PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4e Channel Divinity Options for a setting using the Greek Pantheon

sandmote
2021-06-04, 08:30 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/WBJg7C6vcrPH)

I'm starting homebrewing for D&D 4e, and figured I should start by getting a new pantheon in place. As such, I've slotted most of the Channel Divinity feats from the Player's Handbook 1 to major greek gods, and written a few additional options for the remaining ones.

Armor of Bahamut is now Armor of Hephaestus, given it works like Adamantine armor.
Avandra’s Rescue is now Tactics of Athena.
Corellon’s Grace is now Hermes' Speed.
Harmony of Erathis is now Hunt of Artemis.
Ioun’s Poise is now Hera's Autonomy.
Kord’s Favor is now Ares' Delight.
Melora's Tide is now Hearth of Hestia.
Pelor's Radiance is now Call of Hades, as I suspect he'd be a particular opponent to undead.
Raven Queen's Blessing is now Persephone's Grace.
Moradin's Resolve and Sehanine’s Reversal have been dropped, although I actually like the former quite a bit.

For the new powers, prerequisites and benefits work the same as usual. Listing them:

Channel Divinity: Demeter's Growth Feat Power
The harvest mother's yearly cycle of mirth and anguish plays out in miniature before your foe's very eyes.
Encounter ♦ Divine
Minor Action ♦ Close Burst 2
Effect: Spaces of your choice within range turn to difficult terrain as new growth burst through the ground, withering away to nothing at the end of your next turn. You and one ally within range gain the Forest Walk trait until the end of your next turn.
Special: You must take the Demeter's Growth feat to use this power.

Channel Divinity: Dionysus' Inebriation Feat Power
Your enemies' minds loosen, weakening their ability to react and recall.
Encounter ♦ Divine
Minor Action ♦ Close Blast 3
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target takes a -2 penalty to their Reflex defense, Will defense and skill checks made using Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma before the end of your next turn.
Special: You must take the Dionysus' Inebriation feat to use this power.

Channel Divinity: Exhilaration of Aphrodite Feat Power
You stir love in your ally, bringing them to greater heights of power.
Encounter ♦ Divine, Charm
Minor Action ♦ Close Burst 5
Target: One ally within range
Effect: The ally apply can apply your Wisdom modifier as extra damage on its next attack before the start of its next turn.
Special: You must take the Exhilaration of Aphrodite feat to use this power

Channel Divinity: Melody of Apollo Feat Power
Your music relieves and inspires those around you.
Encounter ♦ Divine, Charm
Minor Action ♦ Close Burst 10
Target: One creature within burst.
Effect: The creature gains a +2 bonus to saving throws and skill checks made before the end of your next turn.
Special: You must take the Melody of Apollo feat to use this power

Channel Divinity: Quake of Poseidon Feat Power
The power of the earth shaker keeps your enemies at bay
Encounter ♦ Divine
Move Action ♦ Close Burst 1

(3 at 11th level, 5 at 21st level)
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target is pushed 2 squares
Special: You must take the Quake of Poseidon feat to use this power.

Channel Divinity: Zeus' Punishment Feat Power
As you are harmed, lightning smites your aggressor.
Encounter ♦ Divine, Lightning
Immediate Reaction ♦ Ranged 10
Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack of opportunity or a critical hit.
Target: The triggering enemy.
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier lighting damage.
Increase damage to 2d8 at 5th level, 3d8 at 11th, 4d8 at 15th, 5d8 at 21st, and 6d8 at 25th
Special: You must take the Zeus' Punishment feat to use this power

I'm hoping these aren't too powerful, but I fully accept I don't have enough experience writing 4e to tell easily. Of particular concern I'm worried that Dionysus' Inebriation and Melody of Apollo are too flexible, That Quake of Poseidon hit too many targets, and that Zeus' Punishment is too efficient.

werescythe
2021-06-06, 03:44 PM
Personally I think you might be overthinking it a little as the domains are broad and could probably apply to all the Greek gods as seen for the Greek pantheon on page 298 of the Player's Handbook... However...

If you want to give your player's additional options for their channel divinity based off of the Greek god they serve then go for it. Don't let me stop you. :smallsmile:

I just think you might wear yourself out if you create a channel divinity for every single deity in the Greek pantheon. Personally I would just try to find more domains to give your players options for.

sandmote
2021-06-08, 12:36 AM
Personally I think you might be overthinking it a little as the domains are broad and could probably apply to all the Greek gods as seen for the Greek pantheon on page 298 of the Player's Handbook... However... This is homebrew for 4e, not for 5e. 4e locks god-specific channel divinity options behind a feat; the bulleted list is me recycling published feats for faerunian gods.

I just think you might wear yourself out if you create a channel divinity for every single deity in the Greek pantheon. Personally I would just try to find more domains to give your players options for. I think 13 of the "12 Olympians," plus Hades and Persephone cover most of my bases, given how 4e works. I suppose there could be clerics of some surviving Titans or Primordials (meaning the pre-Olympian generations of gods), but I want to start with the 15 biggest names when running a greek setting.

werescythe
2021-06-08, 10:04 PM
This is homebrew for 4e, not for 5e. 4e locks god-specific channel divinity options behind a feat; the bulleted list is me recycling published feats for faerunian gods.

Oh, sorry. I thought this was for 5e for some reason. Lol.