PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you have both spell absorbing ioun stones?

eyebreaker7
2021-06-07, 07:28 PM
If you have both of them active how do you determine which one absorbs spells 4th level and lower? Would you just burn up the Pale lavender one first or would you take the Lavender one first being the more powerful one? Or maybe roll at random each time it would come into a decision?

Pale lavender Ellipsoid Absorbs spells of 4th level or lower1
Lavender and green Ellipsoid Absorbs spells of 8th level or lower2

Biggus
2021-06-07, 09:48 PM
I don't know of any official rules on this point, but the FAQ says that "as a general guideline" you can apply things in the most beneficial order. I can't see any reason not to allow that in this case.

Tiktakkat
2021-06-08, 01:07 PM
You have to ready an action to use them, so it would be whichever one you had readied.

Biggus
2021-06-09, 08:03 AM
You have to ready an action to use them, so it would be whichever one you had readied.

Oh yeah. What he said.

eyebreaker7
2021-06-09, 10:51 AM
Why would you need to ready an action to use them? It says to just have them activated by having them swirl around your head. If you need to ready an action you would never use them.

Calthropstu
2021-06-09, 11:02 AM
Why would you need to ready an action to use them? It says to just have them activated by having them swirl around your head. If you need to ready an action you would never use them.

I don't see it either, but I don't have 3.5 books atm. So it could be in there?

Biggus
2021-06-09, 11:14 AM

Middle of the second paragraph "The pale lavender and lavender and green stones work like a rod of absorption, but absorbing a spell requires a readied action".

I agree it's totally stupid. I'd probably houserule away that requirement myself.

eyebreaker7
2021-06-09, 01:56 PM
I missed that part. And yes it's wasting time. Do I stand here and keep readying my action or attack/cast spells. Seems like a waste.

Tiktakkat
2021-06-09, 09:49 PM
I agree. And yet that is what it says. So the RAW answer remains "whichever one you ready".

Now if you slip some PFRPG into it and get a wayfinder and use the standard resonant powers which allows you to use those stones without a readied action, then one could always be ready and you could ready the other, say the higher level one, to absorb a 5th-8th level spell being cast and so a 1st-4th level spell would always be absorbed by the lower level one, but that still requires a constantly readied action.

Or you could Rule 0 that line and then I would probably go with what Biggus originally said about most favorable to the PC.