PDA

View Full Version : Level 8 Ancestral Guardian Hill Dwarf feat

Ir0ns0ul
2021-06-05, 06:10 PM
Hey friends, hope everyone is safe!

My Hill Dwarf Ancestral Guardian Barbarian reached level 8 and I don’t know which feat to pick or if I go ASI. I took Resilient: Wisdom at level 4 and my current ability scores are STR 18, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8. TCoE custom stats and more generous stats-array allocation by our DM.

I’m analyzing Alert (to really ensure initiative), Tough (to improve even more my HP) or maybe +2 CON.

I’m not considering PAM and GWM mainly because DPR is not an issue, I don’t want to outshine our Fighter striker and I’m envisioning this character using iconic dwarven weapons like hammers and axes. Of course I don’t want to be suboptimal in damage, so he is currently wielding a Maul +1. Primary job is tank, debuff BBEGs and protect allies. I pretend to shove and/or grapple a lot.

Is there any missing spot or bad decision?

Lord Ruby34
2021-06-05, 06:26 PM
I'd actually suggest shield master. Most iconic dwarven weapons are one handed, and shield master would also let you attack at advantage without recklessly attacking. That makes you harder to hit, and better able to do your primary job of shrugging off blows.

Additionally, your rage gives you advantage on attempts to knock someone prone, and any other melee attacks from your team will also be at advantage.

I don't know if it's the most optimal choice, but I'd hope it would be a fun one.

Otherwise, I'd suggest +2 strength. Hitting more without having to reckless attack is nice.

DragonBaneDM
2021-06-05, 06:28 PM
I'm just a big old fan of Sentinel, especially since it plays to the Ancestral Guardian wheelhouse of being the active Defender of the group.

I realize it's going to compete for your reaction with Spirit Shield, but if you're seeing opportunities where you're within 5 feet more often, that might be fun!

Otherwise I like Alert!

Ir0ns0ul
2021-06-06, 07:03 AM
Hey guys, thanks very much for the replies.

I have not considered Shield Master, but it’s definitely a great suggestion! Thanks!

I thought about Sentinel, but I think the reaction overlap will make this feat situational at best, but thanks for your insights!

KorvinStarmast
2021-06-06, 01:04 PM
I suggest Alert. It is an under appreciated feat, I think.

+5 to initiative means you get to go first more often and that means your rage is already up most of the time when enemy attacks come in.

Can't be surprised is handy at every point of the game, though how often surprise happens is a bit DM dependent.

In The later game with hidden and invisible attackers the other benefits start to crop up very handily.

I'll recommend Alert based on what I've see in play with that feat.

nathanv
2021-06-06, 02:33 PM
Mobile might be an interesting option for kiting melees. Might not hold up by lvl 20. Alert is underappreciated, but I think it's a bit redundant with Barbarian Feral Instinct.

Ir0ns0ul
2021-06-06, 04:23 PM
Mobile might be an interesting option for kiting melees. Might not hold up by lvl 20. Alert is underappreciated, but I think it's a bit redundant with Barbarian Feral Instinct.

Agreed! I do love Alert and alongside Resilient, is one of the must have feats I always try to get in my builds, but the overlap with Feral Instinct sounds too much, hence I started looking into Tough — a feat that I barely remember it exists.

loki_ragnarock
2021-06-06, 05:19 PM
I'd second Shield Master.

I'd add:
Dwarf use Hammer = Crusher. Attacking lets you push people around. Reckless attacking also lets you push people around, but might also grant everyone advantage to hit the target if you crit.

Dwarf use Axe = Slasher. Attacking lets you reduce target's move speed. Reckless attacking also lets you reduce target's move speed, but might also grant target disadvantage to hit if you crit it.

EDIT
Both are basically tanky/battlefield controlly.

Ir0ns0ul
2021-06-07, 08:14 AM
I'd second Shield Master.

I'd add:
Dwarf use Hammer = Crusher. Attacking lets you push people around. Reckless attacking also lets you push people around, but might also grant everyone advantage to hit the target if you crit.

Dwarf use Axe = Slasher. Attacking lets you reduce target's move speed. Reckless attacking also lets you reduce target's move speed, but might also grant target disadvantage to hit if you crit it.

EDIT
Both are basically tanky/battlefield controlly.

Thanks for your inputs. I agree that the beautiful combination of Danger Sense + Shield Master is too good to be true.

I have strongly considered Crusher (not Slasher, it’s meh), but since both my STR and CON are already even, I think it would be a waste of half-feat. If I was using regular point-buy, I’d definitely sneeze Crusher in my build.