PDA

View Full Version : Further enhancing a runestaff

schreier
2021-06-08, 08:22 PM
My character finally acquired a runestaff of power. It counts as a +2/mastercrafted quarterstaff in addition to its runestaff spell exchange abilities, its smite power, and its luck bonuses.

Do I have the ability to further enchant the weapon aspect either on the +2 or the mastercrafted side, and if so is it just a standard price increase (so like 2000gp to get to +1 or 10000gp to get the +2 to +3)? My guess is yes and it's pretty straightforward but I wanted to confirm.

As a general question with a quarter staff, which has two heads, are you counted as holding both for purposes of enhancements? I'm thinking of things like warning and eager.

Is it possible to increase the luck bonus to AC and saves and if so can you do it separately or would it be one bonus type increase at once. This one clearly seems to be up to the DM, but I wanted to get everyone thoughts if possible.

Then I guess the last question is if it is possible to add additional spells to the runestaff capability. My guess is no or at least not without significant DM oversight.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-06-08, 08:38 PM
As long as you can meet the prerequisites, "A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#addingNewAbilities)"

Granted it's up to your DM to price things that are nonstandard, but adding more spells to the Runestaff portion will follow the pricing guidelines in MIC p224. Keep in mind that this uses words like usually regarding the level and number of spells one should contain.

Lilapop
2021-06-09, 04:05 AM
As a general question with a quarter staff, which has two heads, are you counted as holding both for purposes of enhancements? I'm thinking of things like warning and eager.
Absolutely. Though sometimes I'm not so sure eager is actually worth 8000 gp - a good portion of its budget is spent on the quickdraw, which is usually a nonfactor on the base weapons you use for statstick enchants like this.

Is it possible to increase the luck bonus to AC and saves and if so can you do it separately or would it be one bonus type increase at once.
These probably aren't priced based on a formula, so you can't calculate the difference in price.

Then I guess the last question is if it is possible to add additional spells to the runestaff capability.
Shouldn't be any trouble, the price formula is available. Just keep in mind that the crafter needs to know the spells added into it, so if you do the crafting yourself the benefit is less than the effectly list-expanding thing runestaves usually do.