PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does anyone have a Homebrew that increases the damage of spells for spellcasters?

Dante & Vergil
2021-06-07, 08:59 PM
As the title suggests, I was wondering, for non-optimized spellcasters, if there was any homebrew out there that increased the damage of spells? I do know that there are builds for increasing spell damage, but it has been years since I've looked up that stuff, and wanted something that will help newish spellcasters out in this avenue.

Biggus
2021-06-07, 09:43 PM
If you want a moderate increase in damage, increase all the damage dice by one step (d4 to d6, d6 to d8 etc). There are only a very small number of spells with d12 damage dice, so not increasing those wouldn't upset the overall balance much at all.

If you want a big increase, double the damage dice (1d4 becomes 2d4, etc).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-06-07, 09:47 PM
You don't really need homebrew for this. Pick up a Lesser Rod of Maximize (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#metamagicRods) for your Fireball or similar.

Psyren
2021-06-07, 11:09 PM
The standard ways are CL-boosters and metamagic. Favored class bonuses also help if you're in PF.

If you still want homebrew, it might help to describe what the official options aren't doing that you want a bit more specifically. After all, homebrewing more damage is as easy as changing or adding dice, but it's of course very easy for doing that to unbalance the game.

Dante & Vergil
2021-06-08, 04:04 AM
All right, reading what I got here should be enough. Thanks!

RandomPeasant
2021-06-08, 06:29 AM
One thing you should definitely do is uncap the CL scaling of spells. It won't break the game (unless people are cheesing CL aggressively, in which case holy word already breaks the game more), and it gives damage-based casters a much needed boost to their sustainability.