PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Building a PC Golem

Master O'Laughs
2021-06-08, 08:12 AM
So I am gearing up for a new game with an experienced DM but all the other players will be completely new to D&D and RPGs, only having heard of it before.

I was thinking of being a Clay Golem from Jewish mythology that is primarily unarmed and uses improvised weapons.

As opposed to optimized, looking for more thematic suggestions, though if it is a great option and fits in theme, strong options are not a bad thing.

I was thinking Warforged Barbarian (either zealot, totem, or berserker).
Background seems a little trickier, thinking maybe Far Traveler or Folk Hero.

Feat ideas would be Tavern Brawler/Fighting Initiate (unarmed style).

Again, looking for more of a fun thematic build since the other players will be new and unoptimized.

EDIT: Just saw path of the juggernaut homebrew and think if allowed, that would be fun and thematic.

Hairfish
2021-06-08, 09:31 AM
If you're a being created/animated by divine magic, the acolyte background seems appropriate.

As for class, you might consider battle master with the unarmed fighting style. Use your maneuvers to support and defend party members and grapple & prone pesky targets so the rest of the party can wail on them. Mage Slayer for engaging heretical spellcasters, Skill Expert - Athletics for big grapple energy, Resilient - WIS, Tough (once CON is maxed out), Sentinel if no one else takes it.

quindraco
2021-06-08, 10:01 AM
So I am gearing up for a new game with an experienced DM but all the other players will be completely new to D&D and RPGs, only having heard of it before.

I was thinking of being a Clay Golem from Jewish mythology that is primarily unarmed and uses improvised weapons.

As opposed to optimized, looking for more thematic suggestions, though if it is a great option and fits in theme, strong options are not a bad thing.

Again, looking for more of a fun thematic build since the other players will be new and unoptimized.

EDIT: Just saw path of the juggernaut homebrew and think if allowed, that would be fun and thematic.

Zealot Barbarian is definitely the low-hanging fruit there. Your Shem makes it cheaper to res you, etc. However, I think Reborn fits better than Warforged. If you're allowed Van Richten content, that is. Plus, if you can take a Dark Gift, Symbiotic Nature is pretty appropriate (skill: religion, language: celestial).

For background, take acolyte, as synagogues know better than to let you run rampant.

Don't worry about feats unless your DM is being a real stickler - I can't imagine a DM objecting to you mechanically dual-wielding weapons but thematically appearing to club people with your fists.

ftafp
2021-06-08, 08:00 PM

you know, it's funny. I was also thinking over a golem character. Mine was going to Adam Kadmon, a reborn artificer with the charlatan background who was made in the image of his creator's deceased son. As a golem he lacks creativity but can produce perfect forgeries, being a forgery of a human himself, and can replicate pretty much any skill he's seen practiced

for added levity he'd be a wet clay golem instead of a fired clay golem. injuries might cartoonishly squish his head in or slice him in half, (both of which he quickly reconstitute himself from) but dropping to 0 hp exposes the scroll that animates him which starts to burn when exposed to air

Master O'Laughs
2021-06-09, 06:41 AM
If you're a being created/animated by divine magic, the acolyte background seems appropriate.

As for class, you might consider battle master with the unarmed fighting style. Use your maneuvers to support and defend party members and grapple & prone pesky targets so the rest of the party can wail on them. Mage Slayer for engaging heretical spellcasters, Skill Expert - Athletics for big grapple energy, Resilient - WIS, Tough (once CON is maxed out), Sentinel if no one else takes it.

Zealot Barbarian is definitely the low-hanging fruit there. Your Shem makes it cheaper to res you, etc. However, I think Reborn fits better than Warforged. If you're allowed Van Richten content, that is. Plus, if you can take a Dark Gift, Symbiotic Nature is pretty appropriate (skill: religion, language: celestial).

For background, take acolyte, as synagogues know better than to let you run rampant.

Don't worry about feats unless your DM is being a real stickler - I can't imagine a DM objecting to you mechanically dual-wielding weapons but thematically appearing to club people with your fists.

Acolyte does seem like a good thematic choice now that you mention it.

As far as class goes, while battlemaster could work, I think I like the damage sponginess of the barbarian chassis. Out of the official subclasses, Zealot does seem the easiest to do.

Reborn is an interesting choice for race. I think warforged or reborn (if allowed) could work well.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-06-12, 03:32 PM
A classic low Wis Barbarian build seems ideal for a Golem. Reborn is okay if you liked the nWoD Promethean game (which I loved), but the Golem as I understood it was not in fact a reborn soul or made of people parts.

Warforged works well in that regard, being literally constructed and according to their earlier lore, bearing a sigil on their forehead, a nod to the Golem myth/legend (though their creators were unclear on the meaning of these symbols).

Earth Genasi could also work. I've always envisioned them as a created people rather than "half genies." +1 Str/+2 Con is great too if the DM isn't allowing Tasha's stat flexibility.