz X/Life 1 with faster advancement (more powerful spells) they are free to. I prefer a lot of things in 5e over AD&D which is why I don't play AD&D anymore!

----
Character Creation
• Roll 4d6s (until >= 75 total), but with max 19 for abilities (except max 18 for Half-Elves) after standard racial mods; Human PCs may distribute their 6 ability points as desired up to 18 max for any given ability (e.g. +5 str & +1 con); Dragonborn gain two +2s chosen from str/con/cha; odd abilities gain +1 to ability checks (e.g. 19 int gives +4 int saves, but +5 to history checks, etc.)
• No feats & mostly PHB (races/subclasses from MTF/VGM/XGE are ok)

Character Advancement
• ASIs instead grant (i.e. no stat increases) a new saving throw proficiency (Monk 16 grants an ASI instead of all saves), +2 damage with a particular weapon type (or unarmed strikes), or +4 damage with a particular leveled spell once per turn (e.g. chromatic orb); weapon/spell selections may be changed every level
• After character level 10 only gain 1 hp/level or 3 hp/level for Extra Attack classes (and no further con bonuses for anyone)

AD&D (“Gestalt”) Multiclassing
• AD&D multiclassing allowed at 1st level with two fixed classes that gain xp at half rate, no ability score minimums, avg hit dice rounded up to nearest standard die size, armor/weapons/tools stack, saving throws/starting equipment from one class only, gain the higher number of skills (chosen from between both classes), use the most favorable class for Spellcasting spell slot progression (i.e. spell slots do not stack), Warlocks combined with any spellcaster gain full caster progression instead of Pact Magic/Mystic Arcanums, Sorcerers may not choose Quickened Spell, ASIs gained on the same level don't stack, and Extra Attacks don't stack
E.g. a level 9 Arcane Trickster Rogue/Evocation Wizard would have received 96,000 xp (instead of 48,000, so single classed characters in the group would probably be level 11), have the class features of a level 9 Rogue and a level 9 Wizard, have a +4 proficiency bonus, gain 5 hp/level (d8), start with 6 skills (with background), choose either dex/int or int/wis saving throws (plus can gain 2 more from ASIs @ 4 & 8), have light armor/Rogue weapons, and have the spell slots of a level 9 caster (4 3 3 3 1). A level 9 Arcane Trickster Rogue/Hexblade Warlock would have the same 4 3 3 3 1 spell slots without any pact slots. A level 9 Barbarian/Warlock would have pact slots.

Class/Subclass Boosts
• Single classed Fighters (benefit lost if later multiclassed, e.g. Fighter 11/Rogue 1) gain third attack @ level 8 & fourth @ 11
• Rangers (except Gloom Stalkers) add half level to melee weapon damage (e.g. +5 @ levels 10-11) against evil giant/humanoid races (e.g. duergar, orcs, trolls, etc.)
• Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer variant Elemental Affinity option - damage bonus changed to add cha mod in draconic ancestry damage to one damage roll per turn

Summon Change
• Simulacrum is an NPC only spell & players are limited to only one "summoned creature" at a time (i.e. animate/conjure/create spells; e.g. animate dead, animate objects, etc.), but class features can go beyond this limit (e.g. a level 14 Necromancy Wizard could have one skeleton [Undead Thralls], one planar bound elemental [standard one summon], and one mummy [Command Undead])