PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.5 Are there classes whose casting/manifesting ability is physical?

ciopo
2021-06-13, 03:11 AM
I'm just wondering, seeing how Incarnum is mostly constitution based, if there are any class out there that give "spellcasting / manifesting / other subsystem" whose "bonus spell per day / DC of stuff / must be this tall to X" are based on STR/DEX/CON .

Right now, the only thing that comes to mind are singular class features, like for example Fist of the forest CON to AC, or the DC of singular special attack/ability, but not of classes whose "theme" is "you derive magical stuff from your body"

A bit like pathfinder kineticist, to have a comparison.

I would have said Runescarred berserker would have fit the bill if what it needed to scribe his scars was Constitution, but it's Wisdom based

Gruftzwerg
2021-06-13, 03:50 AM
I'm just wondering, seeing how Incarnum is mostly constitution based, if there are any class out there that give "spellcasting / manifesting / other subsystem" whose "bonus spell per day / DC of stuff / must be this tall to X" are based on STR/DEX/CON .

Right now, the only thing that comes to mind are singular class features, like for example Fist of the forest CON to AC, or the DC of singular special attack/ability, but not of classes whose "theme" is "you derive magical stuff from your body"

A bit like pathfinder kineticist, to have a comparison.

I would have said Runescarred berserker would have fit the bill if what it needed to scribe his scars was Constitution, but it's Wisdom based

Right of the bat I can't tell any class with STR/DEX/CON as casting attribute.

The sole thing that closely comes to my mind are that a warlock has multiple build options that can totally ignore his casting stat (CHA) and even dump it (into the negatives). Not exactly what you are asking, but the closest thing that comes to my mind atm.

the other option/workaround would be to make your chaster stat more useful in combat (with adding them to attack/dmg via special abilities).

Tzardok
2021-06-13, 04:19 AM
In 3.0 the casting attribute of the psion was dependend on which discipline the psion specialized in, with each of the six disciplines having a different attribute. That was changed in 3.5 to Int for everyone. (3.0 psionics were kind of a mess.)

Other than that I don't remember any. Sorry.

thethird
2021-06-13, 04:39 AM
Depending on the illumian runes you could switch your casting stat to dex or str. Awfb but if memory serves it's only for bonus spells.

daremetoidareyo
2021-06-13, 09:33 AM
3.0 psionics used physical ability scores in some capacity, but I forget the details.

The only other thing is illumian.

ciopo
2021-06-13, 09:34 AM
thanks everybody, my idle curiosity is satisfied

Particle_Man
2021-06-13, 12:08 PM
Technically the barbarian rage ability runs off con and is almost identical to the rage spell.

Oh and it is pathfinder and has been errata’d, but pre-errata the scarred witch doctor archetype of the witch class was con-based.

Ruethgar
2021-06-13, 12:18 PM
Because they haven’t been mentioned, Hellfire Warlock uses Con as a secondary casting stat in a way. Tainted Sorcerer has similar effects as well, but both still have traditional casting stats.

If PF is allowed, Spheres of Power lets anyone use Con, but at the cost of taking damage in order to cast. It’s not a direct change, but PF also lets you use Cha in place of Con for undead making it effectively the same as using Con.

Khatoblepas
2021-06-13, 12:21 PM
A 9th level dwarf sorcerer can add their con to their cha to determine their bonus spells, too.

ShurikVch
2021-06-13, 04:42 PM
Depending on the illumian runes you could switch your casting stat to dex or str. Awfb but if memory serves it's only for bonus spells.
Dex - also for CL checks to overcoming SR (Uurhoon)

Jaunter PrC (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits) isn't "real spellcaster", but gets number of Travel Powers (from Benign Transposition to Plane Shift) which depend on your Dex score

Also, it's 3rd-party, but Bastards & Bloodlines have the Lost Tradition feat, which allow you to switch your casting stat to any other one (it's 1-time opportunity, but you can choose Str, Dex, or Con)

Darg
2021-06-13, 05:00 PM
Breath weapons are mostly Con based so dragon fire adept and dragon shaman.

Thurbane
2021-06-13, 05:29 PM
Also, it's 3rd-party, but Bastards & Bloodlines have the Lost Tradition feat, which allow you to switch your casting stat to any other one (it's 1-time opportunity, but you can choose Str, Dex, or Con)

Lost Tradition (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?184265-Switching-casting-stats-(3-5)&p=10203238#post10203238) is one of the only 3rd party feats I allow in my game, but I put the following additional restraints on it: only dual stat casters (Favored Soul, Archivist etc.) may select it, and you may only select from Int, Wis or Cha.

As written, it would be a great feat to allow a D&D version of Flex Mentallo! :smallbiggrin:

https://cdn1-www.superherohype.com/assets/uploads/2019/05/Doom-Patrol-S1E14-Flex.jpg

Prime32
2021-06-14, 07:16 PM
Meldshaping from Magic of Incarnum is basically Con-based spellcasting, except all its spells (soulmelds) are 24 hour self-buffs that are cast immediately as part of preparing them for the day. And have a special mechanic where normal dispels only suppress them for 1d4 rounds.

Yes there's other stuff in MoI ("investing with essentia" and "binding to chakras"), but they're three separate mechanics and you can gain access to one without the others.

Particle_Man
2021-06-14, 07:57 PM
Although I think the few soulmelds with save DCs are wisdom based. Con is used to determine how many soulmelds you can have at the same time.

Arael666
2021-06-14, 08:15 PM
It's not from another ability score, but Taited Sorcerer can use his taint score for spellcasting in place of hjis usual casting stat for all purposes.

Lans
2021-06-14, 11:41 PM
There was a 3.0 Shugenja variety that used constitution, but I don't recall if it was from OA or one of the 3rd party Rokugan stuff

PraxisVetli
2021-06-15, 12:42 AM
Psionic Prodigy should let you.

https://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Psionic_Prodigy

Psyren
2021-06-15, 01:24 AM
Although I think the few soulmelds with save DCs are wisdom based. Con is used to determine how many soulmelds you can have at the same time.

For Incarnate this is true; Totemist however uses Con for its save DCs (MoI 29).