View Full Version : Spellthief Spellwarp Sniper

Paragon
2021-06-10, 03:03 AM
Hi every one,

I'm trying to build one of these with the DM ruling that stealing an X level spell can be considered "an ability to cast Xth level spell" (meaning I can take SwS 1 at ECL 7).
Another DM's grace is that the number of spells I can keep stored (usually = to Spellthief class levels) continue increasing with levels of PrC.

Having said that.

I am a Strongheart Halfling that turned into an Unseelie Fey (a homeruled Good version) :
Flaw : Pathetic (we roll for flaws... unlucky)
1 : Godsblood Domain (Spell), Improved Initiative (Strongheart), Point Blank Shot (Flaw)
3 : Flyby attack (natural Flight from the Fey template)
6 : Going to take Master Spellthief (same rule allowing the steal spell for casting Xth lvl spell)

I currently have a sling as my first attack (Nerveskitter and Improved Initiative make sure I can get the stealing machine rolling)

Question 1)
I'm considering having an Intermediate version of the Fey Bloodline variant rule in order to get the SwS able to warp 7th level spells. Is it worth the BaB, HP, saves and skill point cost ?
Bloodline don't mention PrCs, only mutliclass, which leads to some obscur interactions : Am I getting an addition to my caster level from Spellthief AND from SwS (which increases Spellthief) ? In this case it's not really a balance issue since Spellthief is tier 4 (3 at best) but I wonder.

Question 2)
I feel SwS should allow for item casting to be warpable, does anyone have a take on this ?

Question 3)
I have a party member that is a warlock which is very nice for the Steal SLA. And I found this article (http://www.roleplaynexus.com/errataspelllike.html) about SLA "levels", I feel it's fair, do you have another reading ?

Question 4)
What are the best spells to warp (below 7th level) knowing this doesn't allow for a Ref save and since i'm a Spellthief, every spell list is open ?

Any additional advice on playing this char is welcomed. So far it's the best PC i've ever played with :)

Paragon
2021-06-14, 08:17 AM
532 views, no answer...

Please show the Spellthief some love

high speed
2021-06-15, 11:29 PM
"bit of love" https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?279828-Any-good-ideas-to-optimize-Spellwarp-Sniper

Ger. Bessa
2021-06-16, 07:43 AM
Question 1: it depends?

By the rules you don't get +2 CL/Bloodline level just by being a spellthief/Spellwarp Sniper. You get +1CL (not spell progression), +1 spellthief progression, +1 Spellwarp max level and +1 max skill rank. It would be good to take both before level 5 to not impede on your prestige class progression, but you seem to want Steal SLA which is Spellthief lv5...

Worth it ? I don't know. Are they just a one time xp spent like a LA buyoff that don't take place in your build ? Then probably yes. Do they take 2 levels on your 20 lv build ? Then probably not.

Question 2: That's for your DM since he'll be the one to greenlit/veto. Blasting requires good CL especially for SR that wands don't get, and staves are really expensive. So It's not really a power spike problem.

A spellstaff might (I'm not sure) allow to convert a stolen spell into another, and that's you casting it so Spellwarp Sniper works.

If endurance (taking 10 encounters a day with Spellwarped wands) is what your DM is afraid of, remind him that you already have the Spellthief+Warlock combo.

Question 3: I'm not sure what's the question. Warlock invocations have very clear rules (and levels to calculate DCs) and that's what you steal, and the article is over 90% rules reminder gathered in one place.

Question 4:

No quote box from phone :
A spellthief can learn any sorcerer/wizard spell from the following schools: abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion, and transmutation

That's your spell list. Plus one domain from godsblood. I don't think SLAs get spellwarped by RAW. What's your plan to access the specific spells you are asking for ?

You didn't say trickster spellthief so you don't have lv1 spells until lv4. You said you intended to sneak attack casters to get them. Is your adventure going to have you face wizards only (with a 60% evokers 40% necromancers split ?) ?

I have a suggestion for putting decent offensive casting at low class level cost in your build, but it's more for evil characters.

If you go trickster spellthief, you get spellcasting from lv1. As undead (necropolitan for 0 LA, requires not being a fey) you have FIXED taint based on your charisma (way less problematic than being able to increase it through actions, still good). One level of Maho-Tsukai converts your spellcasting to 'sorcerer+' with your spell list being the five sor/wiz schools Abjuration, Transmutation, Illusion, Enchantment, Divination, the bard spell list (trickster) for decent sonic blasting and the Maho-Tsukai list (Inflict spells, Ennervation, Slay living/Finger of death/HARM plus other very good goodies). If you're afraid of going too far above tier 3/4, as sorcerer-like casting you can botch it with only taking blasting, or even bad blasting. Also as an undead you can't easily use blood metamagic since you can't pay CON. Also the master spellthief feat gives you back light armored casting of arcane spells)

I'm planning a big post on the Maho Tsukai in 1 to 2 weeks, could turn into a handbook if I get good response. Hope I helped. And remember, Character != Class. You could use my trick and only cast with the blood of others (requiring you to at least damage them for the blood component of each of your maho spells, ensuring that you have good spells to spellwarp regardless of the encounters and keeping the "thief" theme).