PDA

View Full Version : Food How to Cook Perch?

Palanan
2021-06-05, 11:49 AM
I grabbed some perch on a whim, but never actually cooked it before.

So, any perch-cooking advice? Not sure whether to bake or pan-fry.

halfeye
2021-06-05, 01:05 PM
I grabbed some perch on a whim, but never actually cooked it before.

So, any perch-cooking advice? Not sure whether to bake or pan-fry.

How much? and which Perch? I never cooked any myself, but why would it be different from other fish?

Imbalance
2021-06-05, 01:09 PM
Pretty much the same as bass, IME, except they're not as much fun to reel in. Grease up your skillet.

Palanan
2021-06-05, 01:30 PM
Never cooked bass, either. A few more details would be welcome.

:smallsmile:

Manga Shoggoth
2021-06-05, 06:57 PM
When I did it (many years ago, when I still fished) I cleaned the perch (obviously...) and then opened the perch out and grilled it skin-side down, basted with butter.

Imbalance
2021-06-06, 06:34 AM
Never cooked bass, either. A few more details would be welcome.

:smallsmile:

I'm no chef, pretty sure you could Google exact instructions on whatever farm raised store bought fish you have, make sure it's thawed. For me, it's not much different than frying an egg. Most fish gets flaky when it's done, slightly undercooked isn't a huge deal, overcooked ruins flavor, either way you're probably picking bones. It's literally as simple as grabbing a skillet that all of the fish can fit in, a pat of butter or some olive oil to coat the pan, medium-ish heat, skin down, sizzle until flaky, salt and pepper and whatever else to taste. Fun to catch, often pricey to buy, but one of the most basic meats to prepare, even at my modest cooking skill level I don't think I've ever made inedible fish. Have fun.

Palanan
2021-06-06, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Imbalance
...even at my modest cooking skill level I don't think I've ever made inedible fish.

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. Clearly you're a much better cook than I am, since I've ruined more fish than I care to think on. Primarily salmon, which I can't seem to get right no matter what I do. Here's hoping perch is more forgiving.

Imbalance
2021-06-06, 08:33 AM
Cooking is a progressive thing, like skateboarding. You just have to do it to get better at it, and you have to get confident with the basics before you can nail the tricks.

tyckspoon
2021-06-09, 08:34 PM
Okay, thanks for the suggestions. Clearly you're a much better cook than I am, since I've ruined more fish than I care to think on. Primarily salmon, which I can't seem to get right no matter what I do. Here's hoping perch is more forgiving.

Salmon's one of those things that has a fairly slim margin between 'done' and 'overdone'.. although personally I find it's still pretty edible at 'overdone', especially topped with a nice squeeze of lemon and/or butter that both helps enhance the flavor and covers for some of the moisture and smooth fatty texture that gets cooked out when you let it go too long.

Have you tried it with something to shield it from direct heat? Baking in a parchment bag or foil packet, or grilling in foil? Keeping fish covered away from direct exposure to the cooking heat does a lot to keep the natural moisture and texture of it intact, and should be a lot more forgiving of leaving it in the heat too long.