PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Mind Sorcerer - Twice as Many Casting?

carrdrivesyou
2021-06-04, 12:43 PM
So according to the Psionic Sorcery ability, the caster can cast the spell as normal or spend sorcery points equal to the spell level to cast it. If they use the points, it is effectively a subtle spell.

My question is this: Am I right in thinking that I could convert one 1st level spell slot into 2 sorcery points, then cast two first level spells using a single sorcery point each (not in the same action, obviously)?

MaxWilson
2021-06-04, 12:46 PM
So according to the Psionic Sorcery ability, the caster can cast the spell as normal or spend sorcery points equal to the spell level to cast it. If they use the points, it is effectively a subtle spell.

My question is this: Am I right in thinking that I could convert one 1st level spell slot into 2 sorcery points, then cast two first level spells using a single sorcery point each (not in the same action, obviously)?

No, you can only convert one 1st level slot into 1 sorcery point, not 2, per PHB rules for sorcerers.

Mastikator
2021-06-04, 12:49 PM
A sorcerer can convert 2 sorcery points into 1 level 1 spell slot. Or gain 1 sorcery point from 1 level 1 spell slot. You gain sorcery points equal to spell level

Converting a Spell Slot to Sorcery Points. As a bonus action on your turn, you can expend one spell slot and gain a number of sorcery points equal to the slot's level.

Creating Spell Slots. You can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action on your turn. The Creating Spell Slots table shows the cost of creating a spell slot of a given level. You can create spell slots no higher in level than 5th. The created spell slots vanish at the end of a long rest.

You are right that Abberant Mind can use Psionic Sorcery to spend a bonus action to convert a spell slot into a set of sorcery points, then use those sorcery points to cast a spell without verbal or somatic components. (basically a "free" Subtle Spell metamagic effect)

Segev
2021-06-04, 12:49 PM
Yeah, what the Aberrant Mind can do is more efficiently use SP to cast spells, not more efficiently convert spells into SP.

Ettina
2021-06-04, 01:23 PM
They do, however, get more spells from the sorcery points they gain from a long rest. A regular 6th level sorcerer, if they exclusively use sorcery points to cast 1st level spells, gets three extra first level spells, whereas an aberrant mind sorcerer gets six.

borg286
2021-06-06, 11:09 AM
The way that helped me see the best route to effeciently casting spells was to look at it through the lens of the variant system of spell points. How many spell points does it cost to cast a 1st level spell? 2. What if I were to convert a 1st level slot into 1 spell point then using psionic sorcery cast it? 2 spell points, a wash. We see the same thing with every level and may come to the conclusion that is is either a wash or somehow designed fair.

But if we use 3 spell points to make a 2nd level spell, convert it to 2 spell points and then cast 2 1st level spells with it(something that would have cost 4 spell points), then we find we have come out ahead. Using 3rd level spells is less effecient, same with 4th level spells, but 5th edges out 2nd level spells by a tad.

Thus if your dm denies your request to use spell points then sack your 2nd spell slots and channel those points through psionic 1st level spells.