PDA

View Full Version : What happens to vampire spawn when their controller dies for good?

eyebreaker7
2021-06-05, 12:01 AM
1: Do the spawns become free and now they are full vampires?

2: If a kid is turned into a vampire spawn, will he still age and/or mature mentally? Physically no.

Telonius
2021-06-05, 01:45 AM
1: Kind of:

In either case, the new vampire or spawn is under the command of the vampire that created it and remains enslaved until its master’s destruction.

The "Vampire Spawn" creature entry and the "Vampire" creature entry have several differences; spawn don't have all of the same abilities that regular Vampires do, and some of the bonuses are halved. The rules don't outright say that the stats improve to the full version if the master is destroyed; so, RAW, it would just be a "free" vampire spawn, with no change in stats. But personally I'd rule that the stats change.

2: Kind of a DM call, since stats for children are a really sticky point in the rules. (There are a lot of homebrew "child" templates, but the game doesn't generally deal with it). But, if you want to pull a Lestat and create a "child" vampire spawn, it would (by RAW) get exactly the same stat adjustments that an adult version would: Str +6, Dex +4, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.

What happens after that is up to how you RP it. There is technically an "Evolved Undead" template that improves Charisma and Strength for exceptionally old undead, but that's usually going to be outside the scope of what a PC has access to.

eyebreaker7
2021-06-05, 02:49 AM
Since vampires don't age, would the child continue to grow and mature? I forget which movie it was but they had a young kid, probably around 12-13, that was a vampire and he stopped growing but his age matured just as if he did age & grow. I think he even made a comment about not being able to have sex. Poor kid.
So my take from that movie is that one option is that the kid stops growing but continues to mature??? Or does his maturity stop "aging" also?

Beni-Kujaku
2021-06-05, 03:44 AM
Since vampires don't age, would the child continue to grow and mature? I forget which movie it was but they had a young kid, probably around 12-13, that was a vampire and he stopped growing but his age matured just as if he did age & grow. I think he even made a comment about not being able to have sex. Poor kid.
So my take from that movie is that one option is that the kid stops growing but continues to mature??? Or does his maturity stop "aging" also?

He does mature in that he gains experience (not xp‚ real experience) and understands the world more and more‚ as anybody does. But without the organs for that‚ he wouldn't go through puberty‚ and keep a childish voice and no sexual desire. He would be akin to a castrato‚ who of course make functioning and mature adults in a society.

Thurbane
2021-06-05, 07:43 AM

Near Dark/Interview With the Vampire?

eyebreaker7
2021-06-05, 09:37 AM
I've never heard of "Near Dark" but I did watch "Interview with a vampire" ages ago so it's probably that movie.

Thurbane
2021-06-05, 03:47 PM
I've never heard of "Near Dark" but I did watch "Interview with a vampire" ages ago so it's probably that movie.

It's a bit dated now, but Near Dark (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093605/) has a boy-vampire (Homer) who gives a bit of a speech on how hard it is being trapped as a child for hundreds of years and not able to reach physical maturity.

I've never read the books, but Interview With The Vampire touches on the same topic with the character Claudia in the movie. My wife is a fan of the books - I believe they go into more depth on the matter.