PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Witch subclass for the warlock

Greywander
2021-06-11, 12:26 AM
Edit: Updated version posted in a later post. Scroll down and check that instead of reading the features listed here under the spoiler. /edit

After making this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?632422-Making-a-witchy-warlock) on the 5e subforum about how to build a witchy warlock using existing rules, I thought I'd try my hand at writing up a homebrew subclass specifically for doing this. Before I post the write up, let's quickly go over the goals I'm aiming for:

Keeps you guessing where they are on the sliding scale of "misunderstood nature magic user" to "spooky black magic user".
Does a lot of spooky rituals. Is also known for divination that is at once eerily accurate and frustratingly vague.
Is knowledgeable about obscure lore and magic.
Is a healer, specifically using traditional/folk medicine. Definitely not doctor recommended.
Deals in curses. Lots of them. This is one of the main reasons witches are feared.
Has a familiar.
Can talk to animals.
Can turn into animals.
Is either a fugly hag, a buxom beauty, or a fugly hag disguised as a buxom beauty.
Generally a forest hermit. They're too feared to live in town proper, but also respected enough that townsfolk still seek their aid.

Warlock already gets us access to "black magic" type spells, so much of the expanded spell list is spent adding druid spells, as well as Bestow Curse. Subclass features are geared toward giving you rituals (especially ones for healing), a familiar, and the ability to talk to and turn into animals. This is some overlap with potential pact choices; notably two of the three PHB pacts will give us Find Familiar, but considering how iconic familiars are to witches I didn't want to rely on your pact to get it, or penalize someone for taking the blade or talisman pacts.

The Witchmaker
People whisper of the dark dealings of witches, some saying that they sold their souls to a devil for power, others that they’re in the service of hags, or that they’ve discovered ancient secrets that had been forgotten for a reason. While the first witches may have gained their powers from some other source, your patron is most likely another witch who has passed on the occult secrets of their craft.

Witches are both feared and respected. They are feared for their terrible curses, and can fall victim to mobs of superstitious peasants who blame them for every misfortune they experience. But they are also capable healers, and know of ways to protect against wicked spirits. Many religious orders take a dim view of witches, and more traditional spellcasters often balk at their unorthodox magicks. This forces many a witch to take up residence in the wild, on the outskirts of small villages that will tolerate their presence, and sometimes seek them out for aid.

Expanded Spell List
The Witchmaker lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Cantrip - druidcraft, thorn whip
1st - animal friendship, fog cloud
2nd - animal messenger, spike growth
3rd - bestow curse, conjure animals
4th - giant insect, polymorph
5th - contagion, geas

Witch’s Implements
Beginning at 1st level, in addition to an arcane focus, you may also use any of the following as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells: a druidic focus, an herbalism kit (if proficient), alchemist’s tools (if proficient), cook’s utensils (if proficient), or a cauldron (iron pot).

In addition, you may cast Find Familiar as a ritual.

Maleficium
Starting at 1st level, you know the Bane spell, which counts as a warlock spell for you and doesn’t count against the number of warlock spells you know. You may also cast Bane at-will as a 1st level spell.

Speech of the Woodlands
When you choose this patron at 1st level, you learn two languages of your choice. In addition, when you learn a language you can choose any of the following special languages that allow you to communicate with beasts and plants. Only witches know the secret arts that allow them to learn and speak these languages.

The following are languages for speaking with beasts:

Cacaw. Spoken by all birds.
Canisont. Spoken by canines, bears, racoons, ferrets, badgers, and seals.
Chitterspeak. Spoken by insects and other arthropods.
Felinus. Spoken by felines, hyenas, mongooses, and civets.
Ooka. Spoken by primates.
Riparian. Spoken by freshwater animals, including fish and amphibians.
Salinotus. Spoken by all saltwater animals, from fish to whales to lobsters.
Ssissassa. Spoken by all reptiles.
Ungulu. Spoken by ungulates such as deer, horses, and cattle.
Verminox. Spoken by rodents, bats, rabbits, and other small, pest-like mammals.

The following are languages for speaking with plants:

Bryopha. Spoken my mosses and liverworts.
Conifar. Spoken by evergreen trees.
Florina. Spoken by shrubs, grasses, and vines.
Maralgus. Spoken by algae and seaweed.
Mycelius. Spoken by fungus and lichens.
Oaken. Spoken by deciduous trees.

Witch’s Remedy
When you reach 6th level, you learn a number of secret remedies and rituals passed down by witches designed to promote health and protect against evil spirits. You may cast the following spells as rituals: Augury, Cure Wounds, Detect Poison and Disease, Lesser Restoration, Protection from Evil and Good, Protection from Poison, and Remove Curse.

When you cast Cure Wounds as a ritual using this feature, you may increase the spell’s level by an amount equal to half your proficiency bonus.

Animal Shapes
Beginning at 10th level, you are able to magically take on the shape of an animal. Choose a number of beasts equal to your proficiency bonus that are medium or smaller. As an action, you may turn into one of the beasts you chose, or back into your true form. Each time your proficiency bonus increases, you may choose a new beast to take the form of. Each time you gain a level in this class, you may replace one of your beast forms with a different one. Temporary changes to your proficiency bonus, such as from a spell or magic item, don’t interact with this feature.

While you are in a beast form, your statistics don’t change except for your size and speed. Any equipment you are wearing or carrying isn’t transformed with you. You revert to your true form if you die.

Awakened Familiar
When you reach 10th level, the familiar you create with the find familiar spell becomes an awakened beast, as if affected by the Awaken spell.

Master of Curses and Cures
Upon reaching 14th level, you master the various curses and cures that are the domain of witches. You may cast the following spells as rituals: Commune with Nature, Greater Restoration, and Raise Dead.

In addition, you may also cast Bestow Curse as a ritual. If you increase the ritual length from 10 minutes to 15 minutes, the spell is cast at 4th level instead of 3rd, and the spell’s level increases again each time you double the ritual’s length, up to 9th level (for an 8 hour ritual). If you have a part of the target’s body, such as a lock of hair or a fingernail, then you may target that creature with the curse as long as they are on the same plane as you, regardless of distance.
Some of my own thoughts so far:

First, it does feel kind of busy. I think this needs to be streamlined a bit, I just haven't figured out which parts to trim down or remove.

I do like Bane as an at-will ability. It's useful, but not overpowering. It's concentration, so you won't use it if you have a better concentration spell, but warlocks don't have a lot of spell slots, so this makes a nice backup. It offers a saving throw, so you're not automatically getting the full benefit every time you cast it (unlike, say, Bless), but you probably don't want to waste an action recasting it as long as it affects at least two creatures. I do worry that I might be giving too many features at first level, though.

I wasn't really sure how to handle the talking to animals. I could have made it simple, allowing you to talk to all beasts, or cast Speak with Animals at will, like the invocation. But I thought I'd try a different angle. Not sure if it works. Also, I know not every type of animal is accounted for. If this system seems worth pursuing, I'm open to ideas about how to split up the languages.

Non-ritual spells as rituals. I thought it was an interesting idea, and fits with the warlock being an unconventional caster. There are a couple rituals here, though, so there will be some overlap with Pact of the Tome (which I think is still the best fit for this concept). I considered giving Regenerate or Heal with the 14th level feature, but those seemed too strong. I'm also not sure if I might be giving too many spells here, but due to the nature of rituals they're not exactly easy to use and require proper planning.

The shapeshifting feature doesn't allow you to breathe underwater or climb across ceilings or stuff. You do get the move speeds of your form, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature that you don't get anything else. I do think it's an interesting take to allow you to turn into a fish but still need to breathe air. So you look like the animal, but don't really get any of its abilities, which could make it difficult to blend in.

I also tried to do something interesting with the Bestow Curse ritual. Do note that it only lets you cast it as a ritual, so you still need to get it as a spell known to use during combat. If you can capture a creature, you can perform the ritual on them to curse them in person. Otherwise, getting a piece of the target's body could be difficult depending on the creature in question. Even with the restrictions, I still worry a bit that it might be too strong, but I still think it's interesting. Worth tweaking to get it balanced rather than scrapping it entirely. It might make sense to more or less copy the system used for Scrying, but where the target gets a +10 bonus to the save and having a picture, possession, or body part will reduce that bonus. I should perhaps also include a clause that prevents cursing the target again (perhaps if they pass the save).

Anyway, how can I improve this, or what should go on the chopping block first?

Garfunion
2021-06-11, 10:21 PM
Have you thought about making this archetype fit another class like the sorcerer, druid, or bard?

Also maybe make the cauldron a pact gift instead. this would allow you to fold in alchemy and cooking proficiencies into that gift.

Kane0
2021-06-12, 04:24 AM
I second the 'pact of the cauldron' concept. The base level 3 feature could be brewing, herbalism or alchemy tool prof (or expertise) and something like making a common rarity potion or poison during a long rest that remains potent for 24 hours.
Then you can add in cauldron-only invocations that let you brew higher rarity potions, get a few rituals (although this overlaps with pact of the tome), get some charm/dominate spells or effects you couldnt already get and so on.

Beast speech is already an invocation for talking to animals, as are other witchy things like disguising yourself and messing with people using a silver tongue or illusions.

Bane, bestow curse, polymorph and more are already available via invocations, a common alteration to these 'get x spell' invocs is to grant one casting at its base level per long rest without using a spell slot, and/or adding the spell as a spell known. In my experience that makes them very competitive with other invocation options instead of disregarded 90% of the time.

Garfunion
2021-06-12, 05:37 AM
I was also thinking that you could have your cauldron function similar to an alchemy jug, seeing as how an Artificer can make an alchemy jug at level 2 or 3.

By the way if you make this archetype a druid subclass you can…
•use wildshape feature to apply curses
•let the druid choose spells from the warlock spell list (similar to the sorcerer divine soul)
•give them the find familiar spell
•give them a cauldron as an archetype feature as mentioned above.

Greywander
2021-07-24, 10:49 PM
I've tweaked the subclass a bit. Here's the new version:
The Witchmaker
People whisper of the dark dealings of witches, some saying that they sold their souls to a devil for power, others that they’re in the service of hags, or that they’ve discovered ancient secrets that had been forgotten for a reason. While the first witches may have gained their powers from some other source, your patron is most likely another witch who has passed on the occult secrets of their craft.

Witches are both feared and respected. They are feared for their terrible curses, and can fall victim to mobs of superstitious peasants who blame them for every misfortune they experience. But they are also capable healers, and know of ways to protect against wicked spirits. Many religious orders take a dim view of witches, and more traditional spellcasters often balk at their unorthodox magicks. This forces many a witch to take up residence in the wild, on the outskirts of small villages that will tolerate their presence, and sometimes seek them out for aid.

Expanded Spell List
The Witchmaker allows you to draw on the magic of nature as well as the dark magic available to all warlocks. Whenever you learn or replace a warlock spell, you may choose a spell from the druid list instead. Those spells count as warlock spells for you.

Witch’s Implements
Beginning at 1st level, in addition to an arcane focus, you may also use any of the following as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells: a druidic focus, an herbalism kit (if proficient), alchemist’s tools (if proficient), cook’s utensils (if proficient), or a cauldron (iron pot).

In addition, you know the Find Familiar spell and may cast it as a ritual. This doesn’t count against the number of warlock spells you know.

Maleficium
Starting at 1st level, you know the Bane spell, which counts as a warlock spell for you and doesn’t count against the number of warlock spells you know. You may also cast Bane at-will as a 1st level spell.

Witch’s Remedy
When you reach 6th level, you learn a number of secret remedies and rituals passed down by witches designed to promote health and protect against evil spirits. You may cast the following spells as rituals: Augury, Cure Wounds, Detect Poison and Disease, Lesser Restoration, Protection from Evil and Good, Protection from Poison, and Remove Curse.

When you cast Cure Wounds as a ritual using this feature, you may increase the spell’s level by an amount equal to half your proficiency bonus.

Witch's Forms
Beginning at 10th level, you are able to magically take on the shape of an animal. Choose a number of beasts equal to your proficiency bonus that are medium or smaller. As an action, you may turn into one of the beasts you chose, or back into your true form. Each time your proficiency bonus increases, you may choose a new beast to take the form of. Each time you gain a level in this class, you may replace one of your beast forms with a different one. Temporary changes to your proficiency bonus, such as from a spell or magic item, don’t interact with this feature.

While you are in a beast form, your statistics don’t change except for your size and speed. Any equipment you are wearing or carrying isn’t transformed with you. You revert to your true form if you die.

Awakened Familiar
When you reach 10th level, the familiar you create with the find familiar spell becomes an awakened beast. The awakened familiar has its Intelligence increased to 10 and gains the ability to speak. The familiar learns two languages you know, and can be taught more languages. Each time you summon the familiar, it retains knowledge of any languages it has learned.

Master of Curses and Cures
Upon reaching 14th level, you master the various curses and cures that are the domain of witches. You may cast the following spells as rituals: Commune with Nature, Greater Restoration, and Reincarnate. Your esoteric knowledge of herbs and remedies also allows you to greatly extend your lifespan and preserve your youth. For every 10 years that pass, your body ages only 1 year.

In addition, you may also cast Bestow Curse as a ritual. If you increase the ritual length from 10 minutes to 15 minutes, the spell is cast at 4th level instead of 3rd, and the spell’s level increases again each time you double the ritual’s length, up to 9th level (for an 8 hour ritual). If you have a part of the target’s body, such as a lock of hair or a fingernail, then you may target that creature with the curse as long as they are on the same plane as you, regardless of distance. A creature who succeeds on their saving throw against this spell is protected from this ritual for one week.
Changelog:

Expanded spell list now includes the entire druid spell list. It no longer includes Bestow Curse (because it isn't a druid spell, use the invocation instead). Because warlocks are limited by spells known, giving them access to the entire druid list shouldn't be much of an issue, similar to Divine Soul sorcerers getting access to the entire cleric list while being similarly limited by spells known. Not actually sure how this interacts with Mystic Arcanum.
Reworded gaining Find Familiar from Witch's Implements. Now it's a spell you know (so not just a ritual) and clarifies that it doesn't count against warlock spells know. You can still cast it as a ritual.
Speech of the Woodlands is just gone. Three features at 1st level was just too much, and this is already mostly covered by the Beast Speech invocation.
Animal Shapes renamed to Witch's Forms in order to prevent confusion with the spell by the same name.
Awakened Familiar rewritten so as not to refer to the Awaken spell (so the effect can't be dispelled). It now natively gives your familiar an INT of 10 and they learn two languages you know, with the ability to learn more.
Master of Curses and Cures now lets you cast Reincarnate as a ritual, instead of Raise Dead. This seemed more appropriate for the unconventional methods that witches employ, as well as reinforcing the druidic aspect of witches.
Master of Curses and Cures now extends your lifespan similar to the 18th level druid feature. You get it sooner because of spooky demon pact or something.
Master of Curses and Cures now gives the target of your Bestow Curse ritual a week of immunity if they pass their save. This prevents you from just recasting the ritual until you succeed.

I'm a bit happier with this iteration, though it feels like I didn't tweak it very much.

So far, I haven't gotten much actual feedback on the subclass. Most of the suggestions so far were to make this a pact boon or druid subclass, which are also options I'm looking into. I have removed some of the features that were redundant with invocations, which was one of the only actual suggestions I was getting. Speaking of, why isn't there an invocation that lets you turn into an animal? I could totally see that as something accessible to any warlock, not just witches. I mean, yeah, there's the Polymorph invocation, but I mean an at-will feature that just lets you take an animal's form while retaining your own stats (so it's an RP ability, not a combat ability). Imagine a fiendlock who can turn into a centipede and skitter under closed doors.