PDA

View Full Version : Build Challenge: Swarmkeeper Ranger/ Spores Druid Multiclass

Omni-Centrist
2021-06-09, 07:29 AM
I randomly stumbled across this idea a couple of days ago and have not been able to get it out of my head. It seems, to me, to be the best way to take advantage of the d6 melee damage bonus Spores druid gives you, while giving you an additional d6 damage with your swarm. If you had to work this multiclass out, how would you build it? Level split, feats, equipment, etc.

My idea was Swarmkeeper 5/Spores X, PAM (Quarterstaff) and Shield with Ankehg Half Plate. A frontline warrior utilizing spells like entangle to root his enemies before walking in with his Shillelagh for 3 attacks, 2d8 + 1d4 + 4d6 + 12, respectably single target damage.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-06-09, 08:09 AM
Ranger 5/Druid 15 is generally a pretty solid multiclass, but I'm a little concerned about Simbiotic Entity--specially the way it ends when you run out of temporary hit points. For at least the first few Druid levels, you'll have a lot of combats where you get knocked out of your power-up state before you get to do anything with it.

Omni-Centrist
2021-06-09, 10:29 AM
Ranger 5/Druid 15 is generally a pretty solid multiclass, but I'm a little concerned about Simbiotic Entity--specially the way it ends when you run out of temporary hit points. For at least the first few Druid levels, you'll have a lot of combats where you get knocked out of your power-up state before you get to do anything with it.

Good point, I was looking for a way to circumvent that. Somehow get access to shield spell?

Sorinth
2021-06-09, 10:35 AM
Good point, I was looking for a way to circumvent that. Somehow get access to shield spell?

Tortle.

Use a shield and take the Defence fighting style and you have 20 AC. And that can be boosted at higher levels with magic items so you should overall have a solid AC.

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-09, 11:49 AM
Dual-wield whips for Reach, then pick up Defensive Duelist.

Reach helps reduce the number of incoming attacks, which means you're getting a higher percentage of blocked attacks with Defensive Duelist.

Omni-Centrist
2021-06-09, 02:25 PM
Tortle.

Use a shield and take the Defence fighting style and you have 20 AC. And that can be boosted at higher levels with magic items so you should overall have a solid AC.

This is actually really nice. I was thinking variant Human for PAM but I think with this one PAM can wait until 4 and probably Fey touched at 8.

Omni-Centrist
2021-06-09, 02:25 PM
Dual-wield whips for Reach, then pick up Defensive Duelist.

Reach helps reduce the number of incoming attacks, which means you're getting a higher percentage of blocked attacks with Defensive Duelist.

Ooo I think the only thing that conflicts here is that WIS was going to be my main modifier for Shillelagh

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-09, 02:28 PM
Ooo I think the only thing that conflicts here is that WIS was going to be my main modifier for Shillelagh

I guess that begs the question as to what's a greater priority: Safety for the Spore Wildshape, or magical weapon damage for Shillelagh?

Personally, I'd go with the whips. Since a lot of your damage is on-hit stuff, the actual damage bonus you're getting from Shillelagh isn't adding all that much.

tnjrb
2021-07-14, 12:37 PM
Tortle.

how are you getting to 20. Defense fighting style requires armor to get the bonus. I don't think that the tortle natural armor counts as armor as it specifically says, you gain no benefit from wearing armor. is there a sage advice saying it works? that would be nice!

Sorinth
2021-07-14, 09:36 PM
how are you getting to 20. Defense fighting style requires armor to get the bonus. I don't think that the tortle natural armor counts as armor as it specifically says, you gain no benefit from wearing armor. is there a sage advice saying it works? that would be nice!

It's a RAW but probably not RAI reading since you can technically still wear armour, so the armour itself provides no benefit it's the fighting style that is providing the AC bonus and it simply cares that you have armour on and not that you are benefiting from it.