PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cleric Build Assistance

metalith
2021-06-12, 09:24 AM
I've been playing in a Pathfinder game for the past for months. My previous PC is no longer available to play, so needing to bring in a new PC. I was occupying the support/healer role and used shadow/illusion to help when not doing support. My new PC still needs to be able to fulfill that healing role. However, I'm looking to be of a more offensive support build this time around. The characters in this game are all morally questionable and may end up sliding into evil alignments but we are not starting off that way. Our GM uses a 4D6 stat roll no drop and I got REALLY lucky.

Human Lv 3
Cleric of Yog-Sothoth
True Neutral

Str 18
Dex 23
Con 22
Int 20
Wis 24+2=26
Cha 20
Domain: Void (Dark Tapestry) & either Travel or Darkness

I am open to changing most things except being a Cleric of Yog-Sothoth. I am leaning toward focusing on summoning monsters. Archetypes I'm looking at are Ecclesitheurge and Herald Caller as archetypes, but I'm leery of the Ecclesitheurge lack of AC with no way to boost it and the limitation and strength of Chaotic Neutral only summons for the Herald Caller. But open to suggestions here as well. I have no interest in the Elder Mythos cultist archetype.

Party make up: Goblin Street Performer Bard, Kobold Ninja, Oread Gladiator Fighter, and Sprite Arcanist

Kurald Galain
2021-06-12, 09:55 AM
Healing is straightforward: you want the channel positive energy ability, and as a non-evil cleric of a non-evil god you can do that. Take the Selective Channeling feat and you're all set to be an effective in-combat healer.

Support is also straightforward: you use cleric spells like Prayer, Archon's Aura, Communal Resist, and so forth.

Summoning is a bit less straightforward. First, you need a good list to summon from (and note that Herald Caller does not do that, instead it reduces your list by rather a lot). Second, you want to spend a bunch of feats on this (Augment Summoning, Superior Summoning, possibly Expanded Summon Monster). And third, it's very nice to get the ability to summon as a standard action, and the cleric has no real way of getting that. Depending on how optimized your party is, of course.

I should add that with ludicriously high stats as those, you're probably better off dealing damage as a frontliner than as a summoner.

metalith
2021-06-12, 10:07 AM
Healing is straightforward: you want the channel positive energy ability, and as a non-evil cleric of a non-evil god you can do that. Take the Selective Channeling feat and you're all set to be an effective in-combat healer.

Support is also straightforward: you use cleric spells like Prayer, Archon's Aura, Communal Resist, and so forth.

Summoning is a bit less straightforward. First, you need a good list to summon from (and note that Herald Caller does not do that, instead it reduces your list by rather a lot). Second, you want to spend a bunch of feats on this (Augment Summoning, Superior Summoning, possibly Expanded Summon Monster). And third, it's very nice to get the ability to summon as a standard action, and the cleric has no real way of getting that. Depending on how optimized your party is, of course.

I should add that with ludicriously high stats as those, you're probably better off dealing damage as a frontliner than as a summoner.

Understood about the stats, but he warned up that the monsters are tuned to account for us being power. I lost my previous PC on dice rolls of death. Multiple back to back nat 20 rolls. I added a write up of the rest of the party. The Arcanist and I are probably the most optimized of the party before my PC died. We have the most D&D experience and could translate that in Pathfinder. The rest of the party is not so much.

Kurald Galain
2021-06-12, 10:19 AM
he warned up that the monsters are tuned to account for us being power.

So the party has extra-high stats, and the monsters have extra-high stats... so unless your summons also get extra-high stats, they are not such a great option in this campaign.

metalith
2021-06-12, 10:42 AM
I asked and the GM told me all monsters including summons are being buffed. Since I wondered about that before for my first PC but I hadn't used Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally yet.

*Update* So I talked with the GM about specifics and he advised he is using the Advanced Creature Template on each enemy to match our higher stats. He said that when I summon a creature I can use the Advanced Creature Template to add to the base stats before anything of my own.