PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Underworld Inspired Setting/Campaign

werescythe
2021-06-12, 02:28 PM
So I was researching Hades and Persephone (possibly as a part of the cleric subclass I was working on) and I came up with this bizarre campaign/setting idea, where it takes place in the Underworld (not to be confused with the Underdark) that takes some elements from a few mythical variants of the underworld (including Greek, Egyptian, Sumerian (Babylonian) and perhaps Japanese) and mixes them together, with the gods of these mythologies while still serving as gods, function as different lords within the realm. In addition I want to give the setting a sort of Las Vegas/Night City (Cyberpunk 2077) feel.

The setting takes place mostly in the city (might call it Underhaven) with the party working within it's walls and occasionally going outside for work.

It should also be noted that I personally feel that Hades is usually treated as being more evil than the original tales involving him would indicate, so in this setting he will be Lawful Neutral instead of Lawful Evil.

Now there are a few things I need help with. One is explaining how characters actual function in this setting as I don't want characters to be ghost/phantoms but still living, breathing characters. So how did they come to be in this realm? Any suggestions for this will be appreciated.

I will say that in this world resurrection spells don't quite function the same. Since the characters are in the underworld if a character dies within a lord's territory, the party will need to make a deal with that territory's lord in order for the character to be brought back.

The second thing that I could use help with coming up with some unique ideas for the setting, so feel free to offer any suggestions (especially when it comes to other interpretations of the Underworld).

Sorinth
2021-06-12, 02:44 PM
The Theros book has a chapter dedicated to this exact concept so may be worth checking out.

Heavenblade
2021-06-12, 02:56 PM
Im kind of tired rn so I might edit in ideas later. But right now - if you haven't yet, listening to the amazing musical Hadestown is advised. Besudes being an amazing sung-through musical, it also playes around the idea of a metaphorical underworld in an american-city setting (different from what you presnted, but still).

werescythe
2021-06-12, 03:11 PM
The Theros book has a chapter dedicated to this exact concept so may be worth checking out.

Im kind of tired rn so I might edit in ideas later. But right now - if you haven't yet, listening to the amazing musical Hadestown is advised. Besudes being an amazing sung-through musical, it also playes around the idea of a metaphorical underworld in an american-city setting (different from what you presnted, but still).

I will definitely have to look into these. Thank you. :smallsmile:

EggKookoo
2021-06-12, 03:18 PM
If you can find a copy, go dig up the White Wolf game Wraith: The Oblivion. The mechanics are totally not D&D, being a World of Darkness game, but it's a treasure trove of ideas for playing in a post-life underworld setting with characters that are both physical and spectral.

werescythe
2021-06-12, 04:27 PM
I was mostly looking for ideas on what mythical aspects of the underworld would be fun to work in, but these suggestions work too. :smallwink: