PDA

View Full Version : Warlock's children

Ettina
2021-06-06, 08:24 AM
Do you imagine the children of warlocks being different because of their parent's pact? I've always figured that fiendlocks are significantly more likely to have tiefling children - in fact, our Descent into Avernus campaign has a tiefling daughter of a major NPC as a PC because of his pact with Zariel that doomed Elturel. Similarly, kids of celestial warlocks are more likely to be aasimar and/or divine soul sorcerers, kids of feylocks are more likely to have the feytouched feat, etc.

I feel like it's got good roleplay potential. The reason tiefling kids are more often abandoned or treated poorly is because their appearance advertises what is likely to be a dirty secret for their parents. Meanwhile, an aasimar or divine soul child reflects that their parent is likely to have cooperated with good beings. Of course, these traits also crop up spontaneously or due to other factors, so you don't know for sure why they had a tiefling or aasimar kid, but it's enough that stereotypes form and are acted upon.

Anonymouswizard
2021-06-06, 09:09 AM
I don't know what lore 5e uses, but I still stuck with the old fluff for Tieflings/Aasimar for my settings. You're a Planetouched because there's an outsider in your recent ancestry. Being a Warlock doesn't inherently change your family tree, but that's not too say that the children of warlocks are never Tieflings, Aasimar, or Genasi. It's just generally going to be for more natural reasons.

In fact, in one D&D setting I'm designing the only casters are Warlocks* (yeah, that leaves you with less than half of the 5e classes, but it's intentional). The upper classes have a lot of Genasi, and tend towards Genie pacts over other varieties. But the two aren't actually linked beyond them both coming from a relatively good relationship with genies.

* It also limits racial choices to humans and Planetouched. For reasons.

Forevaxp
2021-06-06, 10:20 AM
I like this idea personally, and I would say that it is probably uncommon but not unheard of for kids of Warlocks to be to be touched by the patrons of their parents. Of course, this depends on the nature of the patron and the type of pact that was forged.

Calthropstu
2021-06-06, 10:32 AM
What happens if a rogue comes along with a lockpick to unlock what warlocks?

togapika
2021-06-06, 10:46 AM
I like this idea personally, and I would say that it is probably uncommon but not unheard of for kids of Warlocks to be to be touched by the patrons of their parents. Of course, this depends on the nature of the patron and the type of pact that was forged.

I made a pact with Mechanus, and now my son is a Warforged!

Millstone85
2021-06-06, 12:34 PM
I made a pact with Mechanus, and now my son is a Warforged!And/or a clockwork soul sorcerer.