PDA

View Full Version : Radien [PrC]

Lady Tialait
2007-11-13, 12:29 AM
My Freind who has played D&D atleast as long as i have has been urgeing me to deisiegn a Monk-Prestige to allow him some more-then-quasi-magical abilities. This is what me and like..four peaple have came up with I have gone over everything everyone here has worked on I would love a little help.

Reidan

Requirements:
Alighnment any lawful
balance 9
perfrom (forms) 2
knowlage (religion or arcane) 11

Improved Unarmed Strike or Unarmed Strike class feature

Feats:
Stunning Fist
Lightning Reflexes
Quick Draw

Special:
You must be trained by a Reidan with atleast 5 class levels of Reidan
Also, must have acess atleast 1 spell/power with the describtor Lightning (via spell, spell-like ablity, psych, magic item, or psy-item)

D8 HD
Redain
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Eletric Disc, Soul of Lightning, Crackle +1

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Lightning Calling 1/day

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Resistance to Eletricity 5, crackle +2

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Lightning Calling 2/day, improved disc

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Resistance to Eletricity 10 , Crackle +3, Evasion

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+5|Lightining Calling 3/day

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+5|Resistance to Eletricity 20, Crackle +4

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+6|Lightning Calling 4/day, perfect disc

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+6|Immunity to eletricity, Crackle +5

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+7|Healed by Eletricity, True Lightning[/table]

Skills: 2+Int Balance, Perform (Forms), Knowlage (All), Climb, Consintration, Intimidate, Jump ,and Tumble.

Eletric Disc (su) :

You create at will an Eletric Disc The disc can either be flat or at a slight conclave, it is a 3ft diameter plane of force that crackles with eletricity when the weilder wishes (free action) the eletricity deals 1d6 eletricity damage per Radien level to a maximum of 5d6. In addition, the Radien may sit on the disc to move vertically or horizonally in accordance with the spell 'Levitate'.
the disc can hold upto 100 lbs/Radien level worth of objects. will not move more then 5 ft away from the weilder He may command it to move anywere within those 5ft.

At level 4 The disc creation becomes better and gains more uses. inculding Now it can be thrown 20 feet if it containing any items they are flung in a random direction. May now act like a Fly spell but the disc rider must make balance checks if not sitting on the disc DC 20 per round, and must Balance checks DC 25 if attacking when on the Disc and standing, if sitting and attacking DC 20 balance check.

AT level 8 The disc now can become a long line of Eletricity that deals 5d6 eletricity damage in a 60 ft. in a line (Ref save 10+Raiden level half) . Also the checks for doing the standing and attacking checks the DC is lowered by 10 and the Reiden will be able to take a 10 on the balance check. even under stress.

It is a 'Draw weapon' Equivilant action to create the Disc

Soul of Lightning (ex) :
because their exsistance being almost ingulfed in lightning all spells cast by or damageing magic effect, the reiden casts or uses have the (Lightning) Describtor and deal Eletricity damage instead of normal damage, this ablity can be supressed.

Evasion (ex) :
As the Monk ablitly execpt one thing If the Radien already had Evation then he gains Improved Evation instead.

Crackle (su):
Adds +1 on all Intimate checks at level 3 it grows again and ever other level after that.

Healed by Eletricity (ex) :
For every 2 damage that would be delt to the Radien he instead heals 1 damage. to a max of his maximum hit points. this superedes his immunity to eletricity.

True Lightning (ex):
Mastery of the Calling of Lightning has caused the Radien to be able to treat a simple powerful Strike to become a catalist for powers that only he can truely understand. A 10th level Radien can convert a Stunning Fist attempt into a Lightning Call. Doing so is a Full-Round Action that provoces AoO. The following round the Radien may use the Recovered Call. His maximum pool of Calls is still 4/day but he can recover them.

Lightning Call (Su) :

This ablitly is the Reidan's ablitly to harness eletricity for gain, according to level the reidan gains differnt powers,
The caster level is the Reidan Level, cast off Wisdom
level + Wisdom modifyer to determine the uses maximum Effect
1 Shocking Missle (Eletric Magic Missle)
2 Danceing Sparks (Faerie Fire or Danceing Lights)
3 Summon Lesser Lighting Avatar (see Below)
4 Lightning Hands (burning hands but Eletricity)
5 Blocking Thunder (Shield)
6 Lightning Torch (Continual Flame)
7 Sparkler (Glitterdust)
8 Summon Lighting Avatar (see Below)
9 Speed of Storm (Cat's Grace)
10 Lightning Bolt
11 Flashing Speed (Haste)
12 Crack'a'Boom (Shout)
13 Call Lightning
14 Summon Greater Lightning Avater (see below)
15 Chain Lightning
16 Orb of the Lightning Soul (Otiluke's freezing sphere but with eletric damage)
17 Eletro-theropy (Insanity)
18 Perform! (otto's irrestiable dance but does Marial Arts forms NOT dances)
19 Strike Stride (Greater Teleport)
20+ StormRage

Lightning Avatar
Transmutation [Lighning]
Level: Special
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Full Round Action.
Range:Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 1/minet per level.
Saving Throw:none.
Spell Resistance: none.

This Spell turns the caster into a form of a creature that crackles with energy and can command powerful forces of eletricity and lightning.

With this for of the spell Use the Middle Figures for Numbers from the 'Lightning Avatar' template.

Lightning Avatar, Greater

Same as Lighting Avatar, but use Larges figures on the Template.

Lightning Avatar, Lesser

Same as Lighting Avatar, but use the smallest figures on the Template.

The Lightning Avatar (Template)

Creating the Lightning Avatar
"Lightning Avatar" is an Acquired template that can be added to any living, corporeal human (referred to hereafter as the base creature) Useing the 'Call Lighning' Abilitiy .
The Avatar uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type
The creature’s type does not change. Size is unchanged. Do not recalculate base attack bonus or saves.
Hit Dice
The creature’s hit dice do not change.
Speed
The Lightning Avatar’s speed does not change. But Gains a Fly speed of 60ft. (perfect)
Armor Class
+2 natural Armor bonus or +6 natural Armor Bonus or +8 natural armor bonus
Attack
No change.
Full Attack
No change.
Damage
+1D6, or +1D8 or +2D6 lightning Damage to all attacks.
Special Attacks
Quick as Lightning
Any Lighting Avatar can enter this state for 1/round per Wisdom Modifier. This ability cannot be ended prematurly enless the abiltity is lost or the Lighting Avatar is killed. In this state the L.A. gains +2 Dex but -2 Con. Additionally, by takeing 10 points of damage the L.A. can perform an extra attack at -10.
Abilities
No increase in abilities of the base creature.
Skills
No change in skills.
Environment
Same as the base creature.
Challenge Rating
Special.
Alignment
Always Lawful.
Level Adjustment
Special.

I have play tested it. I think it needs alot of work. See how much you guys can help me with. As it is. all play tests ended up with it not overpowering the other charitor. but that is mostly just because it doesn't really do anything.

Edit: Thanks for all the notes this not only looks better (Nice Shiney Format) but also is starting to look as tho it can stand up against Li Ping the jumping Monk..hehe I love it!! Keep the suggestions and comments comming. Be rude if you must. and could someone help me diseign a better Lightning Avatar..it's kinda crude and looks aweful ...Thankies Levi for the suggestion of makeing it shiney!

Edit again : A freind of mine came over and suggesed something about the lighting Avatar being templates..I like it..instead of adding another combatant you change yourself..kinda He-Man like...muhahah..gimme a moment to learn how to properly word templates.

Edit once more: Saves changed due to the comments (thankies) of RTG
I also Cleaned up the Eletric disc I would like some imput from Levi.

DracoDei
2007-11-13, 03:50 AM
At a VERY first glance: CONSIDER making the electric healing 2 points healed for every 2 or 3 that would be inflicted... Otherwise the party arcanist became a better healer for you than the cleric in many cases I think. This would match up with the way a lot of golems work.

levi
2007-11-13, 05:20 AM
I hate to nitpick, but the first thing you should do is read the Intro to Homebrew thread and try to clean up the formatting of your write-up. Once you've done that, I'd bet dollars to pesos you'll recive better critiques.

Honestly, it may not seem like much, but the closer your homebrew looks to the contents of a published d20 book, the better recived it will be by a lot of people. If you need any help in this department, feel free to PM me. (But read the thread first, it covers nearly everything.)

As for the class itself, it looks interesting and solid, but I suck at balancing, so who knows. I did notice one thing however, the special requirement for training from another Reidan is understandable, but the level nine requirement is a little high. Considering that you can't even enter the class until level 10, only level 19 or higher characters are able to pass on the art.

In general, I think the entrance requirements are a little high. To even enter at level 10, a straight classed monk must max out two knowledge skills that they will rarely use. Also quick draw is a poor feat requirement as it really contributes nothing to the type of character I imagine taking this style and doesn't fit with the theme of the class, AFAIK. I'd suggest lowering the required skills and making some adjustments to the required feats. Combat Reflexes is a better fit, but it's still not very closely tied to the main theme of the class. Perhaps Lightning Reflexes would be better? Although, that could be a bit too much of a pun. But you do seem to be emphasising that this is a class for fast characters, so it fits.

While PrCs designed for high level characters serve a perpose, many games don't get to high levels (especially when starting at level one to three), so those that can be entered at lower levels are more useful to players overall.

If you feel the class is underpowered, consider adding some standard monk class features. This allows a monk that takes it to continue some of his standard monk training, or a non-monk to learn a little martial arts in addition to the lightning based abilities.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-13, 05:12 PM
As for the prerequisite of quick draw. the Electric Disk is intended to be weapon in of itself. I understand changing it to Lightning Reflexes, buut the pun might push my players over the edge. As for the skill ranks I'll change those. and A reformat is another change I guess I'll make.:p for the good of the PrCl. but thinking of the feat..i guess combat reflexes could be changed out. I still enjoy the quickdraw.

lightghtning Healing did end up a bit overpowered but the problem is I want the call lightnings to help heal the monk as well as be aggresive but a 2/1 ratio won't be too bad maybe even a 3/1

Lady Tialait
2007-11-14, 02:44 PM
Alright Sense I've seen no more problems with it..and assested all the comments thus far I'll be assumeing that this PrCl is balanced and ready to be added. I think the small changes I made will allow it to keep up with the party and give it the nessasary oomph.

levi
2007-11-14, 08:40 PM
Just a minor note, the usual abbreviation for "Prestige Class" is "PrC", not "PrCl". Now onto some useful comentary.

I think it might be clearer if you wrote up the electric disk abilities rather than referencing three seperate spells and saying that it functions as all three. As it currently is, I'm not entirely sure what it does exactly.

It creates a disk of electricity, which can apparently, be used to attack things, carry objects around, and levitate? The current description leaves a lot of questions unanswered:

What sort of things can the disc carry?
If it's a Tenser's Floating Disk, it can carry stuff, but if it's made of electricity, how can it carry anything?
Can the Reidan stand on it's own disc?
Can the Reidan move the disk at will, or does it take an action to move, or does it simply follow the Reidan around?
What exactly does the Levitate power do? Does it levitate the disk, the Reidan, anything on the disk?
What is the duration of the ability?
How does attacking with the disk work?
If the disk is used to attack in a line, what happens to things riding on it? If the disk is thrown, what happens to things riding on it?

I think if you explicitly wrote up the ability, all these questions could be clearly answered. Also, perhaps the level four and eitht improvements to Electric Disk should be given names and listed on the level table.

Given that it's an action equvilant to drawing a weapon to create a disk, I guess Quick Draw is actually a fine feat for this class. Combat Reflexes still makes no sense to me. What does being able to make more than one AoO per combat round have to do with being a lighning weilding monk?

If you need any help formulating rules text for the ability, please feel free to ask, I'll be glad to help.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-14, 09:03 PM
Yeah, The three spells are what i wanted in addion to it dealing damage as a unarmed strike at range.

Would love you to help me make it say what I want it to say not leaving so many questions.

I want it to be able to carry things. It's made of Elecricity and is a plain of force all in one. just to be clear. in addion I think throwing it should cause it to drop all items at the monks feet..or fling them but i don't know where to start with that..random flinging isn't my strong point.

As for standing on it. Yes or no, the monk sits on his disc to make it act like levitate allowing the Monk to levitate sitting not standing..for that he'll need to gain the higher ablities.

RTGoodman
2007-11-14, 09:30 PM
I don't know if it was a typo or something, but your saves are really off. A "good" save starts at +2, increases to +3 at 2nd level, and then goes us by another +1 for every two levels.

Getting a +1 increases per level is pretty overpowered.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-14, 09:34 PM
Your right, problem is I wanted it to look like monk saves. but a sudden boost of +2 to all saves at first level looked strange to me. I guess if i make it +2 at first and up one every two levels after that on all saves it will be techoncally correct but i'm afraid of that. I considered all bad saves but then it's underpowered. What do you suggest?

RTGoodman
2007-11-14, 09:42 PM
Well, the only other straight Monk PrC that I can think of (the Tattooed Monk from Complete Warrior) does indeed have all good saves, meaning a "sudden jump" of +2 for all saves at first level. I'm not sure it's that overpowered, especially since survivability is supposed to be one of the Monk's strong points.

Also, I noticed that your PrC does advance any monk abilities (unarmed damage, AC, flurry, or any of the others). I don't know if you meant for it to not advance them or not, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-14, 09:47 PM
I am debating on weather to put the monk ablilities in or not. there is alot of good stuff involved in takeing this class i dont want it to be the only prc that anyone playing a monk in my game will want to take. as for others...Divine/Arcane Fist...Initiate of the Draconic Mistories...or w/e..Tatooed monk is okay..but is one of many PrC for Monks..

Changing Saves...now.

levi
2007-11-14, 10:55 PM
I hope you don't mind, but I reformatted the text and reworded some parts of it to be clearer and follow standard d20 conventions. I left the Electric Disc abilities blank because I think they need a lot of work to function in a clearly defined manner. I also changed Lightning Calling to a Spell-like ability, because that seemed to be a better fit.

I think it might be better to rewrite the Lighning Avatar spell-like ability chain to be more like standard buff spells rather than using a template, so I left them blank as well. I say this because the template leaves most things unchanged and I think it'd be less complicated that way.

What does Storm Rage do? It has no spell listed.

Reidan

Hit Die: d8

Requirements

To qualify to become an reidan, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Any lawful.

Skills: Balance 9 ranks, Knowledge (religion or arcana) 11 ranks, Perform (forms) 2 ranks.

Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Quick Draw, Stunning Fist.

Spells: Ability to cast at least one spell with the [Electricity] descriptor or cast such a spell from an item, special ability, psionic power, or other source.

Special: Must be trained by another redian of at least class level 5.

Class Skills

The reidan’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Perform (Cha), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Electric Disc, Soul of Lightning, Crackle +1
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Lightning Calling 1/day
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Resistance to Eletricity 5, Crackle +2
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Lightning Calling 2/day, Improved Electric Disc
5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Resistance to Eletricity 10 , Crackle +3, Evasion
6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+5|Lightining Calling 3/day
7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+5|Resistance to Eletricity 20, Crackle +4
8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+6|Lightning Calling 4/day, Perfect Electric Disc
9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+6|Immunity to Eletricity, Crackle +5
10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+7|Healed by Eletricity, True Lightning[/table]

Class Features

All of the following are Class Features of the reidan prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Reidan gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Electric Disc: ...

Improved Electric Disc: ...

Perfect Electric Disc: ...

Soul of Lightning (Ex): Because of their exsistance being almost ingulfed in lightning, all magical damage originating from a reidan deals electricity damage rather than the type it would normally deal. All damage dealing spells or spell-like abilities cast by a reidan gain the [Electricity] descriptor. This ability may be supressed at will.

Evasion (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a reidan can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the reidan is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless reidan does not gain the benefit of evasion.

If a reidan already has evasion from a different class he automatically gains improved evasion (as the rouge special ability) instead.

Crackle (Su): A reidan gains a +1 competancy bonus to Intimidate checks. At 3rd level and every other level thereafter, this bonus increases by one point.

Healed by Electricity (Ex): Starting at 10th level, for every 2 damage negated by the reidan's immunity to electricity, he is healed 1 hit point.

True Lightning (Ex): Mastery of the calling of lightning has caused the reidan to be able to modify a simple powerful strike into a catalyst for powers that only he can truely understand. Starting at 10th level, a reidan may use a Stunning Fist attempt to gain an additional daily use of lightning calling. Using this ability is a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Lighning Calling (Sp): Starting at 2nd level, a reidan gains the power to harness electricity in a manner similar to casting spells. The abilities available depend on his calling level, which is equal to his class level plus his Wisdom modifier (see the table below). His caster level is equal to his class level. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.

At 2nd level, a reidan may use this ability once per day. At 4th, 6th, and 8th levels, his daily usage increases by one.

{table=head]Calling Level | Ability | Spell Cast
1 | Shocking Missle | magic missle
2 | Danceing Sparks | faerie fire or dancing lights
3 | Lesser Lighting Avatar | lesser lighting avatar*
4 | Lightning Hands | burning hands
5 | Blocking Thunder | shield
6 | Lightning Torch | continual flame
7 | Sparkler | glitterdust
8 | Lighting Avatar | lighting avatar*
9 | Speed of Storm | cat's grace
10 | Lightning Bolt | lightning bolt
11 | Flashing Speed | haste
12 | Crack 'a' Boom | shout
13 | Call Lightning | call lightning
14 | Greater Lightning Avatar | greater lightning avatar*
15 | Chain Lightning | chain lightning
16 | Orb of the Lightning Soul | otiluke's freezing sphere
17 | Eletroshock Theropy | insanity
18 | Perform! | otto's irrestiable dance**
19 | Strike Stride | greater teleport
20+ | Storm Rage | ?[/table]
* See below.
** The target performs martial arts forms rather than dancing.

Lightning Avatar, Greater (Sp): ...

Lightning Avatar (Sp): ...

Lightning Avatar, Lesser (Sp): ...

Edit: I'd be perfectly willing to help you stat out the Electric Disc abilities. Simply state, as clearly as you can, exactly how you want them to function and I'll translate them into d20-rules-ese for you.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-14, 11:03 PM
the lighning Avatar has been giveing me headaches at first it summoned a Elemental that was like a Fire elelmental subsitude eletricity. I didn't like that one after thinking about it. then I thought about BECOMEING the lightning Avatar witch was really cool in my head.

As for StormRage Its in the Complete Divine..basicly...You become circled with a tornado and you can shoot lightning bolts out of your eyes. a 9th level spell i belive so i wanted it to be very hard to do.

I did do a little bit on the Eletric disc if you didnt look, and I like what you've done. Very clean and easy to understand. What exactly do you suggest for the wording of the Lightning Avatar latter?

levi
2007-11-14, 11:11 PM
Damn, you're fast. As for Lightning Avatar, give me a second to think about it and I'll see what I can come up with.

In regards to the whole issue regarding saves, it's an issue with d20 as a whole. Whenever any character multiclasses, it gains a +2 boost in any good saves the later class has.

If you dislike this, there is a variant somewhere (I can't remember where exactly) that only gives the boost on the good saves of the first class a character takes. Basically, when multiclassing, subtract 2 from all good saves a class grants. I'll see if I can locate the full text of the variant for you.

I found it here. (http://64.223.12.31/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20060303a). It's not really a fully written out variant. Rather, it's an article explaining how fractional BAB and saves could be implimented, with a small mention of the +2 to good saves thing. It also discusses the pros and cons of this variant.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-14, 11:17 PM
Teehee I type slightly slower then I think so yeah...I look alot for places to type.

As for the varient...I like I like. almost all lawful peaple in my game take a level of monk..just for saves I wanna fix that but I need suggestions. I love that idea in acuality muhahaha Take that super champ...freakin Human.CN Figh1/Monk1/Barbarian10

As for the Eletric Disc I want it to be able to carry stuff. Allow for a (DBZ Refrance) Nimbus Cloud like ride, and deal damage as a speical monk weapon. over time extending to create a line of lightning. and better flying over time. But I think it worked out pretty well..I'll see your take on it.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-16, 12:38 AM
I wanted to know if anyone Has any other complains..comments...hate mail? ...racial slurs on gnomes?...Rediculous comments about this being ment for Rifts?..professions of love for Tengu? anything??