PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Things Psionic Artificers can't do

Morphic tide
2021-06-04, 04:01 PM
I'm looking to cram out the "bare necessities" to get Psionic Artificers as a truly distinct class with approximately similar capabilities to Artificer, and the one big thing I have zero clue how to do in a timely manner is work out what all utility effects Artificers can pull out of Infusions and their Crafting ability that lack a counterpart in specifically-Psionic items, so I know what I'll need to make items for. The main things that lack a counterpart to my SRD check are the following:

Wings of Flying (best bet is Psychoactive Skin of Proteus)
Ring of Protection (Psychoactive Skin of the Hero gives a fixed +3 Deflection)
Necklace of Natural Armor (Psychoactive Skin of the Defender gives a fixed +4)
Ability enhancers (wholly reliant on the ad-hoc transparency guideline)
Boots/Helm of Teleportation (again wholly reliant on transparency)
Manuals/Tomes (Reality Revision/Wish transparency)

But there's doubtlessly plenty of high-value items I can't think of off the top of my head (I'm specifically leaving out cheesemonger tools like Thought Bottle), and there's definitely some that don't have clear counterpart Powers.

Troacctid
2021-06-04, 04:18 PM
All of those can be crafted as psionic items using the equivalent psionic power.

There are definitely items that psionic artificers can't easily craft, but IMO the bigger concern is that they lose spell-storing item and replace it with a much worse version.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-06-04, 04:24 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the MIC specifically says that you can make psionic versions of magic items if you have an appropriate crafting feat and an appropriate substitution power that is similar to the spell if you squint a bit -- or one that at least makes sense for the item's effects.

So there's not a whole lot that psionics can't do, especially with the whole CStP erudite thing.

Morphic tide
2021-06-04, 05:16 PM
I know about the transparency rule, and mention such:

that lack a counterpart in specifically-Psionic items

Ability enhancers (wholly reliant on the ad-hoc transparency guideline)

My question is in what major items require this, so that I can make what are in fact specifically-Psionic versions of "must have" effects like these, respecting the differences of how Psionics tends to handle various functions to make it so a Psionic crafter doesn't need to ever directly ape the normal-Magic items.