PDA

View Full Version : Retraining a creatures HD into class levels? How?

eyebreaker7
2021-06-04, 03:28 AM
Some of you have mentioned how to do it but I don't remember. I'm wanting to take a Scorpionfolk and turn his 12 HD and turn them into class levels if possible. Make him a druid/ranger.

ShurikVch
2021-06-04, 05:07 AM
Firstly: how about to just play Tauric Creature with Large Monstrous Scorpion? It's not only have lower HD (5 + Humanoid's HD), but LA too (Scorpionfolk - LA +4; Tauric Creature - LA +3)

The easiest way: to die and resurrect 11 times

Possibility: Petitioner template (without Planar Commitment) cuts your HD to just 2 (you will also lose your daily SLA, but get some immunities and resistances as compensation)

Anthrowhale
2021-06-04, 05:29 AM
You can also spend some time with a level draining undead and voluntarily fail the saves for permanent level drain.

ShurikVch
2021-06-04, 05:55 AM
You can also spend some time with a level draining undead and voluntarily fail the saves for permanent level drain.
It's possible
But, at some tables, DM would force you to regain your racial HD at level ups
Meanwhile, Raise Dead (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm) says:

This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.

Anthrowhale
2021-06-04, 07:12 AM
It's possible
But, at some tables, DM would force you to regain your racial HD at level ups
Meanwhile, Raise Dead (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm) says:

Hmm, I had always assumed that "repaired" here ruled out a restoration approach rather than a gaining-xp approach. If it rules out gaining xp, then in a 10 level wizard dies and is resurrected, can they never gain the 10th level of wizard again?

ShurikVch
2021-06-04, 07:26 AM
Hmm, I had always assumed that "repaired" here ruled out a restoration approach rather than a gaining-xp approach. If it rules out gaining xp, then in a 10 level wizard dies and is resurrected, can they never gain the 10th level of wizard again?
IMHO, it's would be not so much "repair" as "gaining anew" - not so different from a Wizard who never was 10th-level to begin with
Scorpionfolk have "Advancement: By character class" - thus, wouldn't gain more racial HD once their "original ones" are lost

Anthrowhale
2021-06-04, 07:38 AM
IMHO, it's would be not so much "repair" as "gaining anew" - not so different from a Wizard who never was 10th-level to begin with

So, if the raise dead text doesn't apply to 'gain anew', it seems like raise dead and level drain operate the same way?

Scorpionfolk have "Advancement: By character class" - thus, wouldn't gain more racial HD once their "original ones" are lost

That makes sense.

eyebreaker7
2021-06-04, 11:07 AM
I thought someone on here (maybe more than one of you) said something about retraining monster HD into levels using a though vial or something?