PDA

View Full Version : Co-op RPG's

Renloth
2007-11-12, 10:04 PM
Anyone know of some good ones?

I'm just interested, since myself and several friends started to play "Tales of the Abyss" for the PS2 a little while ago. It's quite fun to play something tactical together, and I just want to see if there is anything else worth looking at.

My second question is: How many people like Co-op RPG's?

mikeforte123
2007-11-12, 10:37 PM
well, there arent a lot co-op RPG's that i know, mostly all of them are only the "Tales of ..." saga, but there is also "The Lord of the Rings: The third Age" (not so good)

Prustan
2007-11-13, 04:00 AM
The only co-op part of Third Age is the battles, and who really wants to be sitting around waiting for that?
There is a really old co-op RPG that I recently got again, called Bloodwych. You'd need a program like DosBox to run it, but it's the first co-op RPG I ever heard of - though you do need to be careful not to attack the other party by 'mistake'. Takes a while though. The first copy I played was slightly corrupted - couldn't save - and me and my brother spent four (six?) hours seeing how far we could get before he got bored and got his party killed. Since he had the best stuff, I quickly followed. Think we got maybe quarter of the way through.

Ranis
2007-11-13, 10:33 AM
I LOVE Co-Op RPG's.

The entire Gauntlet series is very, very good, as well as the X-Men Legends series.

If you want to go more new-school, I would suggest Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and the newer game Eternal Sonata. Even though Eternal Sonata is the surrealistic imagination of some 1800's hippie, it's still an excellent co-op RPG.

I'll post more as I think of them.

Oh! And Dungeons and Dragons Heroes. That one was fun.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-13, 10:58 AM
Neverwinter Nights

there are some brilliantly designed multiplater modules out there...

Oeryn
2007-11-13, 05:46 PM
The Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath series (for the PS2) are pretty fun co-op games. There's not a whole lot "tactical" about them, really, but they're fun to play with friends.

Studoku
2007-11-13, 06:08 PM
The Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath series (for the PS2) are pretty fun co-op games. There's not a whole lot "tactical" about them, really, but they're fun to play with friends.
I agree about Baldurs Gate Dark alliance. It's a really fun game in co-op, although the first game is way better than the second.

The only problem is getting a copy since the game is no longer in print.:smallfrown:

2007-11-13, 11:47 PM
Every MMO on the market?

EDIT: And Diablo, of course.

Renloth
2007-11-14, 04:00 AM
Every MMO on the market?

EDIT: And Diablo, of course.

Nah, I can't count MMO's. What I would consider Co-op RPG's are games where three or four people can all sit down and play together. It's just not as much fun online.

I've been surfing for games, and a few of these have come up already, so I'll have to look back into the ones I haven't played yet. Neverwinter is always an option, but I didn't realize Eternal Sonata could be Co-op.

Ranis
2007-11-14, 07:03 AM
Yes, Eternal Sonata is somewhat....simplistic in plot, but you can get three people playing at the same time. Why they couldn't make it four I don't know, but I wish it was four instead of three. Regardless, it's a very nice game.

Oeryn
2007-11-14, 11:22 AM
I agree about Baldurs Gate Dark alliance. It's a really fun game in co-op, although the first game is way better than the second.

The only problem is getting a copy since the game is no longer in print.:smallfrown:

They have both Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, and Champions of Norrath 1 & 2 at my local GameStop. BG 2 IS out of print, and so it's expensive, even used, but you should be able to find it.

IMO, CoN is a little more versatile, because you can customize your character more. You don't have to pick from three characters, you actually get to pick class, race, sex, etc.

Like I said, it's not exactly deep gameplay, but it's a pretty decent experience, especially with 3 of your buddies.

Rogue 7
2007-11-14, 10:26 PM
Another reccomendation for Tales, even though I've only played Tales of Symphonia on the GC. Having a real-time combat system makes it bearable, I think.

Reinboom
2007-11-14, 10:36 PM
Seiken Densetsu 2 or 3 (Secret of Mana and "Holy Sword Legend 3"/"Secret of Mana 2")
Secret of Mana is for the SNES.

Also:
Amen to baldur's gate series.

Dumbledore lives
2007-11-14, 10:43 PM
I don't know but I quite like the X-men Legends series of games. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is basically a copy of Legends but with less RPG elements and more butt-kicking:smalltongue: