PDA

View Full Version : class suggestions for a shonen character

Skrum
2021-06-04, 08:01 PM
I'm developing an idea for a new character and since I'm not hugely familiar with 5th, would like some suggestions. I want to make a tongue-in-cheek shonen character; someone with flashy moves that I can name and they will shout out when they use them.

Before it gets suggested, I don't love the monk (too MAD)....and also too obvious to the character concept. I already have a battle master fighter, so I'd like to avoid that as well. The character will start at 3rd and is unlikely to go beyond 6th.

quindraco
2021-06-04, 08:22 PM
I'm developing an idea for a new character and since I'm not hugely familiar with 5th, would like some suggestions. I want to make a tongue-in-cheek shonen character; someone with flashy moves that I can name and they will shout out when they use them.

Before it gets suggested, I don't love the monk (too MAD)....and also too obvious to the character concept. I already have a battle master fighter, so I'd like to avoid that as well. The character will start at 3rd and is unlikely to go beyond 6th.

The obvious answer is literally any spellcaster, and leaning into spells with a V component. Without more information on your concept, I'm not sure what to add to that, but I suppose Warlock is the low-hanging fruit for being able to do your flashy moves all day long.

Limited Gish
2021-06-04, 08:22 PM
Paladin. Smite spells become your flashy signature moves. Buffs and heals are your inspirational monologues and powering up. Still MAD tho.

Hexblade also works a similar way, but has fewer big flashy moves per fight.

Higher level builds I’d suggest Paladin with hexblade dip to reduce MADness.

Relbin
2021-06-04, 08:23 PM
Battlemaster fighter might work for you. You get maneuvers that you can flavor as your called skills.

loki_ragnarock
2021-06-04, 08:24 PM
Sorcerer. Electricity theme.

You use shocking grasp to "punch." You "flurry of blows" with twinned spell and quicken spell on shocking grasp.

You don't have "Spells" you have "secret technique" or "Jutsu" or "stances."

Take lightning themed spells. Thunderstep. Lightningbolt. Misty step for blurring speed.

That kind of thing.

Sorcerer gets you your shonen.

EDIT:
It's required that you shout the name of whatever technique. This doesn't have to be the name of the spell, but you have to shout *something*.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-06-04, 08:34 PM
Paladin, Oath of Vengeance, Polearm Master, Greatweapon Master. Name your bonus action attack, name your greatweapon master attack, name your smite, and if you get any spells that smite name those, too. Be sure to use Haste once you get it.

If you're worried about being MAD, a Hexblade/Paladin/Sorcerer is a pretty strong Cha-SAD sword-and-board build.

Skrum
2021-06-04, 08:47 PM
Sorcerer. Electricity theme.

I was leaning in this direction. Storm sorc only seems to have one good ability though, tempestuous magic. It is really good though.

loki_ragnarock
2021-06-04, 08:57 PM
I was leaning in this direction. Storm sorc only seems to have one good ability though, tempestuous magic. It is really good though.

Nah, Blue Draconic background.

Unarmored AC is good; refluff it as being fast like lightning instead of scales.

Bonus to electricity damage is good.

Just a better package for a shonen.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-06-04, 09:32 PM
Paladin. Smite spells become your flashy signature moves. Buffs and heals are your inspirational monologues and powering up.
Agreed. Paladin also fits pretty well conceptually. Valor or Swords Bard aren't bad either, depending on if you want to focus more on inspiring others or using your own super-moves.

Rogue might be a little weirder, but Mastermind's ranged help action is good for the mid-battle inspiring speech trope, and your sneak attack damage could very easily be refluffed as bonus damage from your super move.

Going further afield, the Warlord in my Grimoire of the Grotesque would also be appropriate-- they get auras that buff the whole party and bonus-action inspirational shouts.